Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: White privilege

Junior Poster

chefmike contributes

Whatever happened to No Child Left Behind?

chefmike, you're a COOK! wtf is YOUR excuse? get bored with med school? decide that aerospace engineering didn't fulfill your creative side? too many repurblicans in advanced degree programs in physics?

any half-wit (that would be you chefmike) would look at that poll and suggest that the REALITY of it is in all likelihood the grey box. the magnitude of the skew for the blue box clearly reflects the delusion that clouds the eyes of the lib set.

and as long as we're going to cross into the racial aspects of the contest at hand, ponder this one....the exit polls will probably show 55-60% of whites voting McCain-Palin and 40-45% voting obama-biden. they will also show 85-95% of blacks voting for obama and 5-15% voting for McCain. what does this tell you about the process of thought that leads to those black voters' decision? they would just as readily vote for diddy or michael vick or o.j. simpson. spin that skippy.

we're always a step out of time,
    now ain't that a shame

Professional Poster celticgrafix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tsafficianado
    chefmike contributes

chefmike, you're a COOK! wtf is YOUR excuse? get bored with med school? decide that aerospace engineering didn't fulfill your creative side? too many repurblicans in advanced degree programs in physics?

any half-wit (that would be you chefmike) would look at that poll and suggest that the REALITY of it is in all likelihood the grey box. the magnitude of the skew for the blue box clearly reflects the delusion that clouds the eyes of the lib set.

and as long as we're going to cross into the racial aspects of the contest at hand, ponder this one....the exit polls will probably show 55-60% of whites voting McCain-Palin and 40-45% voting obama-biden. they will also show 85-95% of blacks voting for obama and 5-15% voting for McCain. what does this tell you about the process of thought that leads to those black voters' decision? they would just as readily vote for diddy or michael vick or o.j. simpson. spin that skippy.
    great point, couldn't agree more

they would just as readily vote for diddy or michael vick or o.j. simpson. spin that skippy.
    And what evidence do you have to show that? Even if 99% of the black voters vote for Obama, that doesn't mean they'd have voted for diddy, vick or simpson in this election.

Look at the votes Sharpton got in the '04 primaries:

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pri...773/index.html

You really think the figures given represent all the blacks who voted in the dem 04 primary? And Sharpton has more credibility than diddy, or simspon et al would have had.

Added in case its not obvious: if you click on the voter survey results by state it approx' breaks down who voted for whom based on demographics.

And maybe its easier to withdraw from life
    With all of its misery and wretched lies
    If we're dead when tomorrow's gone
    The Big Machine will just move on
    Still we cling afraid we'll fall
    Clinging like the memory which haunts us all

chefmike contributes

what does this tell you about the process of thought that leads to those black voters' decision? they would just as readily vote for diddy or michael vick or o.j. simpson. spin that skippy.
    I find your comment offensive. It shows how little respect you have for the judgment of black voters, or I should say Black people. In 2004 Blacks voted nearly 90% for John Kerry, who is not Black. Here in Ohio, in 2006, a Black Republican, Ken Blackwell was running for governor. He lost. He did not get that much Black support and not nearly as John Kerry did from Blacks in 2004, even though Blackwell was was the ex-Secretary of State.

Black people vote for self interest like most people. The Republican God of unrestricted business practices has not been good for our people. We live everyday with the effects of exploitation from big business, who saddle us with fees that go directly to them and not to any productivity. The current housing crisis is just one aspect. All those pushers cared about was making their fees from the loans.

Micheal Vick or O.J. Simpson, my ass. Barack Obama, who started from the community level and worked his way up. That shows that he cares for everyone, and is not just interested in finding more ways for big business to make more profits. I'm sure he know that strong business is important, but the fact is we are all important. We are part of life. And that includes people like you, who go around insulting the intelligence of Black people.

Platinum Poster

chefmike contributes

I haven't been a COOK for many years, son.

I am a CHEF, and I am an artist at what I do and proud of it. What talent do you have? What do you do? Crunch numbers and kiss ass? Fetch the boss coffee? Hope that if you go back to community college you might get a raise?

We already know that you are an apologist for everything that is wrong with this country...and the gibbering monkey(celticretin) chiming in with you doesn't exactly add to your credibiblity, Einstein...

So what are these other accomplishments that you are so proud of(when you aren't shilling for the GOP and the Religious Wrong that is?)

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Quote Originally Posted by celticgrafix
    Quote Originally Posted by qeuqheeg222
    it kills me when they complain about history...they want to bitch about "black history month"...they seem to forget that all history classes taught are pretty much the "western civilization" type which are pretty much about caucasians with a smattering of egyptians and sumerians....i was listenin to Rush the other day(good to know what the enemy is listenin to) and he was claimin Mcsame was makin inroads into blue states makin them "purple"states now...but he claimed some states were still"black"states but could turn to red...i almost lost it...WTF!!!!!
    who started the usa to what it is now, after the american indians, it was the whites right, fuckin dumbass
    The reality is that everyone who lived in the US helped to make it is what is now. Blacks first helped create wealth by donating 80 plus of free labor. Then you still have Black doctors, scientist and inventors, who made great contributions. Chinese were brought here as labor to build the first trans continental railroad. This list is endless. But this is why every ethnic group needs to know about their own history, because often the dominant group forgets to include everyone in the picture. Everyone needs to be able to give pride of accomplishment to the next generation.

Racism like you displayed in you comment, should really be thought of as "erase-ism". The dominant culture erases the achievements of the people it seeks to exploit.

Then again if you want White people to take credit for all the good things, then you have to take credit for the bad things, like ethnic cleansing of the Native American population. Some even call it genocide. Then when somebody like Rev Wright brings this up, he is called racist, comepletly ignoring his point of the decline in numbers of the Native American population.

Futhermore: who started the usa to what it is now, after the american indians, it was the whites right, fuckin dumbass

This demonstrates what the original post was about. White priviledge is being able to deny the contributions of everyone but White people. We're all Americans, buddy.

buzz fuck u bitch, if anyone get privileges it's u and u still complain about it, and majority of white americans never owned slaves, so why should we be kissing ur ass, cry all u want, that's what ur best at
    True indeed Celticgrafix. I'm so glad you said that because it needed to be said. Now with that said let me add to it. The majority of white americans never owned slaves but the majority of white americans benefited financially one way or another from the ownership of slaves. Where as the slaves didn't benefit at all, infact they were crippled from slavery in more ways than you can imagine.

There were no African Americans who purchased plantations and became rich through the cotton industry from holding slaves at free labor. Who then had children who went to the best universities in the country where one became a lawyer and the other started a brewery. Who then had children themselves who continued the brewery and turned it into a multimillion dollar corporation, and who's descendants today are wealthy beyond belief. No the slaves didn't have these opportunities.

So what you get from that is a society that in it's beginning was so unequal that it was literally designed for one segment to flourish and the other to fail. Once the design of the system was changed when we were allowed to read, write and attend universities (which happened in very recent history) you have African Americans (descendants of slaves) who were starting so far behind economically. Plus these measures to have an equal society were only in principle. It was still the task of most whites to make it impossible for blacks to reach any type of financial or social achievements.

You should read the article I wrote about Michelle Obama which I posted here in the Politics and Religion section. It's about a comment Michelle Obama made but actually goes much deeper than that. Hopefully you'll learn a little something from it. Take care.

"Give them nothing, but take from them, everything".. Spartan King Leonidas

http://www.redroom.com/video/tim-wis...whiteness-clip

Quote Originally Posted by dafame
    buzz fuck u bitch, if anyone get privileges it's u and u still complain about it, and majority of white americans never owned slaves, so why should we be kissing ur ass, cry all u want, that's what ur best at
    True indeed Celticgrafix. I'm so glad you said that because it needed to be said. Now with that said let me add to it. The majority of white americans never owned slaves but the majority of white americans benefited financially one way or another from the ownership of slaves. Where as the slaves didn't benefit at all, infact they were crippled from slavery in more ways than you can imagine.

There were no African Americans who purchased plantations and became rich through the cotton industry from holding slaves at free labor. Who then had children who went to the best universities in the country where one became a lawyer and the other started a brewery. Who then had children themselves who continued the brewery and turned it into a multimillion dollar corporation, and who's descendants today are wealthy beyond belief. No the slaves didn't have these opportunities.

So what you get from that is a society that in it's beginning was so unequal that it was literally designed for one segment to flourish and the other to fail. Once the design of the system was changed (which happened in very recent history) you have African Americans (descendants of slaves) who were so far behind economically that it still makes it very difficult to get a fair shake.

You should read the article I wrote about Michelle Obama which I posted here in the Politics and Religion section. It's about a comment Michelle Obama made but actually goes much deeper than that. Hopefully you'll learn a little something from it. Take care.
    awww thats cute. my family came from ireland not to long ago, so WE, dumbass, never owned any slave or benefited from it, and fair shake u serious, if anyone is downed in the usa its the whites

Junior Poster

yodajazz, you make valid points and i will give them consideration.
    I won't bore you with my perspective, i'm sure you are confident that you have a grasp of it already. I won't apologize for my perspective, but i will admit that at the very least i am guilty of allowing my opinion of individuals to expand to my opinion of groups of people - that, i suppose, is the essence of racism. It is not a revelation that makes me particularly proud.
    I was raised in the deep south, so racism is part of my culture - that of course is no excuse. It is certainly not how i was raised. my father was a founding member of the unitarian church in atlanta, my stepmother was a peace corps volunteer in africa and spent her careerr working in a children's hospital, my sister is a hardcore liberal and a social worker and has been an active advocate for women's, families' and minorities' rights throughout her career, three of my uncles were noted atlanta attorneys and active in social issues and served on boards of a variety of activist groups - i am the lone republican in all of my extended family, and in many ways i suppose my attitudes are a disappointment to them.
    One of my first childhood memories is a cold sunday standing in the rain for ten hours with my father and sister on the quad of atlanta university in a procession to view the body of a man who had been recently murdered, a man who had been a guest in our home on several occasions - that man was martin luther king jr. He has always been one of my heroes, and i am certain i would be a disappointment to him.
    In my defense i would only say that in the clutch i think there is someone more humane inside, which is likely the case with a lot of people who let the pressure and vagaries of the real world mis-color their perspective. humor me while i bore you with a little story....

For nine years i was the plant manager in a small manufacturing plant in atlanta, about 30 people worked on my team, and over the years i have probably hired about that many people. On one occasion when we had an opening i had interviews with three people, two black and one white, each of whom was apparently adequate to our requirements and i was left to determine which to hire. After I had finished the interviews the receptionist paged me and told me that another young man had come in unannounced to inquire if we had any openings and i agreed to meet with him briefly. Timothy was a young black guy, not exceptionally bright, little education, no skills to speak of, a spotty employment history who was currently working a few hours a week as a temp laborer. 'T' was a nice kid, and he impressed me with his passion to find a permanent job where he could start to build opportunity for himself, his young wife (who worked part-time at Wendy's) and the child they hoped to bring into the world. I liked 'T' and i took him into the plant and showed him what we did and tried to impress on him the severe conditions in our operation, then i told him i would consider him and let him know something within a few days. He said he would be grateful for consideration, then he told me there was something else i should know about him - 'T' had epilepsy and his condition was so severe that he was a participant in radical experimental drug trials.
    I thought about the situation for the remainder of the day and into the night. Hiring 'T' was in no way the easy path. The other three applicants were more 'qualified' for the position, but times were good and i knew the other three could easily find better jobs in short order. I called Timothy the next day and requested the name of his doctor and asked if he would consent to me discussing his potential employment with the doctor to which he readily agreed. I was able to arrange a meeting with his doctor the next day and we discussed the severe conditions in our plant, the presence of many machines and conveyors and boilers and other apparatus that might be a consideration, and his doctor and i were able to come to agreement on restrictions that would allow Timothy and his co-workers to be reasonably safe. I had one team of four that worked together that could absorb someone with minimal skills and i met with them and discussed the situation with them and they all agreed that Timothy could be added to their team without jeopardizing them or their performance and they all assured me that they would keep an eye on Timothy and guard over him in the event of a seizure. I hired 'T' and he worked with us for three years and his team did a great job of including him and utilizing him and watching over him on the occasions when he suffered seizures. Timothy's attendance was sometimes impaird by his illness, and there were times when he had to stop and rest when he felt a mild seizure setting in, but i never regretted hiring him....he was a wonderful kid, always enthusiastic, always a pleasure to see and to speak with, and everyone at the plant was fond of him. He stopped me so often to tell me how much he loved working at our plant that i almost found myself trying to avoid him, it was embarassing. Then one day, with a glow on his face that made him almost luminous, he told me that his wife was expecting their child. They had a son, and no man has ever been prouder to have a son than Timothy, and one day he confided to me that he was going to see to it that his son had every opportunity for a good life - and i never doubted it.
    Shortly before Christmas in his third year with us a severe grand mal seizure took Timothy from us and even now, almost ten years later, thinking of it brings tears to my eyes. I loved Timothy, everyone loved Timothy. He wasn't given much, he never asked for much, but he held to his faith that he could overcome everything and take care of his wife and his son. I went to his wake and to his funeral and it was pretty clear that neither his nor his wife's family were in financial circumstances that would allow them to protect Timothy's dream of something better for his wife and his son. As was the custom at our plant, the employees collected some money for the family, and the $600 they collected was the most that was ever donated for a family before or since. I donated $10,000 which was a large part of my net worth at the time, but I wanted to do whatever I could to further Timothy's hopes for his family. Sadly, I know it was wholly inadequate and knowing how little help it would be in the situation that 'largesse' gave me little comfort.

I'm not sure why Timothy came to mind as I thought about your post, but he often does, and although there are demons within me that I suppose make me less than I should be, I take some comfort in knowing that Timothy and I were just two guys who crossed paths in a good way, and we weren't a black guy and a white guy, just two guys.

we're always a step out of time,
    now ain't that a shame

Quote Originally Posted by yodajazz
    Quote Originally Posted by qeuqheeg222
    it kills me when they complain about history...they want to bitch about "black history month"...they seem to forget that all history classes taught are pretty much the "western civilization" type which are pretty much about caucasians with a smattering of egyptians and sumerians....i was listenin to Rush the other day(good to know what the enemy is listenin to) and he was claimin Mcsame was makin inroads into blue states makin them "purple"states now...but he claimed some states were still"black"states but could turn to red...i almost lost it...WTF!!!!!
    who started the usa to what it is now, after the american indians, it was the whites right, fuckin dumbass
    The reality is that everyone who lived in the US helped to make it is what is now. Blacks first helped create wealth by donating 80 plus of free labor. Then you still have Black doctors, scientist and inventors, who made great contributions. Chinese were brought here as labor to build the first trans continental railroad. This list is endless. But this is why every ethnic group needs to know about their own history, because often the dominant group forgets to include everyone in the picture. Everyone needs to be able to give pride of accomplishment to the next generation.

Racism like you displayed in you comment, should really be thought of as "erase-ism". The dominant culture erases the achievements of the people it seeks to exploit.

Then again if you want White people to take credit for all the good things, then you have to take credit for the bad things, like ethnic cleansing of the Native American population. Some even call it genocide. Then when somebody like Rev Wright brings this up, he is called racist, comepletly ignoring his point of the decline in numbers of the Native American population.

Futhermore: who started the usa to what it is now, after the american indians, it was the whites right, fuckin dumbass

This demonstrates what the original post was about. White priviledge is being able to deny the contributions of everyone but White people. We're all Americans, buddy.
    did WE do this, NO, so get over it