Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by JANIRA
    Quote Originally Posted by mimiplastique
    Quote Originally Posted by Justawannabe
    I also suffered from panic attacks, to the point of being house bound for a short period. I know you don't know me from Adam but I do want to mention two things.

First is that xanax, while a wonderful drug, does have an anxiety increasing withdrawl issue. You can get crawling feelings and what feels like 'restless leg' syndrome from it. Particularly bad if combined with caffeine and certain anti-depressants. Both me and my housemate suffered the same issues a year or so apart from this. It was very stressful because we didn't know to expect it and when the feeling started we would tense up and head from back withdrawl symptom into full blown panic attack due to not know what was happening.

Second is that yoga and other techniques for achieving a 'let it pass' attitude seems to be one of the best answers to panic attacks. I know that sounds trite and simple, but it's not. I had to have a near fatalcrew up to get me past the worst of mine, and it wasn't until I just gave up on surviving for a second that I realized I wasn't in control enough to bother panicking. That realization that I couldn't control the outcome of things really helped me get a grip on the attacks... I began to realize that I was having an attack and there was nothing I could do to change it until it stopped. Surprisingly, the number of attacks dropped from daily or more to monthly or less almost immeadeately.

I don't know if that will help you at all, but it helped me so much to just let the attack happen and watch it like a disinterested scientist cataloguing how it felt... well it let me start having a life again. And if I can pass that along to someone else, well maybe there was some good in all those attacks I waded through.

(I used that whole prayer from Dune... fear is the mind killer, I shall let it pass through me, can't remember it right now... or whatever... just pictured the panic as a wave of water passing over and through me... cheesy but it helped)

Sean

thank you for sharing this with me

Honestly , if Mimi,, i was gonna do it at home aswell but its nothing liek going to a place were they teach you,, i love it this way because you get more motivated,, you meet new people as well, and they will guide you as your doing your poses, and so forth. Remember yoga is a process like life it self, its n ot a over night thing that you fully accomplish in one shot,, its a process,, and a worth while one. My advice to you is scope out a few yoga classes,, get a feel for one that you vibe with,, some are not so relaxing,, or the teachers might be some what not on your vibe,, feel me? Try going to a few yoga studios get a feel, and see which one suits you best. Remember , you have to realize that its not a one time thing,, you have to have a open mind to it.

okay sounds good ... great advice thank you

Rookie Poster

Seroquel works for me ask you dr about it.

Junior Member Rookie Poster

About 8 years ago, I was almost debilitated by panic attacks.

Tried group therapy - interesting and a good way to meet some really messed up people, but didn't stop the panic attacks.

Best solution was meds

Celexa or Paxil on a daily basis,

Propranolol as needed - you have to take it in advance of when you think you might be in a situation where you'll panic - it prevents that adrenaline "rush" when you have an attack...

Good Luck - you _will_ get through this.

Remove the water, carry the water

Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Bulliani
    About 8 years ago, I was almost debilitated by panic attacks.

Tried group therapy - interesting and a good way to meet some really messed up people, but didn't stop the panic attacks.

Best solution was meds

Celexa or Paxil on a daily basis,

Propranolol as needed - you have to take it in advance of when you think you might be in a situation where you'll panic - it prevents that adrenaline "rush" when you have an attack...

Good Luck - you _will_ get through this.

i hate paxil and celexa i can't get hard at all...

Junior Poster

I think marijuana prevents panic attacks, not induces them....lol.

The will of the people is the only legitimate foundation of any government, and to protect its free expression should be our first object.
    Thomas Jefferson
    3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by jefferson1776
    I think marijuana prevents panic attacks, not induces them....lol.

not weed increases your heart rate by tripple sometimes and puts you at 4 times a risk for having a heart attack !!! It makes people with panic worry more about their heart rate and silly shit thus making the heart beat faster because your brain is sending you fake signals that your body is in trouble
    causing a panic attack
    i have gone through this for years !!!! thats why i smoke on and off !!!!

Veteran Poster

• eddie, " so why go to college? "
    • sarah, " got nothing else to do on tuesdays and thursdays. "
    • eddie, " so what do you do on the other days? "
    • sarah, " i drink. "

and that's why the cubs will never win the series