Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Junior Poster

Answer to the orginal question is: Too Much. But it's worth it for the female scenery if you're single. It's like a Calvin Klein runway show here 24 hours a day.

"Some girls' mothers are bigger than other girls' mothers....."

Party Goddess Platinum Poster AllanahStarrNYC's Avatar

Well Manhattan is an amazing place to live if you can and like the lifestyle.
    it is probably the ONLY US city that I would live in, because is extremely convinient-and of course it s a fabulous city.

I think that NYC is definately more expensive than SF-as far as property is concerened. I am talking about Manhattan here bot the other boroughs.

You can find an apartment in the price ranges you listed- you may can probably get a one bedroom for 1600-1700. Rents have actually gone down since 9/11, though property prices have not. I remember when I fist came to NYC you coukd nto get a studio for less than $1400 and a one bedroom for less than $2000 and if you wanted someone you had to act on it FAST, cause it was gone the next day. Yes, it is very hard sometimes to find an apt. here, and I suggest you take your time because there are alot of over priced dumps and show boxes.

I have seen apts. where in Manhatan

Where there were no windows-
    No Closets-
    Once I saw one you had to climb over the toilet to get in the shower-
    Etc...

Of course the flip side is that there are AMAZING apartments here as well.

If you are looking at a luxury or full service building- a studio is about $2,000 and one bedroom $3,000. And it can go very high- I saw an ad for the last trump building on the east side where the two bedrooms were going for $12,000 a month.

Though of ocurse not the most expensive city in the world, Tokyo and London have us beat, I would say it is the most expensive city to live in the US.

2008 AVN Transsexual Performer Of The Year
    www.TransexualStarr.com
    www.Facebook.com/AllanahStarr

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by AllanahStarrNYC
    it is probably the ONLY US city that I would live in, because is extremely convinient-and of course it s a fabulous city.

I think that NYC is definately more expensive than SF-as far as property is concerened. I am talking about Manhattan here bot the other boroughs.

You can find an apartment in the price ranges you listed- you may can probably get a one bedroom for 1600-1700. Rents have actually gone down since 9/11, though property prices have not. I remember when I fist came to NYC you coukd nto get a studio for less than $1400 and a one bedroom for less than $2000 and if you wanted someone you had to act on it FAST, cause it was gone the next day. Yes, it is very hard sometimes to find an apt. here, and I suggest you take your time because there are alot of over priced dumps and show boxes.

No Closets-
    Etc...

If you are looking at a luxury or full service building- a studio is about $2,000 and one bedroom $3,000. And it can go very high- I saw an ad for the last trump building on the east side where the two bedrooms were going for $12,000 a month.

Though of ocurse not the most expensive city in the world, Tokyo and London have us beat, I would say it is the most expensive city to live in the US.

Can I come live with you?
    he he!
    Just kidding...........
    I really love San Francisco and wish that had more of the new york culture out here.
    Everything is so hippie orientated.........
    Another factor that would discourage me is that theres not a lot of work out there for me........I am in the biotech industry..........out here its amazing.
    Ive been to Manhatten before in like 1989 and was amazed at how big it is......how rude the cab drivers are and how many amazing model like women you see just walking down the street.

the beauty .........the fantasy.......i die.......i die

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by AllanahStarrNYC

No Closets-
    Etc...

he he!
    Just kidding...........
    I really love San Francisco and wish that had more of the new york culture out here.
    Another factor that would discourage me is that theres not a lot of work out there for me........I am in the biotech industry..........out here its amazing.
    Ive been to Manhatten before in like 1989 and was amazed at how big it is......how rude the cab drivers are and how many amazing model like women you see just walking down the street.

the beauty .........the fantasy.......i die.......i die

I was thinking about getting a place in Manhattan if I ever win the powerball lottery. Ahhh, dreams...

Still Here 5 Star Poster

Saw an apartment in the Lower East Side with no toilet. $1,400 a month. If you wanted to use the bathroom, you had to go in the hallway and use the community toilet.

The kicker? That apartment has 4 people waiting on it to become vacant.

Quote Originally Posted by geekmeat
    he he!
    Just kidding...........
    If you want to be near NYC (3-4 hour drive time), Boston has a booming biotech industry.

Party Goddess Platinum Poster AllanahStarrNYC's Avatar

Boston is actually a nice city as well and relatively close.

Sorry Geek, my apt is full with my children Brigitte, Kaya, and my new stepchild Remi- and my lady in waiting, Tommy, who spends most of his time now @ my apartment assisting me.

2008 AVN Transsexual Performer Of The Year
    www.TransexualStarr.com
    www.Facebook.com/AllanahStarr

5 Star Poster

It sounds like you would need to make $200k in order to maintain a lifestyle comparable to $80-100k here in AZ or in some other areas along the west coast. I mean my sister bought a new 5000 sq/ft house (big enough that it was required by law to have a fire sprinkler system installed) and paid $350k just like 5-6 years ago. Sure the house is worth about $600k now, but 5,000 sq ft in NYC would cost way over a million I am sure. My house is 1800 sq/ft 4 bedroom and I paid like $160k for it (new construction). I mean sure the new ones they are building cost like $265k for comparable size, but I mean come on... If I have a guest, I don't have to have them sleep on the couch and I don't keep my computer stuff in my bedroom. I had my two 8 ft aquariums and my computer stuff in a 850 sq ft 1 bedroom apartment in Northern Cali and I hated coming home.

Taxis are a pain in the ass. I remember Joanna and I spending 30+ minutes in Manhattan trying to find one. If you are going anywhere to or from Manhattan expect to pay $50. Maybe internally it isn't so bad.
    I guess it all depends on what people want. I wanted a nice quiet convenient "spacey" suburban lifestyle. I wanted to be able to have a swimming pool. I guess seeing hot model looking girls and having access to the largest pool of trannies on the right coast is worth something. Hmmm... I just thought of something... Has anyone else noticed that wherever the most transsexuals are it increases the property value?

I know it's a lifestyle thing and I totally respect that. NYC has more culture in 1 sq/mile than Phoenix metro has all together. There is a lot to be said for that.

V

Junior Poster

so here is my lowdown.

although living in manhattan would be great most everyone i know that does still lives hand to mouth even though they make 6 figures or more. that partly being their own fault and the general costs.

consider your options and consider that most of the population of NYC lives outside of manhattan.

i for one use to live in bklyn (5yrs) and now live in jersey city (10 yrs). which i affectionately call the 6th borough. rents are lower in bklyn or jersey city and you will get a bit more space.

that being said i have heard that prices have gone down on the upper east side of manahattan because so many people have moved to bklyn.

so shop arround but i imagine for your price range you'll find something most likely in bklyn or queens or even jersey city.

unfortunately as far as buy goes you better show up with at least 100k in cash and very steady income. taxes are incredible in NYC.