Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Veteran Poster

The rip-offs were in Miami, where the storms didn't even come close to. Most of our liberals live down there, and they are always looking for a federal hand-out.

Thank you for helping prove my point. FEMA was handing out cash, small appliances and other aid like candy. Considering the margin of victory in the prior election was supposedly 537 votes, statewide (though I still say it was actually by 1 vote, 5-4), I'm guessing that 21 million dollars for hurricane relief to people who were not in hurricane might curry a little voter favor for the candy man signing those checks.

FK

samstl99:

Thank you for the ups on my post. However, I would like to point out one thing. The Federal Government can go into any area in the country by invoking the provisions of The Insurrection Act, 10 U.S.C. § 331 et. seq.

Some of the interesting provisions of the Act allow for the Federalization of the National Guard (putting them under the immediate and direct control of the president). If the State (usually applied to mean a State or group of States, but does apply to other US protectorates) cannot protect its citizens constitutional rights or cannot guarantee the implemenation of Federal Law, then the president can move in without any prior notice or request.

While done without prior notice, the President is to issue a proclamation to 'disperse' to any insurrgents.

What is interesting about this Act and this debate about Katrina is that the President did consider using the Act, but did not want to abide by a number of its strictures. The Act has numerous regulations that are checks of Presidential power. It also has very strict reporting requirements to congress. It has beenn said that those were the reasons, among others, that Bush declined to use the Act. It was also suggested that the President wanted Louisiana to foot the bill for relief efforts, and that the use of the Act would not only thwart that goal, but would also take the cost of the National Gaurd troops from the Louisiana and place on the Federal Government's tab.

Rookie Poster

Bush appoints me to say, fuck all you tranny chasers. I got Jeff Gannon, Talon News biotch.

KD

200 whitehouse visits Biotch. top that!!!!!

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by brickcitybrother
    samstl99:

Thank you for the ups on my post. However, I would like to point out one thing. The Federal Government can go into any area in the country by invoking the provisions of The Insurrection Act, 10 U.S.C. § 331 et. seq.

Some of the interesting provisions of the Act allow for the Federalization of the National Guard (putting them under the immediate and direct control of the president). If the State (usually applied to mean a State or group of States, but does apply to other US protectorates) cannot protect its citizens constitutional rights or cannot guarantee the implemenation of Federal Law, then the president can move in without any prior notice or request.

While done without prior notice, the President is to issue a proclamation to 'disperse' to any insurrgents.

What is interesting about this Act and this debate about Katrina is that the President did consider using the Act, but did not want to abide by a number of its strictures. The Act has numerous regulations that are checks of Presidential power. It also has very strict reporting requirements to congress. It has beenn said that those were the reasons, among others, that Bush declined to use the Act. It was also suggested that the President wanted Louisiana to foot the bill for relief efforts, and that the use of the Act would not only thwart that goal, but would also take the cost of the National Gaurd troops from the Louisiana and place on the Federal Government's tab.
    Brick, I dont have a problem replying back to your posts as I believe we can discuss a topic intelligently. Some of the others are wayy too emotional about things.

The Insurrection Act's intent was to be used in the event of Civil unrest and times when the state is incapable of taking care of its citizens. In essence is close to enacting Martial Law. You have to remember that it is a last recourse for any president to have the military run or control any US soil. With all the information the the Government was giving to the State it is reasonable to believe that the Governor and mayor would take heed and do what they needed to do for their citizens.

While Bush was an idiot for saying... no one could have ever thought........etc etc..

What he should have said was.. No one would have ever thought that the State and Local officials would have ignored the warnings and failed to assist their citizens. To make that assumption and send in the National Guard BEFORE the state does or doesnt do anything would have been met with even MORE outcries from people (conservative and Liberal). The problem that I have with Bush is his God Complex. He thinks that he is the power almighty on this world. And for him to intervene in state affairs prematurely would have been the worst thing.

Again, who knew that the Mayor and Governor were buffoons.

Junior Poster

samstl99:

You could have never been so WRONG. You constantly say that the mayor and governor are to blame for what happened. Are you kidding me? What facts do you to support this? Here are some facts:

1. The school buses that everyone seems to throw as proof there was transportation out of the area. The city didn't own them. Even if commandeered, who was going to drive them? Over 1.3 million people had already left the area, including OPSB drivers who left with their family.

2. The devastation of New Orleans was not caused by Katrina. It was caused by a man-made failure of the levees. Those levees were created and maintained by the Army Corps of Engineers. That's a federal agency run by the federal budget, created by the U.S. president.

3. New Orleans is not New York City. Louisiana is not New York. No way can "WE" (yes, I'm a native) can fund such a project without FEDERAL assistance.

4. Have you read the documents Louisiana submitted to Congress for review? There were several messages, including a phone call from the governor to the White House asking the White House for assistance prior to landfall. There were several written requests. The White House had two responses: We don't remember the phone call and the State has to resubmit the request for documentation purposes because there's no recollection of receiving it..

5. Hell, even Michael Brown has admitted the feds dropped the ball on the whole ordeal. Then again, it's Michael Brown. Does he count for anything.

Now, I'm no big fan of the governor and while I may have an affiliation with the mayor, I have no loyalty to him as well (live in a different parish). His fate was sealed prior to Chocolate City. But to say a small, underfunded state should hold the brundt of the blame in a slip up in HOMELAND SECURITY is absolutely ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by samstl99
    While Bush was an idiot for saying... no one could have ever thought........etc etc..

What he should have said was.. No one would have ever thought that the State and Local officials would have ignored the warnings and failed to assist their citizens. To make that assumption and send in the National Guard BEFORE the state does or doesnt do anything would have been met with even MORE outcries from people (conservative and Liberal). The problem that I have with Bush is his God Complex. He thinks that he is the power almighty on this world. And for him to intervene in state affairs prematurely would have been the worst thing.

Again, who knew that the Mayor and Governor were buffoons.
    "I was impressed by [Michael Brown's] willingness to accept responsibility for how incompetent everyone else was. He candidly admitted he was too trusting, too able, too overskilled to deal with all the retards around him. Overall, Jon, a heartfelt and stirring you-a culpa."
    - Rob Corddry, correspondent on The Daily Show

Brownie, is that you? LOL

you can see the entire intentionally hilarious clip here
    http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/t...ry/index.jhtml

FK

Professional Poster

I like how you try and spin so simple an issue onto C. Rice's shoulders. Theres a big difference between SOS and CIC.

Once again, a republican attempts to shift blame by crying "Cant we all just get along".

Ummm..no, fuck off..thank you and come again.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by General124
    samstl99:

You could have never been so WRONG. You constantly say that the mayor and governor are to blame for what happened. Are you kidding me? What facts do you to support this? Here are some facts:

1. The school buses that everyone seems to throw as proof there was transportation out of the area. The city didn't own them. Even if commandeered, who was going to drive them? Over 1.3 million people had already left the area, including OPSB drivers who left with their family.

2. The devastation of New Orleans was not caused by Katrina. It was caused by a man-made failure of the levees. Those levees were created and maintained by the Army Corps of Engineers. That's a federal agency run by the federal budget, created by the U.S. president.

3. New Orleans is not New York City. Louisiana is not New York. No way can "WE" (yes, I'm a native) can fund such a project without FEDERAL assistance.

4. Have you read the documents Louisiana submitted to Congress for review? There were several messages, including a phone call from the governor to the White House asking the White House for assistance prior to landfall. There were several written requests. The White House had two responses: We don't remember the phone call and the State has to resubmit the request for documentation purposes because there's no recollection of receiving it..

5. Hell, even Michael Brown has admitted the feds dropped the ball on the whole ordeal. Then again, it's Michael Brown. Does he count for anything.

Now, I'm no big fan of the governor and while I may have an affiliation with the mayor, I have no loyalty to him as well (live in a different parish). His fate was sealed prior to Chocolate City. But to say a small, underfunded state should hold the brundt of the blame in a slip up in HOMELAND SECURITY is absolutely ridiculous.

Ok lets take care of these ONE by ONE.

The buses were there... We agree on that. ALSO Greyhound was there as well. Now while a private company could have easily made the offer to drive people out, the City officials should have pointed to them, commandeered the Buses (in which the City does pay a fee for in the end). Also Emergency personnel that were still in the city were available. To use the excuse...OHH we didnt get the busses rolling because we didnt know if anyone could drive them is a lame excuse. Get the Buses, and you will find people to drive them.. That is a LAME LAME excuse. It is NOT hard to drive a bus. Give me a break on this one

2 On the levees, I agree that was a fuck up by everyone involved. FEMA and everyone. However I believe there were two plans submitted. One was to shore up the current levee, and make it stronger and stable, and the other was to upgrade the levee system to handle a Category 4 storm and improve drainage in the surrounding parishes. While this is a major screw up. You cannot expect a levee to save an area that is below Sea level, under catastrophic events. The levee is not a guarantee. Also the Army Corp of engineer projects are dualy funded by both state and Federal funding. The ACE is more of a planning/management and structural engineering mechanism.

3 You say that NO is not New York City. I agree. But lets talk about a reasonable comparison.

In 1993 St Louis was hit by a flood that had never been seen in 200 years. It devasted the entire area. this is a slow process, the levees were not holding. Did we get FEMA intervention before the flood.. NO. we did get Red Cross, and after the collapse of the levees FEMA came in. Now after all this destruction from collapsed levees and large amounts of rain fall did we get Federal Funding to fix the Levees? But before we go there.. for 20 years the State of MO had proposals in with the AC of Engineers to improve and upgrade the levees and it was denied. Two years prior we had flooding that pushed the levees to its limits. THen 93 came and destroyed everything in its path. AGAIN everyone saw it coming. YES a large amount of lives were not lost, but the damage to the property was unbelievable.

SO now we have rebuild the levees. The Federal Govt subsidized it but they only contributed 20 % of the funding to do this. The rest came from the state.. and we are NOT NEW YORK either.

The Bottom line is that FEMA is NOT designed to respond pre-disater.

Michael Brown is going and was going to say anything as to not make him the single target of scrutiny.. when he is an Idiot and should have never been appointed to the position by Bush.. who was an idiot for putting him there.

Bottom line is the BLAME for the lives lost belong to the sheer fact that there was NO emergency plan by the city and State. PERIOD. They failed to act. EVEN if the levees had been done and in place.. They are not a guarantee that this would not have happened as Katrina was a Category 4 storm that just prior to coming ashore was a Cat 4 storm. The new levees would have been rated for a Category 4 storm. But again, you cannot rely upon those levees. The city would have still needed to be evacuated. so there is some blame on the Fed Government for not helping fund the levees. But if the state doesnt come up with their end of the funding, then the project dies.. or gets replanned.

I dont care if your are Chocolate City Man's brother. He is a Buffoon, and a coward. The governor is just as dense. If they could NOT handle the situation then they needed to Request Federal assistance... to which they NEVER did. All your mayor did is flee the city and basically said to his citizens.. "Fuck you I am outta here... I aint gonna die"

Brick's points are dead On.. I agree with him.. But you cannot look past the liability that lays on the heads of the mayor and governor.

Quote Originally Posted by samstl99
    Quote Originally Posted by brickcitybrother
    samstl99:

Brick, I dont have a problem replying back to your posts as I believe we can discuss a topic intelligently. Some of the others are wayy too emotional about things.

The Insurrection Act's intent was to be used in the event of Civil unrest and times when the state is incapable of taking care of its citizens. In essence is close to enacting Martial Law. You have to remember that it is a last recourse for any president to have the military run or control any US soil.
    My point was that Bush could have gone in without a request from either the Mayor or Governor and did [b]actually[/b] consider use of the Insurrection Act. Since my post was directed to pre-Katrina actions, I'm not attempting to reply to your comment about the post-disaster actions.