Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish
    Can any Obama supporters articulate a logical case for voting for Obama?facts, logic, and reason required.
    As I've remarked before, there not just one valid case to be made but thousands.

Today let’s look at the Surge.

General Petraeus and the troops have brought down the rate of violence in Baghdad, where the surge is primarily focused. This does not mean the violence is under control. It only means the rate of the death rate is, at for now, negative. The troops for the surge have been obtained largely by extending the tours of duty of those already in service. The troops are to be congratulated for their hard work and sacrifice. The real progress in Iraq, the success the administration is touting, is not in Baghdad but in Anbar Province. It’s rather odd, however, to ascribe the drop in violence there to the surge which has barely touched Anbar. What’s going on in Anbar is the Arab Awakening. This has more to do with Petraeus’s counterinsurgency tactics and the decision of Shiite and Sunni to cooperate and help each other oust foreign insurgents than it has to do with the extended tours of duty some call the surge.

Does McCain understand any of this? It’s doubtful. He doesn’t even know that Iraq doesn’t border Pakistan. McCain repeatedly confuses the distinction between Shiite and Sunni, a distinction crucial to understanding the political complexities of the Middle East and Iraq in particular. McCain was a C student in college and he remained a C student as a Senator. He’s proven repeatedly that he’s confused by the simplest distinctions. He claims to know how to win wars. But McCain has never won a war. Indeed he has never had a command unless you count the time near the end of his military career when he was in charge of a training squadron in Florida.

Obama needs no geography lessons or briefs on Middle East politics. He understands the basics and the subtleties. He is in essence already our leader by default via the vacuum of leadership in the current Whitehouse: Obama has urged time tables for the diminution of U.S. troops in Iraq. Now Maliki, Bush and McCain are talking time tables (oops time horizons…sorry). Obama has called for increased troop levels in Afghanistan. Now Bush and McCain see the light…a few short weeks after Obama, they too are calling for more troop presence in Afghanistan.

McCain has recently said that the ultimate humiliation for the U.S. would be a withdrawal of her troops from Iraq. Bush has already humiliated the U.S. by invading Iraq and citing for his justification intelligence reports that were transparently false. An Obama presidency would restore integrity once again to our great nation.

So just what are Barack Hussein’s qualifications?

5 Star Poster

I would be disappointed. But I have at least a little faith in the ability of John McCain. While someone his age may get a little foggy what he has is real wisdom. He's been a public servant for a long time and knows what war really is like. Unlike some presidents he didn't fly in no national guard. He was in Viet Nam. So he knows what these vets are going through (I know I know GI bill but still he knows more than GWB by far.)

I guess what I am saying is that McCain would at least be better than GWB.

Make no mistake I support Obama but if Mc Cain one I would not move to Canada. It wouldn't be that bad.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Jimbob responds to my response to a question with another question:
    Thank you for asking. And thank you so much for quoting the entirety of my last post. That was very kind of you. You may have noticed that it, like my other posts, already lists not only some of Obama’s qualifications but also some of John Sidney McCain III’s disqualifications. By the way, have you noticed John Sidney McCain the Third (man of the people, not at all an elitist) is too tired to campaign on weekends? I expect as president he’ll be taking off on weekends as well. That’s all right though; he has eight different luxury homes in which he can kick back and relax.

So jimbob, just what do YOU think counts as a qualification? The constitutional qualifications are quite minimal. Even McCain and Bush qualify according to the constitution. Of course the electorate’s qualifications for the presidency are numerous and always in flux. Mine do not include, “would be a great guy or gal to have a drink with.” For people serving in public office, I look for integrity (unlike that shown by the members of the Keating five). I look for someone who respects and will protect the rights of individuals (I addressed this in part in my post on page 3 of this thread; McCain is against the right of women to control their own bodies). I look for a solid grasp of economic and political issues both domestic and foreign (This I already partially addressed in the post you quoted. McCain has no understanding of the distinction between the surge and counterinsurgency tactic. He has no understanding of the distinction between Sunni and Shiite). I could go on, and I will in future posts. In the meantime you might like to answer, if you're capable, some of the points already made instead of asking for more.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by jimbobw2
    Quote Originally Posted by chefmike
    Can any Obama supporters articulate a logical case for voting for Obama?facts, logic, and reason required.
    There are thousands of reasons.
    Bingo, trish!

Here's another: Obama wouldn't have vetoed the stem cell research bill, which could one day save your life or a loved one's.

And another: an end to tax cuts and tax havens for the top few percent.

And another: a sane foreign policy, one that isn't controlled by a senile old fool like McCain who knows nothing but war. A man who graduated in the bottom 1 percent of his class at Annapolis, yet still managed to get the highly coveted assignment of carrier pilot. A man who touts his POW experiences to cover up his otherwise very mediocre military career as a naval aviator. A man who has shown that he is willing to flip-flop on any position in order to get elected...in other words, another war-mongering white man of privilege like our current chimp-in-chief.
    you are a Marxist, are you not
    Negative, jimbob(how apropos)...but you are obviously a totally clueless neocon stooge and a bush apologist, are you not?

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Professional Poster

Because no qualification is going to convince you that Obama is probably the better candidate, I'll steal what someone else has posted.

Quote Originally Posted by FeliciaKatt

Obama was a State Legislator for 8 years, sponsoring over 800 pieces of legislation.

He spent much of his time in the Senate taking a high-profile position as spokesman for Democrats’ efforts to overhaul congressional ethics standards. As a member of the minority party, Obama also worked across the aisle with Republicans to push several measures that became law in 2006. including a law creating a single, searchable database of all federal contracts, grants and loans. He partnered with senior Indiana Republican Sen. Richard Lugar, the former chairman of the Foreign Relations panel, to sponsor legislation to strengthen international efforts to destroy conventional weapons,

He was lead sponsor of a bill to provide relief and promote democracy in the Democratic Republic of Congo, which was signed into law in December 2006.

He introduced legislation in 2005 to require federal preparations for an avian flu pandemic.

He backed the creation of an independent “Office of Public Integrity” that would investigate congressional ethics cases and receive and monitor financial disclosure reports required from members of Congress, officers and employees of Congress and lobbyists.

you can read more about his accomplishments in the Senate at this site:
    http://obamasresume.org/

His educationsal accomplishments are equally impressive
    Occidental College, Los Angeles, CA
    Undergraduate, 1981-1983

Columbia University
    B.A. Political Science with specialization in international relations
    Thesis topic: Soviet nuclear disarmament
    Graduate

Harvard Law School
    J.D. magna cum laude 1988-1991

President, Harvard Law Review

That means he was one of the very best students at THE very best law school. But then he worked as a community organizer for a fraction what he could have made at a law firm. Later on, he did work as an associate attorney with a law firm specializing in civil rights litigation and neighborhood economic development, while also working as a Lecturer, in Constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School.

Compare that resume to W's who nearly managed to swallow the silver spoon in his mouth he was born with. Or with McCain. Who was 884th out of 889 students at the Navel Academy, where he was only admitted because his father and grandfather were Admirals. His record there was terrible by his own admission.

He crashed 4 planes while in the Navy.

He was only allowed to be a pilot because of his family connections. sound familiar??

Every job he ever got was through family connections. sound familiar??

He ditched his first wife when she became disabled and married a young heiress, whose money he used to enter politics.

He was one of the 5 infamous "Keating Five" who took $1.3 million from the subsequently jailed Keating that lead to the Savings and Loan debacle. The Senate Ethics Committee reprimanded McCain, called his judgment poor, and forced him to return thousands of dollars in illegal contributions. McCain has taken more money from lobbyists than any other politician.

Obama has a resume. McCain has a rap sheet.

Alright Then.

Rookie Poster

happy, then do little dance

peace is a lie, there is only passion, through passion, I gain strength, through strength, I gain
    power, through power, I gain victory, through victory, my chains are broken

Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by casca82
    happy, then do little dance
    Ignorance is bliss.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Junior Poster

There are thousands of reasons.
    Bingo, trish!

Here's another: Obama wouldn't have vetoed the stem cell research bill, which could one day save your life or a loved one's.

And another: an end to tax cuts and tax havens for the top few percent.

And another: a sane foreign policy, one that isn't controlled by a senile old fool like McCain who knows nothing but war. A man who graduated in the bottom 1 percent of his class at Annapolis, yet still managed to get the highly coveted assignment of carrier pilot. A man who touts his POW experiences to cover up his otherwise very mediocre military career as a naval aviator. A man who has shown that he is willing to flip-flop on any position in order to get elected...in other words, another war-mongering white man of privilege like our current chimp-in-chief.
    you are a Marxist, are you not
    Negative, jimbob(how apropos)...but you are obviously a totally clueless neocon stooge and a bush apologist, are you not?
    I am off to air up my tires and get a tune-up

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

jimbo will be in less pain if he gets a lube.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Junior Poster

i am not voting for obama , so i want him to lose , McCain is not a great canidate and he is old , he reminds me of Bob Dole , yet i have to vote McCain to prevent the democrats from running the show with veto proof majority in the senate , that would be truly scary ! Bush is horrible , he ruined the republican brand , actually not just him many republicans are slightly better then democrates yet still horrible , it's like the lesser evil and that's sad no doubt