Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Well I'm starting to feel old now.
    My folks were pre rock n roll. Dad was a midwest country boy who didn't get to listen to too much of them new fangled radio thingies until he was grown. He was a big Grand ol' Opry fan, but didn't buy records. So I grew up listening to Mom's big band swing music. I still like it. One of my favorite all time songs is still a country crossover that Mom had on a 4 track 45, 2nd track on side one after "Red Roses for a Blue Lady". It's "(ghost) Riders in the Sky" by Vaughn Monroe. I wore that record out. We heard the new rock stuff on the radio because the stations were eclectic back then. The only real niche stations were in the major markets. I saw the movie "Jailhouse Rock" in the theater when I was 6. I liked it, but Mom & Dad weren't impressed. We'd make a family night of it when "Hootinanny" came on, but then the Beatles showed up on Ed Sullivan when I was 13 & the generation gap was born.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

5 Star Poster

i grew up on herb albert and the tijuarna brass ,dusty spring field.in my teens i was into glam rock. in my late teens rock a billy, oi and punk. now i listen to rythm and blues, harry conniick jnr,yazoo middle eastern

live with honour

mainly Black Sabbath, Motley Crue, Ozzy, Hank Williams SR. and Jr., Rob Zombie, Tool

No Better Friend
    No Worse Enemy

John Lee Hooker, Lightnin' Hopkins, Sonny Boy Williamson, The Real and Original Hank Williams and Patsy Cline (my Mother went to school with her)

When I was 7 years old, my parents offered me a transistor radio/cassette player. I soon became addicted to a radio show on Capital Radio (I grew up just outside London) called the Monday Night Rock Show. I therefore cut my musical teeth on stuff like King Crimson, Yes, Blue Öyster Cult, Jethro Tull, Wishbone Ash, Mott the Hoople, Genesis (the real Genesis with Peter Gabriel), Rush, Black Sabbath, etc, etc, etc...

Fork 'andles

Silver Poster

From dad I got alot, from Parliament, Fleetwood Mac, Jr. Walker, Queen, etc
    From mom I got alot too, like Gap Band,Berry White, Luther Vandross, etc
    I fell in love with G-Funk

Lifemember

Chased Thru The Woods... 5 Star Poster bte's Avatar

I grew up listening to (on my father's side) Jimi Hendrix, George Clinton and the Funkadelics and a lot of funk music. On my mum's side, I grew up listening to R&B such as Keith Sweat, Montel Jordan, R. Kelly. It's funny because now I still listen to that music from time to time, but now I listen to death metal music.

Blood's thicker like a virgin's pussy on Homecoming.

I grew up on:
    Billy Joel, Elton, Cat Stevens, Peter Frampton, Ian Anderson, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, Jim Morrison, Sabbeth, Kiss, Beatles, Wings, Emerson Lake & Palmer

Silver Poster

"How you doin!"

I've done my service Platinum Poster Willie Escalade's Avatar

I grew up on Motown; that's what my parents played all of the time.

I do remember the electronic 80s though, when a hit could be made using only a keyboard and an 808 drum machine.

To this day I still listen to more older stuff than the newer stuff. I'm listening to Phyllis Hyman right now in my car!

William Escalade is no more. He's done his service to the site.