Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default No more smoking.....

fuck the new law.....it is forbidden since 2008 too smoke a cigarete in any bar,disco,restaurant....you can smoking only on the street or at home....

this world is going crazy....what about the smoke from cars,airplanes,factorys.....that is much worse for our health....i am going too a bar for a beer and stick up a cigarrete.....so what???? a lot of people smoking cigarettes and now the smokers are scum since the smoking law....i smoking a lot and think this is a very dumb,stupid law from the politics......kill theme.....

Professional Poster

Smokers can smoke all they want as long as their smoke doesn't bother non-smokers. I mean when I go to eat at a restaurant I don't want people blowing their smoke my way. It's disgusting!

Not to mention I lost a lot of people (smokers) due to lung cancer.....

lung cancer could happen too everyone...even when you never smoke a cigarette....

Default Re: No more smoking.....

Quote Originally Posted by ImpulZ
    cars,airplanes,factorys.....that is much worse for our health...
    How do you figure?

I have a story about smoking & the long term ramifications.

My grandmother smoked... for five years.... back in the 1950's. Once she got preg with her first kid she quit, never smoked again, never lived or worked or hung out close to second hand smoke, it was a small 5 year habit and that was it.

Fifty years later, while I was in high school she got bladder cancer and ended up having most of it removed. In talking to her surgeon he said that it is common for seniors who smoked, even if it was 50+ years since they quit, tend to develop bladder cancer in their late 70s-onward.

That month he had 40 patients like her, virtually identical situations.

I have never seen something similar, with such similar user long term ramifications, resulting from car use. Used motor oil can cause skin cancer, but I so rarely hear of it actually being a widespread problem even for mechanics.

Looking at it as an issue of risk, sure you could get in a car wreck and die... but you're probably more likely to have health consequences from smoking then you would be likely to run into from motor vehicle use. Even if you never get cancer from smoking it does real damage to your body with every use which is more than what cars can claim.

And maybe its easier to withdraw from life
    With all of its misery and wretched lies
    If we're dead when tomorrow's gone
    The Big Machine will just move on
    Still we cling afraid we'll fall
    Clinging like the memory which haunts us all

i must say that smoking is not good and yeah your condition is getting a little bit worse......but i knew people who smoking there whole life and still are alive and got no healthy problems...just like me....i dont know or smoking cigarettes would kill you because there are a lot of other diseases that kills you......

Professional Poster

Dude, the point is if you want to take that risk it's fine, but you are indirectly making that decision for everyone around you. Not only is there a health risk, but if you smoke around someone, they go home smelling like smoke. Is that fair?? Why must I take YOUR habit home with ME? If I choose to fine, but I have no choice in the matter.
    If cig smokers weren't so selfish and obnoxious, it wouldn't be such an issue, but they feel they have a right to blow smoke in your face and throw cigarette butts on the ground. It's so much easier to deal with pot smokers because they don't want to get busted therefore are more discreet, try to keep the smoke away from others and dispose of the evidence. Maybe you guys should act more like that.

"I don't see it that way. I see it as a complete and total betrayal of my testicles!"

I am a smoker too, but although I was initially very angry about the ban I've pretty much come round to it. I stopped smoking for about 4 months to see what it was like, and by the end, even smelling it on someone's breath when they came in from the street was gross and made me feel slightly unwell. We should be allowed our habit - and I'm disgusted by how much we're taxed on it - but I think we need to acknowledge how unpleasant it would be for the non-smoking majority to have it back inside public spaces.

F R A T E R N I T A S O C C A S U S
    by Invitation

Professional Poster

lung cancer could happen too everyone...even when you never smoke a cigarette....
    You don't understand probability. I bet you buy lottery tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by scroller
    You don't understand probability. I bet you buy lottery tickets.
    i am dutch and my englisch sucks....writing and reading...sorry for that...i just try too say that its strange too never smoking a cigarrete again in a bar.... and never i smoking when people too ask me that

The whole thing about second hand smoke and lung cancer just distracts from the main issue, I guess you could call it a smokescreen. Most certainly people who live with a smoker, or those who work in a smoky environment (bartenders and waiters) are exposed to enough of it to impact their health.

I think the main issue is the fact that it stinks. I mean it really stinks. It is horrible, disgusting. I couldn't imagine eating food around that smell. Like the previous poster I am a former smoker, pack a day for ten years then quit cold turkey a year and a half ago. I can honestly say that I would never go into a restaurant or bar that permitted smoking inside now, not for my health but because it stinks. The same reason I wouldn't eat or party in a public restroom.

That being said, whether or not laws should be enacted to deal with this or just let the free market deal with it is a valid question. If all non-smokers felt like I do then restaurants and bars would accommodate us and ban you stinky fuckers without the need for the government to intervene. Then again the average consumer nowadays does not realize the power they wield with their dollars and so the solidarity required to enact a change rarely happens.

Also I think that all these taxes on cigarettes are bullshit as well. I mean it would be one thing if the revenue generated went into a fund that benefited sick smokers but it doesn't. Usually it goes into the general fund or is earmarked for schools, because these so-called "sin taxes" are about the only tax the public will approve come ballot time (because the majority doesn't smoke, the majority will vote for a smoker's tax).

Anyway I think you should take the opportunity to have some outside time every time you want a puff.