Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Professional Poster

Hillbilly, keep Jersey a secret!!! We don't need more people moving here than there already are! The turnpike and it's rank smell is our best defense!

Shush girl, shut your lips
    Do the Helen Keller and talk with your hips

5 Star Poster

Although I was born in So Cali, I lived in New Brunswick, New Jersey for several months as a kid. I don't think the bad smell and constant smoggy haze is much of a secret.

Professional Poster

LMAO@New Brunswick

Shush girl, shut your lips
    Do the Helen Keller and talk with your hips

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki Richter
    It sounds like you would need to make $200k in order to maintain a lifestyle comparable to $80-100k here in AZ or in some other areas along the west coast. I mean my sister bought a new 5000 sq/ft house (big enough that it was required by law to have a fire sprinkler system installed) and paid $350k just like 5-6 years ago. Sure the house is worth about $600k now, but 5,000 sq ft in NYC would cost way over a million I am sure. My house is 1800 sq/ft 4 bedroom and I paid like $160k for it (new construction). I mean sure the new ones they are building cost like $265k for comparable size, but I mean come on... If I have a guest, I don't have to have them sleep on the couch and I don't keep my computer stuff in my bedroom. I had my two 8 ft aquariums and my computer stuff in a 850 sq ft 1 bedroom apartment in Northern Cali and I hated coming home.
    Vicki, I hear you, I lived in Tucson for a year (many, many moons ago, when it was half the size it is now) and my wife and I want to retire in the southwest (pref. New Mexico), for the lower cost of living and housing and the climate (though I'll miss the forests of the northeast). But that 5,000 sq ft house in NYC would likely cost more like two million than one. If you count the large finished room in our basement, my ranch is about the same size as yours (but no garage): 1400 sq ft above grade. We bought in 1999 for 175, now valued at over 350. Move the property 10 miles east and the value would run over 500. It's crazy, yet according to the latest charts measuring the degree of over/under valuation of the top 250 cities in the US, Boston is only 31% overvalued and NYC only 25% overvalued. But most CA areas (excepting, interestingly, SF) are considered to be 60% or more overvalued.

Hmmm... I just thought of something... Has anyone else noticed that wherever the most transsexuals are it increases the property value?

I know it's a lifestyle thing and I totally respect that. NYC has more culture in 1 sq/mile than Phoenix metro has all together. There is a lot to be said for that.

V
    Here in the northeast there's an expression: there ain't no culture west of the Hudson River or south of Long Island Sound. :P

Party Goddess Platinum Poster AllanahStarrNYC's Avatar

darling- the average price per square foot in manhattan is $100- or above.

a one thoussand squre foot apt. is going to cost a million or so.

when you get into 5,000 sq, fett- you are talking in 15 million or so- depending on the area. but those are usually town homes.

2008 AVN Transsexual Performer Of The Year
    www.TransexualStarr.com
    www.Facebook.com/AllanahStarr

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by AllanahStarrNYC
    darling- the average price per square foot in manhattan is $100- or above.

a one thoussand squre foot apt. is going to cost a million or so.

when you get into 5,000 sq, fett- you are talking in 15 million or so- depending on the area. but those are usually town homes.

i'd rather pay $500 a night to stay at the ritz...15 mill for 5k sq. ft is just damn bananas...you would really have to cross your fingers and hope your property appreciates in that scale.

Yeah, i'm looking at your titties.

Party Goddess Platinum Poster AllanahStarrNYC's Avatar

and about the cabs-
    these are little things u learn when u are seasonsed after living here

u will never get a cab during rush our because they all change their shifts
    and sometimes on sat. it is difficult- depending ont he area
    be vigillant people people love to steal your cabs

but where i live i never have s peovlem getting a cab
    of ocurse there is the subway system, when in a pinch

2008 AVN Transsexual Performer Of The Year
    www.TransexualStarr.com
    www.Facebook.com/AllanahStarr

In reality, moving to New York City is often based on other factors than money, like definitively changing the direction of one's life, chasing a dream or notion, for those who do it cold. Of course, the desperate immigrant from Puebla as well as the wannabe Master of The Universe from Yale come for money, but deeper than that is their dream, the Big Time, however defined. They could each make a living in Pittsburg, Des Moines or Phoenix, but NYC is a total different order of magnitude: everything will change, be bigger, worse, more intense. There are no American cities that compare to it in class, it's class is London, Paris, Rome, Tokyo and, arguably, Hong Kong. That's it.
    It is definitely not for most people, & even those people that come here after a while plan their escape to the burbs, esp. if there are children in the situation. As stated, living in Manhattan is not feasible without roommates for most people on a middle class or less income without a breath taking reduction in living arrangements. But I think there is nothing like it if you have the desire to be here. And living just over on the other sides of the water will help with the $ situation. Really no place like it.

Senior Member Veteran Poster

I have a nice 3BR apt. in one of the best sections of Brooklyn for $1500 a month (which I share with my gf). There is so much stuff in this neighborhood I only bother going to Manhattan once every couple of weeks.

:end of transmission:

Junior Poster

is anyone familiar with property prices on the lower east side around Rivington ? I have to relocate to NY in 18 months and am curious as to prices. Rent just confuses me so purchase prices would seem help me more. any links to realtors would also be much appreciated.