Default Cheney: 'Keep 'em in the dark and feed 'em bullshit!"

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Vice President Dick Cheney's office pushed for major deletions in congressional testimony on the public health consequences of climate change, fearing the presentation by a leading health official might make it harder to avoid regulating greenhouse gases, a former EPA official maintains.

Dick Cheney's office requested that testimony about climate change be cut, an ex-EPA official says.

When six pages were cut from testimony on climate change and public health by the head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention last October, the White House insisted the changes were made because of reservations raised by White House advisers about the accuracy of the science.

But Jason K. Burnett, until last month the senior adviser on climate change to Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Stephen Johnson, says that Cheney's office was deeply involved in getting nearly half of the CDC's original draft testimony removed.

"The Council on Environmental Quality and the office of the vice president were seeking deletions to the CDC testimony (concerning) ... any discussions of the human health consequences of climate change," Burnett has told the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee.

The three-page letter, a response to an inquiry by Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-California, the panel's chairwoman, was obtained Tuesday by The Associated Press. Boxer planned a news conference later in the day.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/07/....ap/index.html

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

All part of the right's War On Truth.
    If you're against the war, you're not a patriot.
    Fight the Truth.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Something about this story doesn't work. You can add to the Congressional Record, but I don't think you can delete from it. Certainly not the executive branch. The members of Congress may revise & extend their remarks, but I would think that any revision of Congressional testimony would have to be in the form of an addendum. Maybe I'm wrong.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Something about this story doesn't work. You can add to the Congressional Record, but I don't think you can delete from it. Certainly not the executive branch. The members of Congress may revise & extend their remarks, but I would think that any revision of Congressional testimony would have to be in the form of an addendum. Maybe I'm wrong.
    Hmm, I would think that potential testimony to be given by EPA employees about agency findings would be submitted to the EPA head, who would check with the White House before approving it. The testimony would be altered before Congress got it. The article isn't clear though and I'm not 100% sure.

Professional Poster

cheney hand his grubby lil halliburton hands all over everything from that fuckin energy task force thereafter.........

Rookie Poster

Yes, what they are saying is that Cheney ordered the _testimony_ to be changed, not the records. In other words, Cheney wanted the person who would speak before congress on behalf of the administration to play down the greenhouse gas issue. So he wasn't trying to change the record after it was written, he was trying to change what was said in testimony (and then recorded) in the first place.