Page 1 of 30 12345611 ... LastLast
    Racist Asshole ... I'm Banned! Professional Poster

Default Supreme Court ruled today on the D.C. gun ban

The Supreme Court ruled today that the D.C. gun ban violates the 2nd amendment to keep and bear arms. Gun control advocates often posit the argument that it only applies to a "well regulated militia". The court ruled that this operative clause’s text and history demonstrate that it connotes an individuals right to keep and bear arms as well for personal self-defense.

An excerpt from the court today: The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditional lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.

Currently in D.C., handgun ownership is not permitted, and rifles in the home must be kept disassembled and with trigger locks that render the gun non-functional.

Now the occupational hazards for would be burglars will be death, or if they're lucky and arrested ... jail.

Rookie Poster

I'm a girly boy who has a concealed-carry permit, so I'm getting a real kick out of this ruling...

Professional Poster

It does actually say "well regulated militia" in the amendment, after all. Hard to see how they could miss that.

Quote Originally Posted by scroller
    It does actually say "well regulated militia" in the amendment, after all. Hard to see how they could miss that.
    Militia - an group of people who arm themselves and conduct quasi-military training

Quote Originally Posted by joserchi2002
    It also states, "the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.". Doesn't say those people have to be in the aformentioned militia.

The casae was really settle when DC's lawyer made his opening comments. The judges pretty much told him his statesments made a case of the militia and people being seperate. lol...

I'd love to see how crime rates change in DC when the laws are actually dropped.
    Technically the ban is dropped. The D.C. police chief went before the media today. He stated that he formally submitted to the department for the development of procedures to be implemented for the immediate registration of handguns.

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by InHouston
    Militia - an group of people who arm themselves and conduct quasi-military training
    Look how you again missed the "well-regulated" part.

Quote Originally Posted by InHouston
    Look how you again missed the "well-regulated" part.
    And the rights of the people to bear arms will not be infringed upon. The Supreme Court ruled the 2nd amendment refers to well-regulated militias and the people. Not just militias. They didn't miss that. That has been debated in the courts for decades now. The Supreme Justices studied the history of decades upon decades of court cases and the works of scholars both pre and post 2nd amendment to determine this.

Veteran Poster

Isn't it about time we got rid of the 2nd amendment. I mean this IS 2008, not 1776, if I'm not mistaken...

uh oh...I'm gonna be ducking all those NRA bullets coming my way any minute now...

ceci n'est pas une signature.

Junior Poster

Great. Expect more school shootings and workplace shootings.

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by hugochavez
    Great. Expect more school shootings and workplace shootings.
    you're right on the mark dude!

ceci n'est pas une signature.