Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Junior Poster

Ice Cube . . . Top 5? Absolutely.

I refer the doubters to his verse on "Parental Discretion's Advised" on the Straight Outta Compton album. Lyrical genius.

Note, he wrote most of the classic album "Eazy Duz It", Eazy-E's first album.

I have always seen him as the West Coast lyrical equivalent of Big Daddy Kane.

His work from the eighties is . . . . Damn.

Yeah, I am an "Old Head" and proud of it.

Junior Poster

never seen the point of rap music.
    mind i did like salt and pepa

LIVE AND LET LIVE.
    BE POSITIVE.REMEMBER MUCH EASIER TO BE NEGATIVE.

Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by andyuk
    never seen the point of rap music.
    mind i did like salt and pepa

You English partna.

Go drink some tea.....

This ain't for you.

ummmmm what? sorry. Shes keeping me occupied.

good? yes
    top 5, dunno

maybe i like the old school stuff more
    1 Tupac (although as I think Hollywood said most of his success came after he got killed)
    2 Nas/jayz (too close to call, but Jay may get the edge with longevity)
    4) Biggie Small (greatest story ever)
    5) KRS-one (homer pick i know)
    6) Run DMC
    7) Dr Dre (he carried NWA both lyrically and producing)
    Eminem (maybe shoul dbe higher, but hes disappeared so hes lost a few slots)
    9) Snoop dogg (although hes recent stuff is more pop than rap, he killed the east coast rap scene for a long time)
    10) Wu tang (yes all of them. yes ALL of them)

blckhaze- A quickie in the back of a carriage going around Central park south

RubyTS- been there done that :P

Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by blckhaze
    good? yes
    top 5, dunno

maybe i like the old school stuff more
    1 Tupac (although as I think Hollywood said most of his success came after he got killed)
    2 Nas/jayz (too close to call, but Jay may get the edge with longevity)
    4) Biggie Small (greatest story ever)
    5) KRS-one (homer pick i know)
    6) Run DMC
    7) Dr Dre (he carried NWA both lyrically and producing)
    Eminem (maybe shoul dbe higher, but hes disappeared so hes lost a few slots)
    9) Snoop dogg (although hes recent stuff is more pop than rap, he killed the east coast rap scene for a long time)
    10) Wu tang (yes all of them. yes ALL of them)

Ok..

I think I really see the problem here........the disconnect.

Apparently, as we all know the story, when West Coast Hip Hop was tryin to pave its way, East Coast heads were doin there damnest, perhaps unintentionally......perhaps not though, to avoid West coast hip hop. BlackHaze, your comment here is a testament to what I'm saying.

Everybody and they momma knows, Dre was in charge of most of NWA's music......the MUSIC.

Ice cube carried the burden of most of the lyrics.

I know you must be a hip hop head of some sort.....but apparently not of West Coast hip hop because that's very basic. And I'm not tryin to clown...I'm sayin whats crackin, and why the first few dudes weren't feelin what I'm sayin (because of east coast time time).

To everyone else, this is why there was and East vs. West in the mid 90's.

I now stand even stronger on my original sentiment:

ICE CUBE IS THE TOP 5 GREATEST RAPPERS OF ALL TIME........PERIOD.

Junior Poster

Dr. Dre shouldn't be on the top 10 list for rapping. Dre didn't write his own rhymes. Top 5 for producing no doubt. But rapping, no way! His ghostwriters include D.O.C., Ice Cube, Eminem, Jay-Z, and Royce da 5'9". Superior lyricists held him down. The Chronic was basically a compilation, what song did he stand alone or out shine his guests.

Cube should be considered for Top 5 for his first four albums. However deciding this is truly opinion based.

Other candidates for this honor include: Big Daddy Kane, Chuck D, KRS-One, Rakim, Kool G Rap, Nas, 2Pac, Biggie, Scarface

You need to measure skill, influence, and output (quality of albums overall)
    All my aforementioned candidates have been no slouches. My first four are undeniable.

Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMaster
    Dr. Dre shouldn't be on the top 10 list for rapping. Dre didn't write his own rhymes. Top 5 for producing no doubt. But rapping, no way! His ghostwriters include D.O.C., Ice Cube, Eminem, Jay-Z, and Royce da 5'9". Superior lyricists held him down. The Chronic was basically a compilation, what song did he stand alone or out shine his guests.

Cube should be considered for Top 5 for his first four albums. However deciding this is truly opinion based.

Other candidates for this honor include: Big Daddy Kane, Chuck D, KRS-One, Rakim, Kool G Rap, Nas, 2Pac, Biggie, Scarface

All my aforementioned candidates have been no slouches. My first four are undeniable.

You sir have my sincere respect.

real talk.

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMaster

I do agree about Scarface, the man is very underrated...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=L0Vk0EL-r8g
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=IbQEI4Wt70w
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=AGUhu5BUOKg

Al: First thing they teach you when you're a rookie shoe salesman is when you get a fat one in the chair, never look up. I looked up, Peg! I saw underwear! It said "Saturday!"
    Peggy: So?
    Al: Today's Wednesday!

Professional Poster

Look, i'm the last person in the world to say "it was better back then..." but seriously, what has happened to the new visionaries? It's like the only ones with original mind-blowing ideas came out in the 80s and 90s.

I mean, i'm not claiming to be an expert here, but I keep on hearing new things and the quality keeps on going lower and lower by every new name that comes out. I mean, lyrics from guys like MIMS and Soulja Boy could be written by a five year old!

Someone tell me that i'm wrong, because hip-hop will die a slow death without talented new kids surfacing...

Silver Poster

And interestingly ShadowMaster, who's from the south, who, some of which, patterned their style from West Coast style, he knows what East Coasters do not....the basics of West.

I'm just sayin......

Even to this day, East coast heads continue to disprespect West Coast based rap.

It is interesting, if nothing else.