Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rookie Poster

We are paying much more than $4.50. The hidden cost of building and maintaining a massive military industrial complex that's only major purpose in todays world is to protect our oil interests abroad adds allot more to that price.

Just because we are charging it so that our children and grandchildren will be the ones to pay for it doesn't mean it's free. All things compared fairly, we are paying more for gas than Europe.

Veteran Poster

Don't remember where I found this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	take_it_all_148.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	189403  

Quote Originally Posted by uktlover
    In england now its £1.20 per litre, this works out to £5.46 a gallon, which in US dollars is $10.93! no offence you guys have had cheap fuel for too long, and have tried to have a cartel over the world oil

rant over
    The price of gas is usually fairly consistent globally, it's the fees & taxes that are different from place to place.

I wouldn't want to be a car enthusiast in the UK, they tax the gas, the purchase of the car, the DL, the size of the engine (that's the painful one)... anything else I'm forgetting? I have read that to have an American v8 on the road in Ireland you're looking at about $4-6 grand in USD per year just i the engine size based fees.

But is it more expensive? Most of these European countries also have a lot more services that these tax dollars pay for. I am not saying these services are better, but there are more of them. I believe there are more nations in the EU with some variation of universal healthcare than not.

I would say "that stuff wouldn't fly here" with the taxes & fees but that would be a lie, the politicians just haven't realized they could pull it off without riots yet.

I can remember when prices started to spike and everyone would talk about the "riots in the streets" when it reaches $2, later that argument was changed for 3, 4, 5 a gal. It didn't happen, people just continued with their usual habits letting their plastic pay for it. Kinda think that the spikes & dips in fuel prices are intentional. If you suddenly raise it 20¢ a gal, bring it down 15¢, repeat, and suddenly people are conditioned to think $3 gas is cheap.

And maybe its easier to withdraw from life
    With all of its misery and wretched lies
    If we're dead when tomorrow's gone
    The Big Machine will just move on
    Still we cling afraid we'll fall
    Clinging like the memory which haunts us all

I remember filling up in Jersey for like 90 cents a gallon. Oh how times have changed lol.

Well, here today is around 8.22 per gallon...