Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    In the hearts of the kind, and in the fears of the wicked.

Quote Originally Posted by francisfkudrow
    I think my fellow Democrats are delusional if they EVER think that the Republicans have "a snowball's chance in hell". In fact, given the depths of muckraking, fraud and intimidation that the GOP is willing to go to in order to win, I would not be surprised if we never see a Democrat in the White House again.

Even in the best of times, getting a Democrat elected President is an uphill battle. Trying to get a guy named Barack Hussein Obama elected will be nearly impossible.

Long story short, Palin's most likely going to be our next VP, whether we like it or not.
    Well unfortunately for the GOP, they won't have Jeb Bush, and
    'hanging chads' to help them steal the election this time.

Thus the penguins in Alaska will learn to fly before the GOP wins
    this one.

And they better learn to fly if they want to survive Palin, and her
    environmental policy.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by dave252
    McCain will win and let me tell you why, because people vote from thier pocket books as do i. Being a social liberal and a fiscal conservative, I can speak of experience, in most cases the social issues, abortion, gay rights.... dont mean a thing when someone keeps telling us they want more of our hard earned wages for programs most of us will never use. When the price of gas and food and all means to live is ever increasing, do we need someone to tell us, the goverment wants more of our cash? I know Obama has pledged to cut middle class taxes, tax the rich and corporations. Bill Clinton said the same thing, and being divorced in 1994 and having to file single, my taxes went up and I was making 25k. The dems this year had a mock tax plan vote this year, any single person making 30K, thier taxes would go up, any married couple making 72k, the same. Is this what the dems call rich, thats why they always lose. What good are social reforms when the goverment robs your wallet and you have to struggle to pay your bills? The dems are not practical, they live in shangri-la. And now they want to have univeral health care, how much will that cost? The repubs know this, just watch thier commercials, whether its true or not. If Bush had cut spending when he cut taxes, this wouldnt even be a race, McCain would be a shoe in.
    That sugary artificial food coloring mixed with water must be really be good...

The Washington Post did the numbers.

C&L: As ThinkProgress reported, CNN on Tuesday showed a deceptive chart which wrongly suggests that John McCain’s tax plan provides more Americans with greater savings than that offered by Barack Obama. But CNN’s upper-crust income brackets, which start at $161,000 and represent only 5% of taxpayers, conceal the inescapable truth that Barack Obama’s proposals offer working and middle class Americans steeper tax benefits at every income level up to $110,000. And according to a new Gallup poll released this week, that truth isn’t lost on American voters.

By 48% to 43%, Americans surveyed by Gallup say Obama would better handle the issue of taxes than John McCain. And with good reason. As the Washington Post detailed, an analysis by the Tax Policy Center showed:

Those whose income is under $67,000 - 60% of all American taxpayers - would see substantially larger tax cuts under the Obama plan. While McCain’s plan concentrates 58% of its benefits to the wealthiest 1% of Americans, Obama’s rollback of the Bush tax cuts above $250,000 produces tax increases for that group.

Sadly, Obama’s story is not getting through. In the face of the TPC’s analysis showing that 95% of American taxpayers would see savings under the Obama tax plan, 53% of the Gallup respondents wrongly believe their tax burden would increase under President Obama. Meanwhile, despite the same analysis showing McCain’s plan to make permanent and expand the Bush tax cuts would produce a staggering $2.8 trillion in red ink for the federal budget, the Republican still claims the mantle of fiscal discipline.

Professional Poster francisfkudrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by peggygee
    I think my fellow Democrats are delusional if they EVER think that the Republicans have "a snowball's chance in hell". In fact, given the depths of muckraking, fraud and intimidation that the GOP is willing to go to in order to win, I would not be surprised if we never see a Democrat in the White House again.

Even in the best of times, getting a Democrat elected President is an uphill battle. Trying to get a guy named Barack Hussein Obama elected will be nearly impossible.

Long story short, Palin's most likely going to be our next VP, whether we like it or not.
    There's always some other GOP lackey to throw a wrench in the works, and don't forget the easily rigged Diebold voting machines.

Quote Originally Posted by peggygee

There's always some other GOP lackey to throw a wrench in the works, and don't forget the easily rigged Diebold voting machines.

I get the sense that hacking or attempting to hack the Diebold machine
    will be a little trickier this time around in the most observed election in
    history.

I am not qualified to ring in on this as I have a green card, and cannot vote, but as much as it pained me, McCain is going to win. I live in California in an affluent area and I do not know anyone who is not republican - and this is California! My pseudo-liberal friends are not going to help either, after a few drinks even the most green cali person starts dropping n bombs. It is strange that people here have no problems with illegal mexicans coming in our houses cleaning every day, but if one black person shows up in HB, cops follow them until they leave...?

Veteran Poster

This can reduced to two points.

She's a woman, she's pretty,and she can draw female Hillary supporters.

Her husband is a chief executive for BP.

Considering McCain's age,appeal to women, and his position against Alaska drilling, it's a good strategic move. For the energy sector, energy policy is back as a major issue.

Quote Originally Posted by southerncalisurfer
    I am not qualified to ring in on this as I have a green card, and cannot vote, but as much as it pained me, McCain is going to win. I live in California in an affluent area and I do not know anyone who is not republican - and this is California! My pseudo-liberal friends are not going to help either, after a few drinks even the most green cali person starts dropping n bombs. It is strange that people here have no problems with illegal mexicans coming in our houses cleaning every day, but if one black person shows up in HB, cops follow them until they leave...?
    I can remember when many Black people were not alllowed their right
    to vote.

I can also remember that it took The National Voting Rights Act of 1965
    to ensure that we had that right.

Now we have a Black Presidential hopeful, who is supported by a wide
    spectrum of the United States populus, and I dare-say the world..

This along with Governors, Senators, members of the House of
    Representaives, Ambassadors to foreign nations, Mayors of major cities,
    and other elected officials, says one tthing to me.....

"The times they are a'changing my friend, the times they are a'changing".

I am all for it Miss Gee, I just read the writing on the wall...

Veteran Poster

California is historically noted for "outside the box" thinking and progressive ideas, but I really don't believe that those come from anywhere close to either Hermosa nor Huntington Beach.

My point is that is not really the best place to go for insight into what Americans are going to decide, if the rest of the country starts thinking like people from those areas, I for one won't be coming back.

Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz
    Quote Originally Posted by dave252
    McCain will win and let me tell you why, because people vote from thier pocket books as do i. Being a social liberal and a fiscal conservative, I can speak of experience, in most cases the social issues, abortion, gay rights.... dont mean a thing when someone keeps telling us they want more of our hard earned wages for programs most of us will never use. When the price of gas and food and all means to live is ever increasing, do we need someone to tell us, the goverment wants more of our cash? I know Obama has pledged to cut middle class taxes, tax the rich and corporations. Bill Clinton said the same thing, and being divorced in 1994 and having to file single, my taxes went up and I was making 25k. The dems this year had a mock tax plan vote this year, any single person making 30K, thier taxes would go up, any married couple making 72k, the same. Is this what the dems call rich, thats why they always lose. What good are social reforms when the goverment robs your wallet and you have to struggle to pay your bills? The dems are not practical, they live in shangri-la. And now they want to have univeral health care, how much will that cost? The repubs know this, just watch thier commercials, whether its true or not. If Bush had cut spending when he cut taxes, this wouldnt even be a race, McCain would be a shoe in.
    That sugary artificial food coloring mixed with water must be really be good...

The Washington Post did the numbers.

C&L: As ThinkProgress reported, CNN on Tuesday showed a deceptive chart which wrongly suggests that John McCain’s tax plan provides more Americans with greater savings than that offered by Barack Obama. But CNN’s upper-crust income brackets, which start at $161,000 and represent only 5% of taxpayers, conceal the inescapable truth that Barack Obama’s proposals offer working and middle class Americans steeper tax benefits at every income level up to $110,000. And according to a new Gallup poll released this week, that truth isn’t lost on American voters.

By 48% to 43%, Americans surveyed by Gallup say Obama would better handle the issue of taxes than John McCain. And with good reason. As the Washington Post detailed, an analysis by the Tax Policy Center showed:

Those whose income is under $67,000 - 60% of all American taxpayers - would see substantially larger tax cuts under the Obama plan. While McCain’s plan concentrates 58% of its benefits to the wealthiest 1% of Americans, Obama’s rollback of the Bush tax cuts above $250,000 produces tax increases for that group.

Sadly, Obama’s story is not getting through. In the face of the TPC’s analysis showing that 95% of American taxpayers would see savings under the Obama tax plan, 53% of the Gallup respondents wrongly believe their tax burden would increase under President Obama. Meanwhile, despite the same analysis showing McCain’s plan to make permanent and expand the Bush tax cuts would produce a staggering $2.8 trillion in red ink for the federal budget, the Republican still claims the mantle of fiscal discipline.
    this kind of thinking is exactly why the dems lose, EVERYBODIES TAXES ARE TO HIGH, if you think corporations who will be taxed at a higher rate wont take away employee benefits or raise prices or just take thier headquarters to another country you may want to try some of that kool-aid. the consumers and the employess will feel it, not the corporation or the upper management. Most people believe our tax dollars are wasted to begin with. The rich are never hurt by higher taxes, they just dont invest thier money that helps create jobs and bring in higher tax revenues. Kennedy, Regan and Bush jr saw tax revenues soar after cutting taxes. Everybodies taxes.