Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Default A little computer help, please.

Last week I noticed upon booting my computer there was an extra user account named IUSER. I couldn't get into it 'cause it was password protected. So I deleted it from my account and did a virus scan which turned up nothing (I've got McAfee and it's updated). So a few days later, there's IUSER again! I delete him and run a scan. This happens every other day now. WTF is up and what can I do?

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Professional Poster

You must have installed IIS on your computer by accident. This is just the Microsoft web server application and it is not a virus or spyware. Just go into "Add Remove Programs" Then "Add Remove Windows Components" and uninstall it.

An amature does it till they get it right,
    A professional does it till they can't get it wrong.

Sounds like an easy fix, thanks dan, but there nothing called IIS listed in the Windows Components window. Does it have another name?

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Professional Poster

it will say "internet Information Service IIS" If you see that the little checkbox is check, then it is installed. To uninstal it, just uncheck it and click on "next".

In the Windows Components window, I've got

+Accessories and Utilities
    +Fax Services
    -Indexing Service
    +Internet Explorer
    -Management and Monitoring Tools
    +MSN Explorer
    +Networking Services
    -Other Network File and Print Services
    +Outlook Express
    +Update Root Certificates
    +Windows Media Player-
    Windows Messenger

(+ means checked and - means not checked)

Can't find the IIS.

Professional Poster

IIS should be right under Internet Explorer.

Professional Poster

You may have also installed some other web server other than IIS. Take a look in "Add Remove Programs" and see if there is anything there that says some kind of web server.

sorry, not there under Explorer, unless it's been rendered invisible or something...i'll check for other web servers, thanks. i DO want to thank you dan, for taking the time to help. could someone be accessing my computer remotely?

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish
    sorry, not there under Explorer, unless it's been rendered invisible or something...i'll check for other web servers, thanks. i DO want to thank you dan, for taking the time to help. could someone be accessing my computer remotely?
    I doubt if someone is accesing your computer remotely. The iuser is created by iis so that annonymous users can access your webserver. It is the way that all of us can see a website. I suppose there is a possiblity that someone is accesing it, but if you have Mcafee installed and it is up to date, it's probably ok. If you need more help, you can PM me. Im just working at my desk for a while so I will be around.

Thanks so much dan. I've got to get back to work now. But I might PM you sometime later today or this week. Thanks again.