Default Dems wimp out again

I just saw an item on CNN saying that Joe LIEberman will get to keep his chairmanship of the Homeland Security Committee. Obama seems to want it that way. Is this a case of keeping your friends close and your enemies closer, or just plain stupidity? Yes, I know that the 'magic 60' is still a possibility if LIEberman continues to caucus with the Dems and the three undecided elections turn out the right way, but sweet Jesus I wanted his head on a pike.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/...ate/index.html

Platinum Poster

I've never liked that weaselly little SOB Lieberman. I also thought he was a lousy VP pick for Gore's ticket. The dems are just holding their nose and being pragmatic as far as future votes go.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Quote Originally Posted by chefmike
    I've never liked that weaselly little SOB Lieberman. I also thought he was a lousy VP pick for Gore's ticket. The dems are just holding their nose and being pragmatic as far as future votes go.
    I know you're right, chef, but still...

This is part of Obama's strategy to 'reach across the aisle' in hopes of putting the last 16 years of bitter partisan acrimony behind us. If he succeeds, he may do great things as president. He may well be the next FDR. I admit that a new 'New Deal' sounds pretty good after 8 years of Shrubya's 'Raw Deal'.

But can he succeed? Hardcore Repubs aren't about to give up the fight. Mitch McConnell and John BONER may be scum, but they aren't pussies. They rule their membership with an iron fist and get the votes the leadership wants - unlike the Dems, who are all over the place, especially those fucking bluedogs. McConnell has out maneuvered Harry Reid at every turn. I'd hoped to see Hillary beat him out for Senate leader, but if she accepts the SoS position Obama has offered, we'll be stuck with Reid.

It doesn't look like Obama is in any hurry to prosecute the enormous number of crimes committed by the Bush WH either. If the neocons get away with all the shit they've pulled, what does that say about American justice? Can we regain world respect if we just let them walk away?

Did we elect a visionary or a milquetoast?

Why is anybody surprized at this? Lieberman isn't the only democrat who's pro-war. Other than his hawkish bullshit, he votes with the party. I thought it was a little wierd that he jumped on the McCain train, but this is still America, where anybody's free to vote their concience & support anybody they please. The only reason there's an "I" in front of his name is because the party didn't take the attack by the blog geeks seriously & he had to knock off their candidate in the general along with the republican. He pulled it off without any help, & that makes him very powerful. You sure as hell don't want to piss him off to the point where he votes against cloture, or bolts the party altogether.

What, exactly, did he do to earn a "punishment" & have his chairs stripped? Campaign for McCain? Not a crime, even in the party. Speak at the republican convention? Independent, remember? He wasn't invited to the democratic convention, let alone given the status of superdelegate like he would have if he still had the "D" connected to his name. I've watched all the clips & can't find anything untoward or uncivil. If McCain had followed his lead & not gone right wing crazy, he might be President elect today. Sorry. All Lieberman did was support the war hawk for President because he's also a war hawk.

The democrats can't afford to lose their gains in the Senate. They haven't been able to stop a filibuster for the last 2 years, & there's been a constant one going on. The only way they've been able to shut up the republicans has been to table whatever legislation the argument is about. Personally, I think Obama's crazy to look at the Senate to fill any executive jobs. He really doesn't owe the Clintons. He got their debt paid off. I think I'd be tapping Bill Richardson as Secretary of State. That's where all the experience & credibility in international affairs is. If they lose Hilary Clinton, they certainly can't afford to lose Lieberman.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~