Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Poster

Default Killing yourself

Some guy decided to burn himself alive on the University of Washington campus. I guess he worked there for awhile but I don't know the details of what drove him to this.

I was just talking to a guy that is still freaked out about this. He unfortunately witness the guy burning.

I was going to try and make a point in not killing yourself. Or try to reason with people to think of others before ruining someone's life. I changed my mind take this as you will.

No Gods, No Kings, Only man

If you do need to kill yourself, at least do it in such a manner that does not involve traumatising innocent bystanders....

I wonder what drove the guy to commit suicide like that.

Insert funny quote here

Junior Poster

On a positive note, in one of the best uses of film making to effectuate change, the film "The Bridge" came out (I think that was the title). Some guy filmed jumpers off the Golden Gate - with the City's permission because they didn't know that was what he was going to do. Now, they're going to be putting up a net.

I love Frisco and the Bay Area (used to live there) but it's a crying shame no one did this before....

As for what makes anyone kill themselves, Nietzche once said that the thought of suicide has helped many a person through a desperate night. He also said it was the ultimate act of personal choice.

I think you're going to see many more suicides (not self-immulation but other more pedestrian gas, gun, train exits) in the future because our recent generations are not as strongly rooted in family and community and religion, which often serve as buffers to the Great Void.

With the advent of the internet and the misperceived intimacy it fosters, as well as the isolationist aspects of modern life from IPOD to overwork to the American shame of taking vacation or questioning authority, I think that people, when faced with horrible disease, poverty or other seemingly impossible hurdles, might reason that suicide works best because they have not availed themselves of these buffers that past generations relied upon to survive.

I hope suicides don't spike. It is the saddest act. I'm quite sure my mother did it but I could never prove it - I just know it.

Rookie Poster

when did this happen?

was it because the university refused to kick willingham off campus?

yessir

Junior Poster

Man, that poor witness will never get the smell of burning flesh out of his mind. That smell if very, very distinct.

Veteran Poster

Don't kill yourself in the state of Washington and miss out on the much anticipated match up of Washington and Washington State!

Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by baileyandkc
    Don't kill yourself in the state of Washington and miss out on the much anticipated match up of Washington and Washington State!
    hahahahaha

post of the day

yessir

I've done my service Platinum Poster Willie Escalade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DL_NL
    I wonder what drove the guy to commit suicide like that.
    Did you see what USC did to the Huskies Saturday?

It's a joke; suicide isn't.

William Escalade is no more. He's done his service to the site.

Professional Poster

Suicide Is Painless.

Junior Poster
    LA, NYC, Denver, Paris, Venice, London, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Moscow, China

whenever you have thoughts or feelings toward hurting yourself you should always wait until the next day. if you do youll see how foolish those thoughts can be. its such a pity that people feel this need to end it all.

"Perception is Reality, until you know better. Always look below the surface and you will never need to judge."