Platinum Poster

Default Full Metal McCain

A great article in Rolling Stone by Matt Taibbi-

Full Metal McCain
    Haunted by the ghosts of Vietnam, the one-time maverick has transformed himself into just another liberal-bashing fearmonger

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...l_metal_mccain

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Platinum Poster

Taibbi's writing reminds me of the brilliant political coverage that HST once did for Rolling Stone:

"Rather than serving up the "straight talk" he promises, McCain is enthusiastically jumping aboard with every low-rent, fearmongering, cock-sucking presidential aspirant who's ever traveled the Lee Atwater/William Safire highway."

Platinum Poster

This is great stuff:

"Never mind that Iraq isn't exactly Vietnam, or that Barack Obama isn't Jane Fonda — what matters is that the Republicans nominated a wounded old soldier who now gets to spend the next five months trying to exorcise his personal demons, and this serendipitous circumstance fits nicely with the party's national strategy, despite the fact that pinning these old hurts on the likes of Obama makes no sense at all. Still, it's not hard to hear, in McCain's quasi-coherent rants, his bitterness at being abandoned to years of savage tortures while millions of little Hillarys and Bills and Obamas-in-training were getting high and balling each other during the Country Joe and the Fish set at Woodstock, instead of standing up and saluting the "winnable" war effort that got McCain sent to Vietnam in the first place."

Default Re: Full Metal McCain

Quote Originally Posted by chefmike
    Haunted by the ghosts of Vietnam, the one-time maverick has transformed himself into just another liberal-bashing fearmonger
    "Transformed" my ass. I'm from AZ & I remember when he first ran for Congress. This is the same campaign.

"I was a POW! Getting my plane shot out from under me makes me an expert in all foreign affairs."

He's just a shill for the pentagon & always has been. He couldn't become Admiral McCain III so he's trying to do a one-up. He's never had a real job. His name got him into Annapolis right out of high school. After rehab, he was a pentagon liaison (lobbyist) to Congress. His daddy-in-law, the "beer baron", gave him a paycheck to schmooze with the republican movers & shakers in AZ, & as soon as John Rhodes retired, there he was.

There's never been any "straight talk". He just reads off the cards or the teleprompter. If he gets elected President, there'll be bombs & missiles flying everywhere. That's all he knows.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Platinum Poster

His name got him into Annapolis right out of high school.
    "Despite graduating in the bottom 1 percent of his Annapolis class, McCain was offered the most sought-after Navy assignment -- to become an aircraft carrier pilot. According to military historian John Karaagac, "'the Airdales,' the air wing of the Navy, acted and still do, as if unrivaled atop the naval pyramid. They acted as if they owned, not only the Navy, but the entire swath of blue water on the earth's surface." The most accomplished midshipmen compete furiously for the few carrier pilot openings. After four abysmal academic years at Annapolis distinguished only by his misdeeds and malfeasance, no one with a record resembling McCain's would have been offered such a prized career path."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeffre..._b_107409.html

How many jets did he total? How many kids did he kill? How do we know if really was tortured? Maybe he was merely "harshly interrogated" like at Bagram and Guantanamo. Why are the tapes he sent from North Viet Nam unavailable for public viewing?

If I got a dime every time I read an ad with purloined photos I could retire right now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QjS0AbRpAo Andenzi, izimvo zakho ziyaba.

Professional Poster

when are these spoiled ass sons of the Grand Ol Pederasts gonna take heed to the "pick yourself up by your bootstraps and work for something -beyond entitlements????"

He did pick himself up by marrying a rich capitalist's daughter.

If I got a dime every time I read an ad with purloined photos I could retire right now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QjS0AbRpAo Andenzi, izimvo zakho ziyaba.