Veteran Poster

Default Were you born with a political 'Heart'

or do you make up your mind as you go along?

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

I confess, Tom, I don't quite understand the question. I'll give it a shot though. I'm of the opinion that gradations in political policies on social issues arise from corresponding gradations of the "capacity" of humans to empathize with each other. I put "capacity" in quotes because I don't want to give the impression that the capacity of which I speak is entirely inborn. The ability to empathize can be stirred and strengthened through travel, discussion and literature. It can also be numbed by practiced greed, selfishness, cruelty and violence. It seems sometimes that stances on social issues divide between the empathetic and the selfish. Ayn Rand thought her philosophy rested upon Nietzschean foundations when she claimed "selfishness is a virtue". However, I believe her understanding was flawed. Whereas Nietzsche warns against “pity,” he also (in The Will to Power) attributes to the Ubermensch the trait of boundless magnanimity. So if by “heart” you mean the capacity to empathize together with the inclination to allow my political philosophy to be informed by that capacity, then yes, I’ve got a beating, throbbing political heart.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Veteran Poster

What I mean is: do you approach political issues from a partisan perspective (for whatever reason, and there are many), or do you attack each issue or problem from a position of objectivity?

I was asking because the political situation across the globe seems so polarised, yet everyone claims to be objective truth-seekers.

(Personally I think Ayn Rand was a poor novelist, and a bit of a cunt.)

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

I don’t think there are natural laws that dictate how humans should behave. So when approaching social issues (e.g. when trying to figure out how we should respond to political situations), we need to bring with us a set of human based axioms or preconceptions. I don’t believe those assumptions need to be so specific as to define a political ideology. What I bring to each political issue is my expertise, my life experience, a predisposition to seek solutions that are fair and encompassing. These values, I think, will embrace a broad spectrum of political persuasions excepting the most extreme.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomfurbs
    What I mean is: do you approach political issues from a partisan perspective (for whatever reason, and there are many), or do you attack each issue or problem from a position of objectivity?

I was asking because the political situation across the globe seems so polarised, yet everyone claims to be objective truth-seekers.

(Personally I think Ayn Rand was a poor novelist, and a bit of a cunt.)
    I'm skeptical & just a bit cynical. I approach political issues first with a single question: Is this an issue? More often than not, it isn't. The obvious followup question has to be: What are the actual ideological differences concerning the issue? What I've found is that the ideology on either side is usually defined, publicly & politically, by the opposition on the other side. This doesn't work. It leaves the public with no real information, & ends up as a name-calling fest.

The biggest political issue is the continuous attempt to stereotype everybody into misdefined ideologies that don't really fit. It happens on all sides, but it's most glaring when those who loudly tout the 10 Commandments as the basis of western civilization ignore the one that says "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.".

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

One more thing:

Ayn Rand was a tad long winded & tended to ignore the social shades of gray, but she had some legit points. Egoism has it's place. Awareness of our individuality helps make us human & keep us on top of the food chain. However, from what I've seen of the "objectivist" movement (I find that name change to be an insult to my intelligence), it would seem that the kool-aid kids who worship her as some kind of demigod would be the villians in her books.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Platinum Poster

Am I a southern democrat?

Hell yeah!

I ain't got much use for the GOP side of the family...I'll tolerate 'em during the holidays but that's about it...

Does that answer your question, Tom?

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe