Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by blckhaze
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMaster
    on a side note, ANYONE brings up ANY southern Rapper into this covo deserves to be slapped 1000 times. Southern style rap (and to a lesser extent mid west/chi-town rap) KILLED HIP HOP. They deserve their bread like anyone, but none of them, repeat NONE OF THEM, can hold a candle to any of the true legends of hip hop.
    B, your bias is astounding! Are you saying Outkast, Geto Boys, Little Brother, and Goodie Mob have contributed nothing to Hip-Hop? BS manne! D.O.C. (from DFW) drew comparisons to Rakim even if he repped the West. Expand your mind. The world doesn't begin and end on the East Coast. Hell one of NY's top producers is from the South, DJ Premier, straight out of TEXAS! Does Dipset rep all of NY?
    Outkast is OK, not great, but ok in my book. The rest can stay on the shelf. I gave props to the West. Tupac, Snoop and crew KILLED the east coast till Osama blew Up the Twin towers, but the South has hurt Hip Hop CONSIDERABLY. Most of that stuff sounds like it was made in a basement with someones mama yelling in the background. I may be in love with the old school, rhyme the whole verse and still make a message rap, but I cant possible expand my horizons to listen to shit like Soulja boy, Lil mama (who repps BK) and the like.

AND STOP CALLING ME B!!
    lol
    I'm not asking you to like Souljaboy (hell I don't), but I am saying don't lump everybody in. Outkast is GREAT but you're entitled to your opinion. There are wide variety of rappers out there even in the South. The East ignored an entire region that outnumbered them and it created its own rappers. Some rappers received more shine than they should have because they repped the South. However the decrease in quality has to do with corporate slugs who ride the latest trend. They snatched up "any" southern rapper they could get their claws into and tried to have the same success. They started to suffer diminishing return. Same thing can be seen movie with the superhero movies coming out. Blade blew up then all the studios started fighting over comic property. Some will be good but a lot won't because they won't real time into development. Shop Boys, Hurricane Chris, Huey, and Rich Boy, what kind of numbers did they do ultimately? Will we see second album, doubtful? If you have nothing whatsoever to offer you will die off as you should. The real Southern pioneers continue to have fans till this day. Everybody and they mama can't rap!

Silver Poster

OMG Lauryn one hitter? I almost blew a blood vessel on that one. She has dudes BEGGING to come back. She CARRIED the fuggees and put them on the map with her singing AND rapping. And if your gonna knock a dude out for output, you gotta classify it, cause tupac has like 50 albums put out after he died. Cube is in the Convo for top 25, but not top 10 nor top 5, in any catergory that you can name resulting from Hip hop, other than kids movies

Ice cube is a hip hop pioneer and has shaped much of what is is.

If you wanna continue to deny that......

Thats on you.

Junior Poster

OMG Lauryn one hitter? I almost blew a blood vessel on that one. She has dudes BEGGING to come back. She CARRIED the fuggees and put them on the map with her singing AND rapping. And if your gonna knock a dude out for output, you gotta classify it, cause tupac has like 50 albums put out after he died. Cube is in the Convo for top 25, but not top 10 nor top 5, in any catergory that you can name resulting from Hip hop, other than kids movies
    Miseducation was a classic album but it was her only album unless you want to count Unplugged. Fugees The Score, great album, what followed? I think Jean Grae could serve her if it was straight rapping. I only count 'Pac's five. 2Pacalypse to Makaveli. Everything after that capitalism and without his consent or input. I don't count Born Again for Biggie or Big Picture for Big L. On output I classify what you did in life not your throwaways that somebody finds and exploits later.

What would your top 10 look like?

Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by worthy2
    fuck ice cube, gangster rap is bullshit and negative. ice cube is garbage to me but that just my opinion and i am not telling anyone who to like or not.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Did you listen to the track?

Silver Poster

I'm raw as a dirty needle,
    choke a eagle, just to feed all my people

All yall tryin to pretend this track isn't cerebral fire.....you're lyin.

Silver Poster

One thing I don't think that has been brought up is that most of these guys mentioned started out in groups.....groups that changed the face of music forever.

For what its worth, very few had the social impact as a solo artist that they did as a group. They were bigger commercially but had negligible effect on changing how we think.

Was Cube bigger than NWA?
    Chuck D. bigger than PE?

Pac was an exception but he was by far the most talented of the bunch and even he started out with Digital Underground.

Greed has made Hip Hop what it is today.

I've neverdone good things
    I've never done bad things
    I've never done anything out of the blue

ummmmm what? sorry. Shes keeping me occupied.

that is tru ed.
    although chuck carried PE IMO. Flava flav = the best hype man ever.

blckhaze- A quickie in the back of a carriage going around Central park south

RubyTS- been there done that :P

Silver Poster

I keep it gangsta,
    And why should I change that.
    Fuck you old muthafucka's tryin to change rap.

But ain't you the same cat,
    that sat back, when they brought cocaine back.

Best track of 2008 so far.

Veteran Poster

Remember me from way back in the days
    Lived right around the corner from Benjamin Mays
    I'm amazed that we made it this far
    A po black family is all that we are
    Wishing upon a star
    For a trace of happiness
    My mama do her best but she ain't making no progresss
    Maybe it's a test that we all gotta pass
    My situations making me grow too fast
    13 and a half years old standing at the bus stop
    Alone in the cold on my way to be degraded
    For a fee to help get my family off this streeet called Sesame
    now that is powerful.

Silver Poster

There's nothin wrong with Goodie Mob.

That doesn't stop Cube from bein among the greatest top 5.

And that doesn't stop his new song from being the best of 2008 so far.

You can hate all you like,

I got enough confirmation already.