Veteran Poster

Default Mike Huckabee on Gay Marriage

Quote Originally Posted by hondarobot Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:14 pm
    I will never mention Vicki Richter again

Default Re: Mike Huckabee on Gay Marriage

Quote Originally Posted by Minutemouse9
    I bet that fat fuck has E.D.

Rookie Poster

I adored that interview! I have a major girlcrush on Jon Stewart, and he was in top form- calm, rational, and with so much insight and respect I was just in awe.

I don't agree with Mike Huckabee on a lot of things, but he does seem like a nice, personable fellow, and I was glad that he engaged Jon on the same respectful level and tried to deepen the same old boring arguments against gay marriag (even if he did fail).

What a great interview, compared to all of the angry shouting matches you usually see. I just don't know how anybody in good conscience could watch it all and still come out against gay marriage!

”Some people move in lesbian circles. I move in bisexual dodecahedrons.”

Shameless Self Promotion:

http://pop-shot.blogspot.com/

I should dislike Huckabee and so many principles he stands for but somehow I can't. What's that about? Is it the grandpa charm? Some of his views are so neo-con it's ridiculous, yet he remains so likeable. Stewart was in rare form.

http://caramelstgirls.com
    Interviews, Reviews and Resources

http://tsdreamland.com
    Photo and Video Galleries

http://caramelsgirls.com
    Glamour, Pinup, Fetish, Goth & BDSM

http://twitter.com/tscaramel
    Caramel on Twitter

Junior Poster

Despite Huckabee's wing-nut neo-christian-facist beliefs, at least he has the ability to listen to and respect other peoples points of view. I've always found that amazing about him.

Jon was great in this interview, I always love it when he allows himself to let loose about a topic. My favorite line of the night:

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality"

Go Jon!

If I knew it was gonna be this kind of party, I'd'a stick my dick in the mashed potatoes!

Rookie Poster

ill do the hating for u all...fuck the grampa coziness...fuck hiding behind a book for ur morals...bullshit...this is the same routine used by "pleasant" conservatives half a century ago when the debate was regarding blacks...garbage, he commands a large viewership and gives comfort and security to people with hateful ideologies by confirming that u can be civil and cordial and merely have a difference of opinion on the matter...fuck no, theres equal rights for all or shameful discrimination, enough of this pacifying the right and their hate just because its dressed up somewhat...

fuck huckabee and fuck his ilk...in some ways i respect sean hannity more...good god that was hard to say

Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by 10th letter
    ill do the hating for u all...fuck the grampa coziness...fuck hiding behind a book for ur morals...bullshit...this is the same routine used by "pleasant" conservatives half a century ago when the debate was regarding blacks...garbage, he commands a large viewership and gives comfort and security to people with hateful ideologies by confirming that u can be civil and cordial and merely have a difference of opinion on the matter...fuck no, theres equal rights for all or shameful discrimination, enough of this pacifying the right and their hate just because its dressed up somewhat...

fuck huckabee and fuck his ilk...in some ways i respect sean hannity more...good god that was hard to say
    10th letter...hmmm...now who could that be?

Welcome back ya crazy hebe.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

The man is shilling a book. He was on NPR a few afternoons ago pushing anti-choice propaganda. It’s true that Huckabee is amicable, polite, listens and responds to what he hears. But don’t mistake those characteristics for reasonableness, respectfulness or even modesty. His views are not well reasoned; they are flawed and based on ancient misconceptions of science and morality. He is not respectful: he does not respect the sanctity of commitment and love when gays, lesbians or the transgendered are involved. He is not modest: he claims to know “the” definition of marriage as handed down by his god who must be the god of us all. Nowhere in the bible that Huckabee carries around will he find a definition of “marriage”. Huckabee’s dream is a dream of coercion: the strait is narrow and everyone should be made to pass through it.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Rookie Poster

I'm not taking sides on the marriage issue, but I don't necessarily think Jon is a good interviewer. It would have been nice if he had let Huckabee actually finish a sentence. This is just a pet peeve of mine about conversational manners on TV. I think what's most important to Jon, as opposed to an interviewer like Charlie Rose, is Jon is all about Jon. Which is why I can't listen to the guy.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

True enough. Jon is first and foremost a comedian. His show is the epitome of rudeness: the “interviews” featuring Riggle and Oliver et. al. usually make me cringe. I can’t imagine being that rude myself. But this is a problem all over the tube with the exception of public television. A contributing factor to the problem is time. Jon will usually slot a guest for a spot that runs less than ten minutes, a spot in which the two will appear to address and explore a complex issue like marriage, or global warming etc. In the case of Jon’s show the discussion is an illusion, because what is usually going on is the guest is selling a book and Jon is helping to create the controversy that will sell it. More “serious” shows (like Chris Matthews) will invite four pundits (pundits, not experts) to a ten minute “discussion” of a complex issue. That’s five people (if you include the host) fighting for ten minutes of exposure to espouse and push their perspective. No wonder American news/talk-shows come off as a fight fest. No wonder those who watch become polarized. These venues are a disservice and a joke. As least Jon and Steven are cognizant of this and endeavor to make us aware of it in their comedy.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.