Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast
    5 Star Poster

Infamous Copacabana Nightclub Shutting Down

The Rio de Janeiro city government announced recently that it is shutting down one of the city’s most infamous nightclubs, “Help” in Copacabana, known for rampant prostitution and to a lesser degree, drug trafficking.

Though the club used to be a hot spot for middle and upper class Cariocas in the 1980s, it gradually transformed into a club for tourists and prostitutes in the 1990s. Women pay the entrance fee of R$23 and can earn up to 20 times more in one night. One prostitute claimed she made R$2,000 during Carnival alone.

Prices, however, vary by nationality. Prostitutes typically charge R$200 to Argentines, while Swiss tourists pay up to R$500. Sometimes, though not frequently, prostitutes go abroad to live with their clients, usually in Europe, and have come to be known as “Ronaldinhas.”
    help.jpg

But this spot frequented by the city’s prostitutes will soon be closing. The government’s plan is to convert the space into the Museu da Imagem e do Som (the Museum of Image and Sound). Supporters of the plan applauded the government for finally making the move to get rid of the club.

However, in an article featured in Globo’s weekend magazine, Revista, several groups are featured that actually are against shutting down the nightclub.

First, the NGO A DaVida, a group that defends prostitutes’ rights, claims that the nightclub is actually a safer venue for prostitutes to make money, without any middlemen or bosses who could exploit them. In Brazil, prostitution is in fact legal, but prostitutes’ exploração (exploitation) is not.

Next, an American anthropologist who lives in Rio with his Brazilian wife has performed studies and interviews at the club, and also argues that the club is a place for “safe” prostitution. He also claims it is one of the few places where women have the ability to pick and chose their own clients.

But despite their arguments, it seems the government has the last word, and the future of Copa’s working women is unclear.

http://www.transparent.com/portugues...shutting-down/

Last edited by praetor; 02-02-2011 at 01:19 PM.

Veteran Poster

praetor, the talk of help closing has been going on for a long time now, when is it actually gonna happen?

5 Star Poster

Quote Originally Posted by addicted
    praetor, the talk of help closing has been going on for a long time now, when is it actually gonna happen?
    That's the question, nobody really knows about. I heard a rumor it is happen this year, but not assured.

Veteran Poster

Who needs Help when you can go to Terma Centaurus in Ipanme and spend 400 Reais to bust a nut !

** being sarcastic in here **

You are cordially invited to toss my salad

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by envivision
    Who needs Help when you can go to Terma Centaurus in Ipanme and spend 400 Reais to bust a nut !

centaurus is way over priced, the only reason to there is to get phone and meet the girls after hours. 4x4 in centro is the spot.

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by envivision
    Who needs Help when you can go to Terma Centaurus in Ipanema and spend 400 Reais to bust a nut !

centaurus is way over priced, the only reason to there is to get phone and meet the girls after hours. 4x4 in centro is the spot.
    Oh I see. But you will still be down by 120 Reais which is the entrance fee. No thanks. I'd rather spend my hard earned money in MC, Uomo, and 65.

Rio Antigo also rocks since it is located at Augusta Severo (sp), where the TG's hang out. I always hit the place after my enconter with the TG's to even the things out, catch my drift.

You are cordially invited to toss my salad

Veteran Poster

yea thats a good deal going by the rio antigo area.

I was in Rio 2 years ago and they were talking about closing it down then (this will be the last year we're open). Shame if it does. It'll just send so many working girls to the streets, which can be pretty dangerous at any time

Rookie Poster

why are there so many ts in rio?

5 Star Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna_Spears
    why are there so many ts in rio?

May be water, and more, this time, Ivana.

Last edited by praetor; 02-02-2011 at 01:18 PM.