Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

speck:

I would not normally respond to your post. However, I singled the direction of my post to pre-disaster matters. Your criticisms of everyone is post-disaster. The importance of the post is that a disaster can happen ANYWHERE. The importance of FEMA was lost. Now its been found - just too late.

Veteran Poster

This is why I didn't vote for Bush.

Kanye is right.

If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything.

*Out of respect for the women here I've officially retired the 2nd half of my signature*

Platinum Poster

White House Told New Orleans Would Flood BEFORE Katrina Hit...

White House Was Told Hurricane Posed Danger

By ERIC LIPTON
    Published: January 24, 2006
    WASHINGTON, Jan. 23 - The White House was told in the hours before Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans that the city would probably soon be inundated with floodwater, forcing the long-term relocation of hundreds of thousands of people, documents to be released Tuesday by Senate investigators show.

more here-

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/24/na...erland&emc=rss

Yet another bush lie...

"I don't think anyone anticipated the breach of the levees," Mr. Bush said in a television interview on Sept. 1. "Now we're having to deal with it, and will."

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by chefmike
    White House Told New Orleans Would Flood BEFORE Katrina Hit...

White House Was Told Hurricane Posed Danger

By ERIC LIPTON
    Published: January 24, 2006
    WASHINGTON, Jan. 23 - The White House was told in the hours before Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans that the city would probably soon be inundated with floodwater, forcing the long-term relocation of hundreds of thousands of people, documents to be released Tuesday by Senate investigators show.

more here-

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/24/na...erland&emc=rss

Yet another bush lie...

"I don't think anyone anticipated the breach of the levees," Mr. Bush said in a television interview on Sept. 1. "Now we're having to deal with it, and will."

First of Brick you are right.. poor planning by the Bush Administration was clearly evident and effected how things were handled after the Hurricane. they all should be held accountable for that. I am with you

Onto Chef mike. The Federal Government cannot intervene in state matters prior to a declaration of disaster unless an official request from the state is filed with the Federal Government. No such request was sent there fore you cannot hold the Fed Government responsible for failiure to act... even as much as you hate Bush.. and want to blame him.. in this case you just cant do it.

The Mayor and Governor are to blame for the lives that were lost in NO. The Fed Gov was warning them.. giving them notice... but they didnt listen. As easy as it is to Blame Bush for everything that is wrong...sometimes we miss the real targets. The Mayor and Governor have gone mostly unscathed in all of this... when they should be flogged publicly for their crimes.. (just kidding). Maybe in the new CHOCOLATE city.. everything will be Bon Bons and Ice Cream...

God that Mayor is Whacko!!

Platinum Poster

You are one of the biggest bush apologists on this board...

It's always, I don't like bush, but.... blah, blah, blah...

The mayor of NO is whacko? Very possible judging by his recent statements.....

But shrubya is the numero uno whacko...

We will see what the investigations regarding katrina, wiretapping, rove, etc will conclude....

And then you can offer more excuses for the worst prez ever...

Junior Poster

Chef Mike. I didnt Vote for Bush.. and I am not an apologist for Bush. I am not defending him just to defend him. But if someone has the facts wrong.. or is someone that bashes Bush (or anyone for that matter)..just because they have one side of the information.. I am going to point out the other side.

Platinum Poster

PS...are you denying the administration wasn't caught in a colossal lie regarding katrina?...let's cut to the chase....another lie..

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by chefmike
    PS...are you denying the administration wasn't caught in a colossal lie regarding katrina?...let's cut to the chase....another lie..
    You just kill me. A Colossal Lie. you forgot to read this part.

A White House spokesman, asked about the seeming contradiction between Mr. Bush's statement on Sept. 1 and the warning as the storm approached, said the president meant to say that once the storm passed and it initially looked as if New Orleans had gotten through the hurricane without catastrophic damage, no one anticipated at that point that the levees would be breached.

We all Know that Bush is not the sharpest tool in the shed.. and he says things incorrectly. I know he is the President and he shouldnt. But he does.. there are Countless numbers of Bush-isms flying around because he has a tendency for vere from the prepared speech.

EVEN if he meant to say what he said. THe Bottom line is that The STATE of Louisiana and City of NO are at fault.. PERIOD. you are soo bent on blaming Bush that you are missing who the real idiots are. Sure Bush fucked up.. BRICK did a great job showing how his delegation ability is that of a 6th grader.. and how it effected the AFTERMATH of the Hurricane.

No matter what.. you always want to blame Bush for everything.. you are not an openminded individual.

Platinum Poster

White House slowing Katrina inquiry, senators say
    By Lara Jakes Jordan, Associated Press Writer | January 24, 2006

WASHINGTON --The White House is crippling a Senate inquiry into the government's sluggish response to Hurricane Katrina by barring administration officials from answering questions and failing to hand over documents, senators leading the investigation said Tuesday.
    In some cases, staff at the White House and other federal agencies have refused to be interviewed by congressional investigators, said the top Republican and Democrat on the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee. In addition, agency officials won't answer seemingly innocuous questions about times and dates of meetings and telephone calls with the White House, the senators said.

A White House spokesman said the administration is committed to working with separate Senate and House investigations of the Katrina response but wants to protect the confidentiality of presidential advisers.

"No one believes that the government responded adequately," said Sen. Joe Lieberman, D-Conn. "And we can't put that story together if people feel they're under a gag order from the White House."

more here-

http://www.boston.com/news/local/con..._senators_say/

Platinum Poster

Opinion
    Robert Schlesinger: Anticipation redux Robert Schlesinger
    Tue Jan 24, 11:14 AM ET

When this administration is consigned to history's wastebin, an appropriate epitaph may be: "I don't think anyone anticipated ..." Go ahead and fill in the blank.

It undoubtedly falls squarely into the cateogry of Affirming That Which We Already Knew, but today's Washington Post and New York Times both have inside-the-paper items noting that well, yes, the White House *did* anticipate that the levees in New Orleans would breach during Hurricane Katrina.

From the Post:

page assessment by the Department of Homeland Security's National Infrastructure Simulation and Analysis Center (NISAC), was delivered by e-mail to the White House's "situation room," the nerve center where crises are handled, at 1:47 a.m. on Aug. 29, the day the storm hit, according to an e-mail cover sheet accompanying the document. The NISAC paper warned that a storm of Katrina's size would "likely lead to severe flooding and/or levee breaching" and specifically noted the potential for levee failures along Lake Pontchartrain. It predicted economic losses in the tens of billions of dollars, including damage to public utilities and industry that would take years to fully repair. Initial response and rescue operations would be hampered by disruption of telecommunications networks and the loss of power to fire, police and emergency workers, it said.

You might recall that on September 1, President Bush went on television and peddled this whopper: "I don't think anyone anticipated the breach of the levees," he said. "Now we're having to deal with it, and will."

That talking point sounds an awful lot like Condoleezza Rice a few years back: "I don't think anybody could have predicted that these people would take an airplane and slam it into the World Trade Center, take another one and slam it into the Pentagon, that they would try to use an airplane as a missile."

While I don't have time to google it up, I will not be surprised when an alert reader chimes in with a similar soundbite about how no one could have anticipated post-Saddam chaos in Iraq. (BTW, don't miss the Times piece on the hamstringing of rebuilding efforts.)

Anyway, getting back to today's iteration, the Times brings the capper to the whole thing.

A White House spokesman, asked about the seeming contradiction between Mr. Bush's statement on Sept. 1 and the warning as the storm approached, said the president meant to say that once the storm passed and it initially looked as if New Orleans had gotten through the hurricane without catastrophic damage, no one anticipated at that point that the levees would be breached.
    I'm glad they cleared that up.