Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Legend

Now you know how much of a loser that crack head whore is.
    Well, you would know about being a loser, wouldn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Realgirls4me
    Quote Originally Posted by Legend
    Are you really that stupid?
    Oh definitely. I have no idea what you and that shit-fly are arguing about, but he is definitely that stupid. Not worth wiping off your shoes, mate.

Junior Poster

Ah, look ! Heroine !

Default Re: amy winehouse in racist video

Quote Originally Posted by andyuk

personally hope this is the end of her carear.
    she as had enough chances.
    scum imvho along with her husband.
    Scum? Or one of the most talented artists to appear out of either the US or UK in the last five years with a tragic personal life? A young person who has lost control of her life due to the malign influence of some of the people around her?

She has certainly made mistakes, and big ones, but allowing herself, while clearly right out of her tree, to be persuaded to sing childish, thoughtless songs in complete private by a vicious, violent, manipulative thug does not qualify her as "scum."

As a matter of STRICT FACT (not something you'll ever find in the News of the Screws) Amy Winehouse is extremely sensitive to racism, having suffered from it herself. She has always made much of the artistic debt she owes to black artists and she surrounds herself with black musicians, many of whom are on record in their praise of her. Jazz musos are not noted for racism, BTW.

And furthermore, amongst the ranks of "scum" you count, presumably, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Lowell George, the King himself and so many others it hurts?

Tell me, will you remove her "scum" label once she's dead and it's too late?

You have no idea what you're talking about in regard to Amy Winehouse's personal life, her state of health or the terrible pressure that the utterly uncaring music industry puts ill-prepared young people through. Not every greatly talented artist can be a Shakira or a Beyonce, with the self-discipline to stay in control while they are riding the dragon. The music business eats vulnerable people alive.

(For the Americans: The News of the World (universally known as the News of the Screws within UK journalism) is another product of the Rupert Murdoch slime machine, and is the UK equivalent of the National Inquirer, but even more nasty, bigoted, prurient and vile.)

Rookie Poster

She should have done here racist rant against whites that way she would have been praised by the media. And before i receive angry responses i believe all races are equal,not the crap cnn or fox says.

Quote Originally Posted by sitruk
    She should have done here racist rant against whites that way she would have been praised by the media. And before i receive angry responses i believe all races are equal,not the crap cnn or fox says.
    The sad truth is you're 100% fucking right.

But I don't believe Amy is a racist-- you can hear, if you actually watch this nonsense, how she's set up for it. The racist is the guy behind the camera, (as well as being a depraved, violent shit who can stay in jail for the rest of his natural as far as I'm concerned) who encouraged a very out-of-it girl to behave badly.

Veteran Poster

I hear a lot of soul in her voice.She had to grow up near a record player listening to countless hours of jazz,r&b.This Jewish girl might be a junkie but definitely not a racist.imo

Quote Originally Posted by Jasadin
    I hear a lot of soul in her voice.She had to grow up near a record player listening to countless hours of jazz,r&b.This Jewish girl might be a junkie but definitely not a racist.imo
    Yeah, man the Blues god kissed her in her cradle all right, brother, Amen to that. Robert Johnson didn't write "Hellhound On My Trail" for nothing.

Veteran Poster

Jesus, I don't believe she's racist, and I feel sorry for her more than anything else, but she's not THAT great. She stands out because everyone else is shit

Put her in a room with Bessie Smith, Memphis Minnie, Billy Holliday, Sister Rosetta, or even fucking Janis Joplin, and she will come across as severely lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomfurbs

Put her in a room with Bessie Smith, Memphis Minnie, Billy Holliday, Sister Rosetta, or even fucking Janis Joplin, and she will come across as severely lacking.

Speaking as a lifelong fan of the above singers and blues, r&b and soul music generally I have to totally disagree with that singularly blinkered assessment.

Amy is definitely in the class of singers you have mentioned, and frankly, much though I absolutely love JJ, Amy could sing her into a bucket. I fully accept it's not all about technique and singers like Bessie Smith were contending with recording standards that were simply not comparable to today's, but AW's technique as well as her understanding of the music and natural soul mark her out as one of the greats. The all-time greats. I'd be hard-pressed to think of a better female singer in this area to emerge since Aretha Franklin. Some other singers do some things much better, but AW's pitching, dynamics, rhythm and phrasing, not to mention the sheer blues in her voice, put together, are really exceptional.

And please note AW is also a very accomplished songwriter as well as a stellar singer.

Neither the fact that she has been given so much exposure, nor that the UK (sic) music scene has been dominated by so much relentless mediocrity for so many years, making the (very) occasional real talent stand out, detract from AW's talent, making her personal tragedy even more painful.