Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Rookie Poster

some pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13768_168_240.jpg 
Views:	741 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	217140  

Rookie Poster

more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3_215.jpg 
Views:	740 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	217141   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2_676.jpg 
Views:	741 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	217142   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1_862.jpg 
Views:	735 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	217143  

Quote Originally Posted by Angel17TS
    It is law based on religious beliefs, the same as the constitution is based on religious beliefs of the "founding fathers"...
    Actually that's incorrect, neither the Constitution or the articles of the Confederation were based on religion.

If anything the founding fathers went to HUGE lengths to keep religion out of our country's major founding documents. The articles, the constitution, the Federalist essays are all based on logic and logistics almost without exception.

and the same as Christianity is used as the basis for law in the US,
    The origin of American law is generally from British common law, which in this case is more of an issue of political philosophy than religion. You have to remember, a lot of British legal philosophies were based under the theory that the purpose of government is to protect property, that's why some countries in the 16th-18th centuries would execute people for stealing chickens and insignificant property right crimes of that nature.

The issue with abortion & gay marriage does make it sound like our legal system is based on religious principles, but that is a misleading scenario. The problem is our system is based on representative government and therego if enough people want something, there is little in place to prevent them from getting it. This speaks nothing to why they want something, it could be for any or no reason at all (including religious views). Federalist #10 explains this better than I ever could though, and it does indicate that as usual, Hobbs was right on the money in saying that people really shouldn't have enough political power to enact changes... because the masses are often their own worst enemy (slavery had popular approval here for quite a long time, just because the majority want something does not make it right).

Sadly this point is lost on ourselves to such a point that our foreign policy "experts" think democracy is the solution to all that is wrong with the world... nothing is further from the truth. Democracy does nothing to help the realities of this world if all the people in a given land elect are officials of the likes of Jerry Falwell, or Hezbollah.

And maybe its easier to withdraw from life
    With all of its misery and wretched lies
    If we're dead when tomorrow's gone
    The Big Machine will just move on
    Still we cling afraid we'll fall
    Clinging like the memory which haunts us all

It is law based on religious beliefs, the same as the constitution is based on religious beliefs of the "founding fathers"...
    Actually that's incorrect, neither the Constitution or the articles of the Confederation were based on religion.

If anything the founding fathers went to HUGE lengths to keep religion out of our country's major founding documents. The articles, the constitution, the Federalist essays are all based on logic and logistics almost without exception.

The origin of American law is generally from British common law, which in this case is more of an issue of political philosophy than religion. You have to remember, a lot of British legal philosophies were based under the theory that the purpose of government is to protect property, that's why some countries in the 16th-18th centuries would execute people for stealing chickens and insignificant property right crimes of that nature.

The issue with abortion & gay marriage does make it sound like our legal system is based on religious principles, but that is a misleading scenario. The problem is our system is based on representative government and therego if enough people want something, there is little in place to prevent them from getting it. This speaks nothing to why they want something, it could be for any or no reason at all (including religious views). Federalist #10 explains this better than I ever could though, and it does indicate that as usual, Hobbs was right on the money in saying that people really shouldn't have enough political power to enact changes... because the masses are often their own worst enemy (slavery had popular approval here for quite a long time, just because the majority want something does not make it right).

Sadly this point is lost on ourselves to such a point that our foreign policy "experts" think democracy is the solution to all that is wrong with the world... nothing is further from the truth. Democracy does nothing to help the realities of this world if all the people in a given land elect are officials of the likes of Jerry Falwell, or Hezbollah.

Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by SarahG

I disagree or perhaps I didnt explain properly. What I mean to say is not they for example took the bible and used it to write the laws. But the morals and beliefs of the founders and the current politicians are shaped by their religious beliefs. Those beliefs find their way into laws of the society. The west claims to have a separation of Church and State. We however do not have this separation. However, I think both styles of government are equally influenced by religion.

الليالي بدونك اشهد انها تعوف

Junior Poster

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...hoe/article.do

sounds like a barbaric place to me.

<^ . .^>
    ( ©v© )

Quote Originally Posted by whatislove
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23436226-details/Briton+jailed+in+Dubai+after+officials+find+cannab is+weighing+less+than+a+grain+of+sugar+under+his+s hoe/article.do

sounds like a barbaric place to me.
    Holy shit, you're not kidding;

A search by customs officials uncovered a speck of cannabis weighing just 0.003g - so small it would be invisible to the naked eye and weighing less than a grain of sugar - on the tread of one of his shoes.

Dubai International Airport is a major hub for the Middle East and thousands of Britons pass through it every year to holiday in the glamorous beach and shopping haven.

But many of those tourists and business travellers are likely to be unaware of the strict zero-tolerance drugs policy in the UAE.

One man has even been jailed for possession of three poppy seeds left over from a bread roll he ate at Heathrow Airport. Painkiller codeine is also banned.
    Four years in prison for that? damn, and people complain about our drug sentencing.

Rookie Poster

angelts, since you live in Dubai, are you muslim? isn't it difficult being a TS in a muslim family? i only ask because i know of such a situation and it was hell for the girl to transition.

Rookie Poster

[quote="whatislove"]http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23436226-details/Briton+jailed+in+Dubai+after+officials+find+cannab is+weighing+less+than+a+grain+of+sugar+under+his+s hoe/article.do

sounds like a barbaric place to me.[/quote

Hey wow look at what I found.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/randy-..._b_145020.html

"Williams is serving a 25-year-to-life sentence for a "mickey mouse" drug offense that occurred in Albany County back in 1991. Anthony has already served more than 17 years of that sentence, dragged in chains from one maximum-security prison to the next."

Sounds like a BARBARIC place to me.

Fortunately Im smart enough to know a newspaper article doesnt sum up a nation. The day you can actually afford to come here let me know. You can then comment on the society and whether its barbaric or not.

الليالي بدونك اشهد انها تعوف

Senior Member Professional Poster Paladin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by trish
    True or False? Last year a young American boy who was visiting Dubai with his family was molested by several Dubai citizens who were business acquaintances of his father. When the boy’s family filed an official complaint the boy was arrested for homosexuality.
    I cant say, I didnt hear anything about that. There was another case, similiar but the men were charged, and are in Jail. The boy wasnt charged with anything. So sometimes the right thing is done, and sometimes no, as in every legal system.
    The story is true. the family is French and the Fench Government filed an official complaint, but i don't think it went anywhere...
    Yes it did go somewhere, I just said the men are in Jail, and the boy went home, but I believe still comes here as he has some family here. It was in the paper awhile ago.

What are you like 65? You recommend people visit Florida over Dubai. lol
    There are much better beaches is Tahiti, Australia, India, Thailand, Seychelles, Brasil, Antigua, so whats your point.
    Where do i start? How about the water. In FL you can drink the water without getting sick or dying whereas in most of the countries you list, as well as the UAE, you are SOL on that. Heck some of those places, even the ocean - seafront water is not safe.

How about being able to choose one's own religion or not as one desires? That's not the case in the UAE and some other places that you listed either.

But my best is being to cruise up and down well maintained roadways in whaetver car i want without being stopped arbitrarily by the national police. You can even drive on the beach in FL!

Dubai is taking a serious hit with oil prices - just wait until they have to pay off those notes!