Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Junior Poster

Didn't know that about Slumdog Millionaire.

But of course going to see a movies is a choice but did you ever come out of a movie feeling you wasted 3 hours and 40 dollars if you were on a date. I tried to do as much research as possible before investing those 3 hours for seeing 5 shit movies in a row and 200 bucks later yes I consider it robbery. Also my stupidity when these actors are getting paid big bucks and their performances sux.

Btw Sean Penn in Milk was flawless performance and that was worth every penny.

Just Like when I paid 500 pounds for a Chelsea match at the bridge against West Ham and the game was boring. It was my choice but never again will I pay that much money when the players like John Terry are being paid how many pounds a year and plays a half ass game. And Scolari leaves Drogba on the bench the whole 1st half, my favorite player.

I really liked Vanilla Sky and Eyes wide shut. This movie looked appealing, but I don't like watching movies that you already know the ending to. I have also heard some pretty bad reviews as well.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by AmyDaly
    I really liked Vanilla Sky and Eyes wide shut. This movie looked appealing, but I don't like watching movies that you already know the ending to. I have also heard some pretty bad reviews as well.
    So Amy would Tom Cruise get the honor of a bubble bath with you if he wanted ?

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by nosurrender69
    Ugh. Valkyrie sucks all sorts of ass.
    have you even seen this movie yet?....
    or is this just some assumption?

Not that you should listen to critics buts....read some reviews before you nay say just cause you think Tom cruise is a looney...which Im not denying...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...03921619.story
    Yeah I saw a cut for award review purposes. It plays fast and loose with history. It also really doesn't flow well.

As I said I put aside Cruises looney religous views. I loved him in War of the Worlds for instance. A lot of people didn't realise that Tom and his two kids represented the three classic reactions to danger - flight, fight or the inability to do anything. It was beautifuly constructed and he played it really well. Valkyrie on the other hand feels like a vanity piece.

The best film at the moment is probably Aronofsky's The Wrestler with Mickey Rourke, thats a work of art.

I could see how people like Benjamin Button but it just didn't work for me, it felt too cold and sterile and I really didn't feel the empathy I was supposed too.

Slumdog Millionaire is simple but quite beautifully done.

This year really doesn't have the punch of some other years with award season films. Very few of them actually work. Valkyrie is a classic example. On paper it's a decent basis for a film but Cruise really doesn't work in the role and the whole thing never really comes together like it should.

One thing with Cruise is for most of his career he has played variations on the same character.

Name the Cruise film -

He is arrogant and cocky, he does something dumb, things go wrong, someone helps him see the light, he learns a important life lesson.

Risky Business, All the Right Moves, Top Gun, Rain Man, The Firm on and on all through his career it's largely variations on a theme. It worked well playing teenagers and 20 somethings, less so as a 30 somethiong and it works even less now as a 40 something. By the time you are 40 you shouldn't need to be taught important life lessons. That's why on the whole his career isn't what it was because the standard Tom Cruise character archetype is personality wise a young man. He's too old to play that guy anymore.

Cruise has acting talent but frankly I dont know if he has the right look, voice or attitude to really work that well in his 40's and 50's. I'm sure he will still do some good films but I think he'll be more inconsistent now because his fallback role doesn't suit him anymore.

Valkyrie's main character is played like the standard Cruise character and as I said that doesn't work for a 40 something.

i saw that curious case of benjamin buttons instead ,cause we were bored @ home....it was real good but like 3 hours long !!!

u will be fucking fat bitches in no time

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodbuckstrap
    i saw that curious case of benjamin buttons instead ,cause we were bored @ home....it was real good but like 3 hours long !!!
    Did you connect with the characters? I'm interested because I wanted to like it so much but it felt like a museum peice to me beautiful but a little cold and sterile. It might just be me though.

Quote Originally Posted by rico87
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyDaly
    So Amy would Tom Cruise get the honor of a bubble bath with you if he wanted ?
    Oh yea

As long as there was no Xenu involved

i seem to remember another movie about this, goggled and found nothing......

Veteran Poster

The best film at the moment is probably Aronofsky's The Wrestler with Mickey Rourke, thats a work of art.
    I love his shit I really need to check that out. and i think the fountain is very, very underrated. It was brilliant. I really think is transcended standard storytelling motif's and it's one of my favorites films he's done.

Sorry wasn't trying to dog on you but it really gets my goat when people assume actors make the movie.....and they only go because they like or dislike the actors.

I do think Cruise can be very "stale" but I think has done some decent stuff last 10 years like Collateral and I think his performance was alright in the Last Samurai but Ken Watanabe really carried that film.

nosurrender69

Professional Poster EyeCumInPiece's Avatar

Ill go see it, although im not expecting much. I think Tom Cruise gets a bad rap. Hes not my fav. actor but he certainly isnt the worst. Vanilla sky, eyes wide shut, Interview with a vampire, Collateral, ect were all outstanding.

"I used to say that politics was the second oldest profession, and I have come to know that it bears a gross similarity to the first."
    -Ronald Reagan