Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hey! Get off my lawn. 5 Star Poster Odelay's Avatar

Default Q for Brits on British vernacular

Just heard a line from a movie where a male character refers to a female character and says... "she thicks men's blood with coal."

Or, at least that's how I heard it. He was referring to a woman who was a ball buster. Is this a real saying in England or was this a screenwriter making shit up?

Junior Poster

I am no authority on the english language, but thats the first I have heard of that!

Though if it mentions coal, may be a more regional saying, perhaps one attahced to a region where coal mines were once located.

Im from ireland, definitely not british!, but close enough and know a lot of english and i never heard that before. also it appears to be illogical so you might have heard it wrong!

Junior Poster

never heard that one before. maybe coal miners were supposed to be tougher- - coal in their blood or something, but i don't see how you can thicken their blood with coal - they're either already a miner or they're not - so it sounds all wrong to me

the world's #1 fan of angelique ricard/sensational suzanne at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/angeli...rannysuperstar

Junior Poster

if you've seen the guy richie films and heard how they speak, dont be supprised at anything english people say. i dont think the even speak their own language anymore lol

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by MerriCait
    if you've seen the guy richie films and heard how they speak, dont be supprised at anything english people say. i dont think the even speak their own language anymore lol

nope, never heard that expression before and I'm originally from Scotland.Must have misheard.

ceci n'est pas une signature.

first time I go out out with an English co-worker for some drinks he excuses himself by saying he's gotta go outside to blow a fag

that's how I found out we have some major language differences

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by MerriCait
    actually, they're not much good at playing any of the games they invented either (soccer, cricket). Mind you, the Scots aren't that great at professional Golf either.

ceci n'est pas une signature.

Rookie Poster

Yeah, thats probably made up northern. And I'm guessing the blow a fag thing was meant as a joke.

"She's all states, and all princes I
    And nothing else is"
    John Donne

Quote Originally Posted by Svejk
    blow a fag
    That's - smoke a cigarette.

It's just different uses.Like in England if you heard a woman say kiss my fanny,she would mean her vagina.But in the U.S i think it means her ass.

I've never heard the quote in the OP 'tho.