Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    ummmmm what? sorry. Shes keeping me occupied.

on a side note, ANYONE brings up ANY southern Rapper into this covo deserves to be slapped 1000 times. Southern style rap (and to a lesser extent mid west/chi-town rap) KILLED HIP HOP. They deserve their bread like anyone, but none of them, repeat NONE OF THEM, can hold a candle to any of the true legends of hip hop.

blckhaze- A quickie in the back of a carriage going around Central park south

RubyTS- been there done that :P

LOL @ the old lingo.
    I havent heard B in a LONG time.
    Id put dre on my list long before Cube. If it was WC then cube is second to mac, WC is....ga'bage, but i still stand by my argument than he cant be second best and be top ten.

Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by blckhaze
    Quote Originally Posted by ARMANIXXX
    good? yes
    top 5, dunno

maybe i like the old school stuff more
    1 Tupac (although as I think Hollywood said most of his success came after he got killed)
    2 Nas/jayz (too close to call, but Jay may get the edge with longevity)
    4) Biggie Small (greatest story ever)
    5) KRS-one (homer pick i know)
    6) Run DMC
    7) Dr Dre (he carried NWA both lyrically and producing)
    Eminem (maybe shoul dbe higher, but hes disappeared so hes lost a few slots)
    9) Snoop dogg (although hes recent stuff is more pop than rap, he killed the east coast rap scene for a long time)
    10) Wu tang (yes all of them. yes ALL of them)

Ok..

I think I really see the problem here........the disconnect.

Apparently, as we all know the story, when West Coast Hip Hop was tryin to pave its way, East Coast heads were doin there damnest, perhaps unintentionally......perhaps not though, to avoid West coast hip hop. BlackHaze, your comment here is a testament to what I'm saying.

Everybody and they momma knows, Dre was in charge of most of NWA's music......the MUSIC.

Ice cube carried the burden of most of the lyrics.

I know you must be a hip hop head of some sort.....but apparently not of West Coast hip hop because that's very basic. And I'm not tryin to clown...I'm sayin whats crackin, and why the first few dudes weren't feelin what I'm sayin (because of east coast time time).

To everyone else, this is why there was and East vs. West in the mid 90's.

I now stand even stronger on my original sentiment:

ICE CUBE IS THE TOP 5 GREATEST RAPPERS OF ALL TIME........PERIOD.
    I can not under any good conscience put ice in my top 10 let alone top five. Dre AND Eazy E were both better than Cube. and in his most recent musical group he was still behind Mac 10 AND Warren G. you cant be the third best member in a group and be in a top ten.

But you're not listenin to me blood.

Easy E was primarily the front man, and early on, the financier of the group cause he was slang'in hard.

Dre was a musician, who was already with an R&B group.

Ice cube was the primary writer of NWA.

All that FBI shit,

That was because of Cube. When Cube left, NWA was never the same after.

ArmaniXXX, there is a LONG, distinguished list b4 Cube. He was good in his day, but you can easily name 5 guys from that era alone better than him. I left off Chuck D, MC shan, LL cool j (before the muscles) Canibus (b4 his anal rape by LL cool J), Talib Kwali, Mos Def, Common, Kool moe D, BIG PUN. Cube is behind all of them. Even Lauryn Hill, a WOMAN, is lyrically more gifted than Cube. Cmon

Junior Poster

on a side note, ANYONE brings up ANY southern Rapper into this covo deserves to be slapped 1000 times. Southern style rap (and to a lesser extent mid west/chi-town rap) KILLED HIP HOP. They deserve their bread like anyone, but none of them, repeat NONE OF THEM, can hold a candle to any of the true legends of hip hop.
    B, your bias is astounding! Are you saying Outkast, Geto Boys, Little Brother, and Goodie Mob have contributed nothing to Hip-Hop? BS manne! D.O.C. (from DFW) drew comparisons to Rakim even if he repped the West. Expand your mind. The world doesn't begin and end on the East Coast. Hell one of NY's top producers is from the South, DJ Premier, straight out of TEXAS! Does Dipset rep all of NY?

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMaster
    B, your bias is astounding! Are you saying Outkast, Geto Boys, Little Brother, and Goodie Mob have contributed nothing to Hip-Hop? BS manne! D.O.C. (from DFW) drew comparisons to Rakim even if he repped the West. Expand your mind. The world doesn't begin and end on the East Coast. Hell one of NY's top producers is from the South, DJ Premier, straight out of TEXAS! Does Dipset rep all of NY?
    Outkast is OK, not great, but ok in my book. The rest can stay on the shelf. I gave props to the West. Tupac, Snoop and crew KILLED the east coast till Osama blew Up the Twin towers, but the South has hurt Hip Hop CONSIDERABLY. Most of that stuff sounds like it was made in a basement with someones mama yelling in the background. I may be in love with the old school, rhyme the whole verse and still make a message rap, but I cant possible expand my horizons to listen to shit like Soulja boy, Lil mama (who repps BK) and the like.

AND STOP CALLING ME B!!
    lol

Junior Poster

ArmaniXXX, there is a LONG, distinguished list b4 Cube. He was good in his day, but you can easily name 5 guys from that era alone better than him. I left off Chuck D, MC shan, LL cool j (before the muscles) Canibus (b4 his anal rape by LL cool J), Talib Kwali, Mos Def, Common, Kool moe D, BIG PUN. Cube is behind all of them. Even Lauryn Hill, a WOMAN, is lyrically more gifted than Cube. Cmon
    I still say you have too measure skill, influence, and output. Cube is on point in all three categories.

Amerikkka's Most Wanted (classic)
    Death Certificate (classic)
    The Predator (great album)

Three heaters in a row. NWA changed the way folks rapped. Cube was the primary lyricists from which all rhymes were derived in the group so that alone makes influence significant.

Pun wasn't around long enough and didn't break the mold despite his immense skill. Common has never slipped but he still lacks the influence. Mos Def output is lagging. Can't rest on Black on Both Sides forever. Lauryn one heater! Love Canibus, but his output is shaky. Talib Kweli might be competition. Shan, simply no. I feel Cube influence was greater than LL's. Kool Moe didn't survive after LL served him. I concur Chuck D should be in the top 5 cause he satisfied all 3 criteria.

Junior Poster

I still say you have too measure skill, influence, and output. Cube is on point in all three categories.

Amerikkka's Most Wanted (classic)
    Death Certificate (classic)
    The Predator (great album)

Three heaters in a row. NWA changed the way folks rapped. Cube was the primary lyricists from which all rhymes were derived in the group so that alone makes influence significant.

Pun wasn't around long enough and didn't break the mold despite his immense skill. Common has never slipped but he still lacks the influence. Mos Def output is lagging. Can't rest on Black on Both Sides forever. Lauryn one heater! Love Canibus, but his output is shaky. Talib Kweli might be competition. Shan, simply no. I feel Cube influence was greater than LL's. Kool Moe didn't survive after LL served him. I concur Chuck D should be in the top 5 cause he satisfied all 3 criteria.

Silver Poster

I just text about 7 or 8 of my folks about Cubes single,

5 of em responded, and said this track is dope.

Apparently, West Coast is respected by those who respect West Coast.

But I thought we were over that by now.............

I guess not.

OMG Lauryn one hitter? I almost blew a blood vessel on that one. She has dudes BEGGING to come back. She CARRIED the fuggees and put them on the map with her singing AND rapping. And if your gonna knock a dude out for output, you gotta classify it, cause tupac has like 50 albums put out after he died. Cube is in the Convo for top 25, but not top 10 nor top 5, in any catergory that you can name resulting from Hip hop, other than kids movies