Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by SarahG
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaGrande
    Quote Originally Posted by trish
    Her All-American husband was a member of the secessionist Independence Party, which wants Alaska to secede from the Union. As governor, she gave the welcoming address to the Independence Party Convention. Now that doesn't sound anti-American does it?
    Although not specifically authorized in the Constitution, it was understood at the time, and up until the time of the Civil War, that the States voluntarily entered the Union and could also voluntarily remove themselves. There is absolutely nothing immoral or unethical about secession. Even Lincoln at one time supported it.
    Right but we've had closure on this one since the 60s.... the 1860s.

Succession as a VP candidate in 2008? You have to be fucking kidding me....

Actually Sarah G...

Secession really isnt as closed as one might think. The door seems to still be open for a single state to secede by mutual agreement with the government. Read for yourselfs.
    http://writ.news.findlaw.com/dorf/20041124.html

Quote Originally Posted by Stoked
    Her All-American husband was a member of the secessionist Independence Party, which wants Alaska to secede from the Union. As governor, she gave the welcoming address to the Independence Party Convention. Now that doesn't sound anti-American does it?
    Although not specifically authorized in the Constitution, it was understood at the time, and up until the time of the Civil War, that the States voluntarily entered the Union and could also voluntarily remove themselves. There is absolutely nothing immoral or unethical about secession. Even Lincoln at one time supported it.

Actually Sarah G...

Secession really isnt as closed as one might think. The door seems to still be open for a single state to secede by mutual agreement with the government. Read for yourselfs.
    http://writ.news.findlaw.com/dorf/20041124.html
    That was an interesting article, but the author does agree that a state cannot unilaterally Secede

Texas v. White is settled law. It stands for the proposition that the Constitution prohibits unilateral secession
    Which means that Palin, or her husband rather, can't get Alaska to leave the Union unless, possibly, it is done "With Permission"

Do you expect permission to be granted for Alaska to secede? Even if the theory supports that it is possible, there is a clear difference between law theory & reality... and this is one of those times. Even if this Alaska interest group had support from the majority of the Alaskan population, it still wouldn't be able to actually secede.

The reason why I said Palin, and not Palin's husband, in my last post was because Palin herself has a history with this group even if it is not formal affiliation (like in her Husband's case).

And maybe its easier to withdraw from life
    With all of its misery and wretched lies
    If we're dead when tomorrow's gone
    The Big Machine will just move on
    Still we cling afraid we'll fall
    Clinging like the memory which haunts us all

Rookie Poster

Ahhh, so might make right?

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Regardless of whether it by permission or not, you have to admit that seceding from the United States is UnAmerican.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Not if the United States distorts into something that it was never set up to be... Then it would be "American"

Quote Originally Posted by sexyshana
    what difference does it make if she is a club kid or not, she looks good and in the end we were all boys at one time no? she looks great, enjoy it!
    buy her tits if you would rather she had some.
    BEEP BEEP!

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino
    Not if the United States distorts into something that it was never set up to be... Then it would be "American"
    You mean to a state of existence beyond the civil liberty violations of the civil war or reconstruction eras?

Or the disbandment of the freedom of speech & freedom of the press in WW1?

If a state tolerates an overbearing government time and time again, it really does a number on any logic based on the gov "going too far this time" especially when "this time" is no different from the past in terms of severity.

Think of it this way, with intellectual property rights- you can protect your intellectual property if and only if you consistently and aggressively oppose all instances of that property being used illegally/unethically. This is why Disney still cares about who uses Disney cartoons from the 20s-30s, if they let people freely use & distribute those cartoons (that aren't even on the market anymore) then they have a hard time claiming that someone has "gone too far" as soon as it happens with slightly newer material.... this is why the court ruled improperly (IMHO) with that Metallica-Napster case, Metalica freely encouraged people to pirate their stuff for a great many years, they can't suddenly change their minds when a new technology makes the methodology different.

Now before you say it sure, Alaska was not a state until 1959 IIRC, wasn't even part of the US until 1867.... BUT you'd be totally wrong if you feel overbearing gov activity was absent between WW2 and 2001... and a great deal of these civil liberty violations... you know, the justifications for seceding from the union- are exactly the policies Palin is advocating for. She wants a strong, overbearing centralized government at any & every time it suits her agenda, and her history with this group (in addition to her husband's formal affiliations) just go to show how hypocritical and un-American her view of the matter truly is.

And maybe its easier to withdraw from life
    With all of its misery and wretched lies
    If we're dead when tomorrow's gone
    The Big Machine will just move on
    Still we cling afraid we'll fall
    Clinging like the memory which haunts us all

Platinum Poster

Boy howdy!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vp_candidate_214.gif 
Views:	192 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	197507  

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Quote Originally Posted by InHouston
    Here's a fact. The Democrats have made the same mistake with Obama and Biden just as they did with John Kerry and John Edwards. They assumed the American people were too simple to not see through their empty rhetoric and 'feel good' speeches. McCain and Palin are real people and genuine Americans. I wouldn't be surprised either that the American people step up and yank many of the seats back from the Democrats in the House and Senate as well.
    The use of that term "genuine Amercans" really upset me. The more I think about, I see a term coded with racist intentions. That and the term "real Americans" used in his first post.

Part of this country's greatness is that is let in a variety of people from around the world, who then contributed to the Amercian fabric. But now, according to InHouston, certain people are "genuine Americans, or real Amercians". That is a very dangerous slope to place a flag. And who is not genuine, Barrack Obama, according to him. I suppose Joe Biden would be genuine American, if he supported John McCain rather than Obama. According to the press releases, Joe Biden is supposed to be a champion of the working class. So that could not be why he is not a "genuine American". The old over racist's would call someone a "nigger lover" if they showed the slightess decency towards a person of color.
    These coded terms help to perpetuate racist ideals without using the offensive terminology.

And another thing; that "real people" is almost up there too. Is that why the media cannot acknowledge the death of non-combatant 'people' who happen to be citizens of Iraq? We are not allowed to see them as real people. The media has allowed the government to call accidental bombing damage as "collateral damage", rarely acknowledging that the 'damage' often includes human beings. John McCain and Sarah Palin are real people. But what about all the other ethinicities of world?

Rookie Poster

Spin it however you like, the (Alaskan) Independence Party IS UNAMERICAN, THEY WANT TO SECEDE FROM THE UNION. Palin's husband was a member of the party and Gov. Palin herself spoke at their convention! Palin is a real and genuine traitor, just like McCain when he confessed to war crimes. McCain is so genuine he doesn't know how many houses he and his wife own!
    You jump to some pretty good conclusions. Has Gov Palin's husband ever made a statement as to whether he supports Alaska's secession? Has Gov. Palin?

As far as McCain confessing to war crimes. That is not going to fly. I'm sure you would have held up pretty good to hours upon hours of repeated torture. I thank Sen McCain for his service in our armed services, and I thank you too, Trish, for your service in the armed services!!

McCain never said that he didn't know how many house he and his wife had, but why allow facts to get in the way of your argument. Go back and listen to the tape recording of his statement. Rather than getting drawn into a ridiculous discussion he said that he would have his aides get back to the reporter.

Finally, why don't you read up on your God's (read "Obama") support for legislation that might establish a basis for Hawaii to secede?

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

If you confess to war crimes you can say, "Yes, of course, I was tortured." But you can't say I left that hell hole with "honor".

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.