Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

We don’t have much to disagree about, Legend, but as an exercise for myself I thought I’d try to answer your question,
    Why would you regret that he has to denouced a hateful person like wright.
    Having listened to the NAACP speech and the Bill Moyer’s interview, it seems to me that Wright is not a hateful figure, but a tragic figure. You have to remember he is a man of the sixties. He has seen the trials of segregation and the struggle against first hand. He evolved a theologico-politico (I’m coining words here)world-view that grew from that context. His church and his life projects are born of that theology, entwined with it. Many of the tribulations that he fought against for a lifetime still plague the impoverished residents of Chicago. His anger is real and I think justified. Do not mistake anger for hatred. Never-the-less, Wright has lived with these problems for so long that he has become obsessed with his anger. His anger has twisted his logic and blurred his political vision. To have done what he has done with his life. To have been a Marine, joined the Navy to become a pulmonary technician, gone home and grow a church in Chicago that has done and is still doing so much good. To have done all that is something to be admired. To have fallen in the end, trapped by his own ego and anger, I think is tragic. Oh he’s not Prince Hamlet. And he definitely shouldn’t advise the Prince. But he’s no easy tool; and certainly not deferential (okay enough literary allusions, I’ll stop).

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Junior Poster

The rev Wright is a piece of shit, he is as racist and a trouble maker. He is a black David Duke. your all nuts . Yes we are ready for a black president but Obama is not the one, he is an Abomination. You fools that believe the bullshit that the government made up aids just to kill blacks and George Bush blew up the towers ect ect ect are all FUCKING MINDLESS FOOLS. Obama is a sweet talker and bullshit artist. If a white guy said 1/10 shit the rev Wright has said , there would be uproars.Obama has partied & made close friends with terrorist , sided with scum of the earth like the rev Wright and was raised by whites. He is a joke, I cant believe you fools think he would make a good leader, your all fucked in the head.

NO Wright is not a racist, calling italians garlic noses isnt race hating, just like calling blacks niggers isnt race hating..NOT! Get real your an idiot too

Quote Originally Posted by Hostile
    The rev Wright is a piece of shit, he is as racist and a trouble maker. He is a black David Duke. your all nuts . Yes we are ready for a black president but Obama is not the one, he is an Abomination. You fools that believe the bullshit that the government made up aids just to kill blacks and George Bush blew up the towers ect ect ect are all FUCKING MINDLESS FOOLS. Obama is a sweet talker and bullshit artist. If a white guy said 1/10 shit the rev Wright has said , there would be uproars.Obama has partied & made close friends with terrorist , sided with scum of the earth like the rev Wright and was raised by whites. He is a joke, I cant believe you fools think he would make a good leader, your all fucked in the head.

NO Wright is not a racist, calling italians garlic noses isnt race hating, just like calling blacks niggers isnt race hating..NOT! Get real your an idiot too
    Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

Gold Poster

Let me see if I have this right? There is a war going on, with the country deeper in debt and lower in standing due to that colossal fuck-up; the economy is in the hole; gas prices are through the roof; people are losing their homes(Wall Street got a hand out, though) due to the mortgage crisis; tens of millions of Americans are still without healthcare; cuts are being made to education -- EDUCATION -- here in California, and on and on and on. With all those problems on our plate, most of you are consumed by what a reverend said? A reverend who has had much of what he said taken out of context, and whose friendships and congregation also include whites? I'm curious: Just how many of you jumping on the anti-Wright bus have ever even been to an African-American church, or familiar with Black Liberation theology? How many of you are forming your views on Wright based on more than 10 second sound bites? How many of you have bonded with a person, only to have that relationship come apart after that person unraveled in ways that harmed you and that you could not foresee? See a pattern?
    Yes, Wright said some things that I don't agree with (AIDS conspiracy, etc), but since when is criticizing one's country equated with hating one's country? How is being on the receiving end of an American missile in Iraq not inflicting terror? What part of the Tuskegee experiment wasn't true? Show me that "hate", and if it is hate, how, for example, is that "hate" anything equal to what Conservative talk radio dispenses everyday in their collective defense of this odious, incompetent administration? I find it completely disconcerting, if not appalling, that in a country founded on dissent, is constantly redefining what dissent is permitted or by whom. Hatred? Do any of you applying the hypocritical, simplistic Bill O'Reilly/Legend shortcut line of reasoning and viewing of the world to this matter also apply this thought process to the niece you just chastised for playing in the street? Was that founded on hatred, or is that a different thing?
    Finally, how many of you who are criticizing the reverend, or Obama, are posting threads on the Bush connection to the oil industry/concerns(the Saudi family is one) giving the price we are paying at the pump right now? Isn't that more pressing? How many of you are equally examining John McCain's controversial endorsements, if not his numerous flip-flops, gaffes, and dishonesty?

... One more thing: We, the United States, actually killed more Japanese through all the carpet bombing administered right before we dropped the bomb. The a-bomb was just an exclamation point as was Dresden. One thing you also won't find on many high school history books, is why the Japanese attacked this country ... oh, yeah, they "hated" us.

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious ... He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed ... Albert Einstein

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Hostile

No, no, no. You're a joke. YOU'RE A JOKE.

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious ... He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed ... Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Wright
    – September 2001: “We bombed Hiroshima. We bombed Nagasaki. And we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon and we never batted an eye.”
    Quote Originally Posted by dc_guy_75
    After an intense war with the Axis powers, it wasn't in US's best interest to sacrifice American soldiers.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki forced a surrender at relatively little cost. A land invasion would've resulted in more causalities.

The Rape of Nanking in reverse..
    Never batted, and apparently still not batting, an eye,
    and turning a blind one to the fact that we are the only nation to ever use nuclear weapons, and we did so on a first strike basis against civilian targets.

If that isn't a damnable thing for a country to do, I don't know what is.

FK

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Very well reasoned, Hostile. Let me see if I got the gist of it: Obama is an abomination because he had a friend who expounds worn out conspiracy theories.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Junior Poster

Go live over seas, your all fucking pathetic, they bombed us first Pearl Harbor , innocent people too. Lol Obama is on TV right now saying the rev "Wright is wrong and his rants are none truths" thats an exact quote. If your going to Quote Wright how about the government making up aids to kill blacks? what about that the evil white people, what about that shit. Your all bleeding hearts, you should live somewhere else and watch how fast your sorry asses come running back.

Rev Wright says "the white government released aids in the black community " and how about "god damn the usa" .how about that, Obama's people are begging Wright to shut up

Gold Poster

For dumbfucks such as Hostile, watch the MORON on this video stumble and spin to no end. Pay particular attention to what he says at 1:17. That should bother everyone here, particularly how many Americans have been killed this month, not to mention Iraqis, a lot more than what a reverend with very little influence has to say.

Priorities, Gracie?

Junior Poster

Girl what does that have to do with Obama looking pale white in the faceand almost shuddering 10 mins ago on tv saying the rev Wright is ranting untrue lies , Obama's people are trying desperately hard to Shut the good rev up.

And Mr.Trick Realgirls4me , I have someone in my family who died in this war , you know nothing about shit, fucking pussy.