Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by trish
    By the accords of common usage Obama is black. You hear a white grandmother in Pennsylvania say, “I’m not voting for that nigger.” Another woman from Iowa proclaimed, “I don’t care if he is black, he’s got my vote.” From Philadelphia to Lincoln Nebraska, from Chicago down to New Orleans he is perceived by the heartland to be a black American. If Obama should win the presidency, the history books will claim him as the first African American president, the first black man to occupy the White House
    This is simply because of the talking heads on TV and Radio and the mainstream news reporting him to be such; since its the only outlet of information for most of the masses. His whole campaign is accelerated and fueled with the shadows of racism and racist politics. Truth is, he is half white. Why can't that sit with you? Why not call him white then? If there WAS a black man running for president... we'd certainly know it and there would be no ambiguity. He is a mulatto, not black, or white.

Quote Originally Posted by sexyshana
    what difference does it make if she is a club kid or not, she looks good and in the end we were all boys at one time no? she looks great, enjoy it!
    buy her tits if you would rather she had some.
    BEEP BEEP!

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

The media helps determine common usage. It always had, all the way back to the Gutenberg Bible. When it comes to the meaning of words, its usage that decides. Live with it.

I've hinted twice now, this time I'll explicity ask: what is your precise definition of "black".

I’m also curious why this issue is so important to you, El Nino?

I can understand identity obsessions. I’ve plenty of friends who obsess over being black and others over being Irish. I obsess over what it means to be a woman. But why are you so obsessed with persuading us to adopt your definition of “black”?

Are you trying to convince the black membership of HA not to vote for Obama because he’s not black? If so that’s insulting because it’s no reason to vote for anyone. But it’s also kinda stupid because by your alleged definition there ain’t hardly a one of us who is black. By your definition we’re almost all mulatto.

On a personal note, I could live with being “mulatto” but it’s an ugly word with too many syllab[les]. “Black” is simpler and means more. Why “complexify”? Of course politically correct speech would identify me as African/Korean American. And I can live with that too. But it’s way too many syllables for ordinary circumstances. Besides, I hate the idea of modifying my citizenship with qualifiers. I’m an American and upon meeting me it’s obvious I’m black. Were I to win the presidency this November, I would be the first black president elect, and also, if not by common vernacular (except here at HA), the first black woman president elect.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino
    If there WAS a black man running for president... we'd certainly know it and there would be no ambiguity. He is a mulatto, not black, or white.
    & we'd know this how???

What, exactly, is your point?

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Because he would look like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2_362.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	203127   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1_795.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	203128  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

what difference does it make if she is a club kid or not, she looks good and in the end we were all boys at one time no? she looks great, enjoy it!
    BEEP BEEP!

As opposed to this...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5_412.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	203129   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4_643.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	203130  

BEEP BEEP!

Senior Member Professional Poster Paladin's Avatar

They both do. Two sides of the same coin! Technically though, Obama is not a black man
    You don't have your location listed so i might be willing to forgive some ignorance of yours, but you really should know the following:

In just about all of the southern states being 1/16 or more black makes you legally black with all the ramifications that entailed before AND after the passage of the civil rights act.

Further, in most of the southern states, after serving a sentence for a felony, your civil rights - including the right to vote, are NOT automatically restored. Can you guess the ratio both as an absolute and as a percentage of the population, the amounts of whites vs blacks who are convicted felons ?????

Think about it.

Default el nino you have race and nationality mixed up

el nino you have race and nationality mixed up

there is no person of a pure race

race means different things to different people in different countries

what does it mean to you el nino?

how many African Americans or that dark?
    how many Caucasians or white?

does it matter to you? why?

As opposed to this...

You claim in your above posts that certain people are not “technically” black. It would seem your claim applies to me as well. Imagine my surprise. Please, for the fourth time, El Nino, give the complete technical definition of “black” which you are using.

You also claimed in your posts above that you know the Truth of the matter. Please explain how it is that your definition is the true one. What does that even mean? Your alleged definition doesn’t seem to coincide with common usage. Your alleged definition doesn’t seem to be linguistically based, nor does it seem to be in line with anthropological interests. Why is your definition (if you really have one) to be preferred over all of the other conceptions?
    So for the third time (counting hippiefried’s request as well as my own), what is your point? Why is it so important that we all adopt your definition as the “true” one?

You don’t seem to know what a conversation is, El Nino. You accuse people of attacking you and not addressing the issues. But you are the one who is not addressing any of the issues raised. Please do so.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

I know that if Obama's skin was a whole lot darker, and as sick as this sounds, he would probably get less support from the American people. I think it is sad, but true. Honestly, I just have this hunch. That is the point I am trying to bring to a head here.

BEEP BEEP!

Well you don't need a whole new conception of what it means to be black to make that hackneyed observation.