Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rookie Poster

I grew up on Kiss and Black Sabbath and other 70s-80s metal acts. My dad listened mostly to rai and mom mostly to classical. I find both genres pretty shitty. These days I mostly listen to bleak 80s post-punk, experimental stuff and some industrial/electronic stuff like old YMO. I seem to like NIN too. I've been known to listen to older country on occasion and stuff like Brenda Lee, 60s-70s soul and funk, but I abhor present day pop in any of its forms and present day r&b and hip hop.

Veteran Poster

Mom was huge singer-songwriter era listener, and Dad was a Beatles and Doo-wop era guy for straight radio, but we rarely turned it on unless we were doing chores, may have tainted things for me when I was young.

Fun times was musicals with my Mom... she loves those movies and I inherited some of that it seems as I find I like that for background music now days.

From my friends I found myself really getting to like all kinds of rock and dance music and like that for active listening. Still like a heavy metal/hair metal era stuff for driving, though I tend to get tickets then.

Like you Kelly, its the lyrics for me... if they catch me... I'll listen the rest of my life. My last male housemate was a huge country fan and he found stuff that talked to me so even that last bastion of stuff I didn't like I had to re-think.

Sean

Just one more nice guy finishing last...

Rookie Poster

my parents were like every other person in the suburbs, listening to smooth jazz WJZZ, stuff that makes youngens wanna jump out the car and walk to school.
    during high school and stuff though i got into classic rock, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd,
    then when i joined the army i stopped listening to rap and picked up metal from my roommate who listened to it full blast, i could hear it clearly while he had headphones on(and i thought i was dumb)
    most recently i refreshed my interest in classical music when i took a music appreciation class. i realized that not all classical music is from the classical period

Insert Witty One Liner Here
    Faves:

Junior Poster

Ahh, the '80's:

Strictly Hip Hop:
    The Sugar Hill Gang; The Cold Crush Brothers; Doug E. Fresh and the Get Fresh Crew; Slick Rick [A.K.A. MC Ricky D]; Boogie Down Productions/K.R.S. One; Biz Markie; N.W.A. & Eazy E; Eric B. & Rakim; Too Short.

I used to lover H.E.R.

I miss Hip Hop.

I grew up on classic rock and I still love it today. Stuff like The Eagles, The Doors, Cream, Jimmy Hendrix, CCR, The Allman Brothers, and Lynard Skynard blows away any music that is being made today. Because I loved Classic Rock, I have grown to love Blues, and Jazz because all Classic Rock is based in those two genres, I also love old MoTown, and I listen to some Classical, and even a little Country. About the only thing I don't care for is HipHop, and Rap.

Gender is defined between your ears, not between your legs!

Platinum Poster

its ALWAYS been about these bitches...
    (STILL some my favorite alltime albums)

*edit*
    i guess i also should mention
    Biggie, Total, Toni Braxton, S&P, Whitney & Mariah.

*XScape, The Fugees, Erykah Badu

Rookie Poster

Led Zeppelin, Grand Funk Railroad, The Rolling Stones, Humble Pie, The Faces & Rod Stewart, Pink Floyd, Sly Stone, The Who, The Beatles (of course), The Band, Leon Russell, Jethro Tull, The Allman Brothers, Cactus, Deep Purple, Bad Company, Free, ....

Y'know, It used to be Sex, Drugs & Rock 'n Roll.
    Now it's Aids, Crack & Techno.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

Junior Poster

Well mom and dad liked some musical sound tracks, and the ones I remember the most are Man Of LaMancha (sp?) and West Side Story. West side story may have influenced my appreciation of the Latina babes, Maria was soo hot . Older brother and sister by 4 and 6 years introduced me to Black Sabbath, Rush, Jethro Tull, Styx and many others.

Rush is still my all time favorite band.

Vasto Lorde Gold Poster Quiet Reflections's Avatar

Punk, Hip-Hop,Metal, r&b/motown, classical, and Bluegrass to keep it as accurate as possible but i listened to pretty much anything as a kid. I have always had a great appreciation for talent even if i dont like they way its expressed.

Junior Poster

Grew up on the 80s-90s rock scene....since the third grade...! was a KISS fan...KISS, Ratt, Quite Riot & Motley Crue were the first bands I listened to. Still do to this day...infact, Thats ALL I listen to still....Love the glam rock baby!