Page 122 of 458 FirstFirst ... 2272112117118119120121122123124125126127132172222 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 4576

Default Re: What is The Last Movie You Watched?

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    Lewis Milestone's 1930 film of "All Quiet on the Western Front". Poetic, moving and heartbreaking, it remains for me the yardstick by which every serious war film that has followed should be judged.
    Ho ho ho, yeah, right. It's one of those films that repays watching time and again, not only for its wonderful narrative, but also because it was the first major war epic to use sound, and the scene composition and the tracking shots are so innovative.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Delivered in the flattest of voices with an irish brogue

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
    Delivered in the flattest of voices with an irish brogue
    Jasus now, what are you sayin' Shamus?

BTW, did you note the centenary of Flann O'Brien/Myles na Gopaleen/Brian O'Nolan last week? At Swim Two Birds is one of the most sublimely funny books ever written, and I also love (and possess) a wonderful anthology of his columns from the Irish Times. Last Thursday's cryptic crossword in The Guardian was all about him and his work and I'm pleased to say that I finished it without having to resort to my bookshelves.

5 Star Poster

The other guys is a great film

live with honour

Quote Originally Posted by russtafa View Post
    The other guys is a great film
    It made me laugh more than most of that genre, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Lisa do you see many Filipino films? I wanted to see a film called Lola by Brillante Mendoza, esp after his earlier film Kinatay won an award at Cannes a few years ago...I can't get hold of The Amazing Truth About Queen Raquela...None of these films ever make it to the Uk.
    yes i do watch a lot of Filipino films but the recent trend for me has been more on indie films because they're so raw, sometimes they dont cater to the mainstream too much and the directors are very talented...I wanted to watch "Kinatay" but havent seen a good copy around yet, i love to watch in high quality if not in the theater anyway...LAst Filipino film I watched was an indie " Patayin sa Shokot si Remington - Zombadings" just a couple of weeks ago.... I dont know how Filipino DVD copies of movies are distributed in different parts of the world but a good place to look for them is probably online? LOL

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Thanks Lisa -the short answer is that there is a lot of online stuff from the PI but it seems to be mostly soap operas from tv; and at the moment I am not buying anything online. Also, because of region differences the UK/Europe doesn't get the dvd's that are exported, mostly to the USA. However, I know some Filipino people here and will ask about the Remington film, which presumably is about shaving...

Bald Headed Old Fart Professional Poster BigDF's Avatar

Fried Green TomatoesI think this is one of the best performances I've seen from Kathy Bates and I always love watching Jessica Tandy.

I want to make you gasp and sigh!

Live to Love, Love to Live

http://brittanystjordan.com/

Vasto Lorde Gold Poster Quiet Reflections's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigDF View Post
    Fried Green TomatoesI think this is one of the best performances I've seen from Kathy Bates and I always love watching Jessica Tandy.
    I actually really like that movie. Last one I watched was I am Number Four

Senior Member Platinum Poster

The other night I watched Inarritu's Biutiful -I am a fan of most of his films, particularly Babel- and Biutiful gives an alternative view of Barcelona to the postcard city of Las Ramblas and that hideous squashed-wedding-cake architecture of Gaudi. This is a Barcelona of African and Chinese immigrants working on the margins of society and barely surviving -Javier Bardem plays a dysfunctional dad moving between the immigrants and the law, a middle-man with a conscience: I was moved by his fate. Interesting to compare this aspect of modern city life in Europe with the Woody Allen version in which -even in New York City- there are no blacks, no homosexuals, people dress and shop and live at a level barely even dreamed of by Chinese sweat shop labourers, but I don't suppose anyone ever accused Woody Allen of being realistic. Wonder how Inarritu's Barcelona compares to Allen's, as I didn't see his version of the city.