Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish
    Quote Originally Posted by Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa87
    (CNN) -- Sen. Barack Obama said he is "outraged" by comments his former minister, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright,
    made Monday at the National Press Club and is "saddened by the spectacle."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/04/...ght/index.html
    He should have said that at first when wright was bought into the media,he is really started to sound like hillary a typical politician,saying things that he thinks people want to hear.
    Actually, I rather admired Obama's first comments on Wright a month ago. I didn't think it was at all a typical politician's response. It would have been more politic to distance himself immediately. But Obama personalized the moment and showed himself to be big enough to span the supposed divide between Wright's world and the world of the 21st century. Unfortunately Wright is just too far behind the times; too wrapped up in his own exposure; too enamoured of his own causes to see the bigger picture and the proper course of action. Even though I'm not religious, I personally regret that Obama is forced to renounce the reverend. Many of the things he holds, though inflamatory, are true. We did afterall nuke Japan and didn't bat an eye. We did and do support state sponsered torture, depending on the state. But Wright, like thx, is also a bit of a conspiracy lunatic. Now there's nothing wrong, thx, with being a conspiracy lunatic...unless you're a black preacher of a major Chicago church and pastor to a favored candidate for the presidency of the U.S.
    I agree it wasn't the typical politicians respond but you have to admit it hurt him that he didn't flat out denounced him,it might made him look different but it hurt him with some voters.Why would you regret that he has to denouced a hateful person like wright,i don't care if he is like family he preaches nothing but hate if anyone in my family preached hate i wouldn't have a problem distancing myself from them.

Wright is nothing more then a nutcase trying to make money off the situation and could care less about obama,wright has to pay for his multi-million dollar house that is far,far away from the poor people his speeches are targeted at some kind of way

Senior Member Veteran Poster

References to the nuking of Japan are bothersome.

Verses what? A ground invasion would've cost many, many more civilian Japanese and American lives.

Its awful it happened, but the alternative was much worse.

Look Marge, I'm reading The Economist, did you know Indonesia is at a crossroads?

Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by ottorocket
    Just so we're clear on what Rev "The United States of KKK" Wright has been quoted as saying.

– September 2001: “The government lied about inventing the HIV virus as a means of genocide against people of color. The government lied.”

– September 2001: “We bombed Hiroshima. We bombed Nagasaki. And we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon and we never batted an eye.”

– September 2001: “We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians and black South Africans, and now we are indignant because of stuff we have done overseas is now brought back into our own backyard. America is chickens coming home to roost.”

– April 2003: “The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes three-strike laws and wants them to sing God Bless America. No! No No! God **** America … for killing innocent people. God **** America for threatening citizens as less than humans. God **** America as long as she tries to act like she is God and supreme.”

– December 2007: “Barack knows what it means living in a country and a culture that is controlled by rich, white people. Hillary would never know that.”

– December 2007: “Hillary ain’t never been called a n***8r. Hillary has never had a people defined as a non-person.”

– Jan. 13, 2008: “Hillary is married to Bill, and Bill has been good to us. No he ain’t! Bill did us, just like he did Monica Lewinsky. He was riding dirty.”

– “Fact number one: We’ve got more black men in prison than there are in college. … Fact number two: Racism is how this country was founded and how this country is still run.”

– “We are deeply involved in the importing of drugs, the exporting of guns and the training of professional killers. … We believe in white supremacy and black inferiority and believe it more than we believe in God. … We conducted radiation experiments on our own people. … We care nothing about human life if the ends justify the means.
    And … And … And! God! Has got! To be sick! Of this sh*t!”
    And what part of these statements isn't true?

"References to the nuking of Japan are bothersome"

Not nearly as bothersome as being on the receiving end of those nukes. We didn't nuke Germany, why is that?

Rookie Poster

"Not nearly as bothersome as being on the receiving end of those nukes. We didn't nuke Germany, why is that?"

Germany surrendered before an atomic bomb could be deployed.

I doubt the US would've had any qualms nuking Berlin, they'd do it in a heartbeat.

Look Marge, I'm reading The Economist, did you know Indonesia is at a crossroads?

Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by dc_guy_75
    "Not nearly as bothersome as being on the receiving end of those nukes. We didn't nuke Germany, why is that?"

Germany surrendered before the atomic bomb was invented.
    Ok, so why the overkill of not one but TWO cities. Easy, because to the anglo american the Japanese was considered less than human. Sacrificing our soldiers in a war they are trained and prepared to fight is worse than sacrificing the innocent civilians in these cities in our book. Brilliant justification.

Quote Originally Posted by solsoul

Ok, so why the overkill of not one but TWO cities. Easy, because to the anglo american the Japanese was considered less than human. Sacrificing our soldiers in a war they are trained and prepared to fight is worse than sacrificing the innocent civilians in these cities in our book. Brilliant justification.
    Did you sleep during school? The Japanese refused to surrender after the first bomb.

After an intense war with the Axis powers, it wasn't in US's best interest to sacrifice American soldiers.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki forced a surrender at relatively little cost. A land invasion would've resulted in more causalities.

The Rape of Nanking in reverse..

Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by underdog6

Did you sleep during school? The Japanese refused to surrender after the first bomb.
    I don't trust everything I read in a high school history primer. According to those texts, the pilgrims brought a bounty from Europe that saved the native americans from starvation and Africans had no discernible language or culture until the gracious white man brought his guns and bibles.

The point is that Rev. Wright's views don't make him any less American. In fact, they make him more American, for we are supposedly built on a tradition of challenging authority when it proves to be tyrannous. In fact, to walk lockstep with the decisions of a government that is supposed to be for the people but trounces on the rights of those people the government finds inconvenient is spineless, blind jingosim that does nothing to strengthen our country.

Also, its a mistake to take everything Wright says as something Obama internalizes. If you want to know Obama's take on racial politics in America, he has written two books, I am sure your local library has a copy by now.

The point is that Rev. Wright's views don't make him any less American. In fact, they make him more American, for we are supposedly built on a tradition of challenging authority when it proves to be tyrannous...
    I couldn't agree more, the Bush administration has become as close to "tyrannous" as we've seen in a long time.

My issue is with Wright is that he's speaking to a low common denominator... wallowing in conspiracy, paranoia, ignorance. He can join Sharpton/Farrakhan/later Jesse Jackson in the realm of corrupt preachers.