Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112
    Junior Poster

CORVETTEDUDE WROTE:
    I have found over the years, that the person talking the loudest about racism, is the biggest racist in the crowd.
    YES finally a voice of reason thats most dead on statement said.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

I've found that those who claim America has no social problems (and especially those who are quick to invite their adversaries to leave) are the ones who are relatively comfortable but not the most comfortable. They are the ones who have many but not all of usual advantages that middle class Americans enjoy but suffer very few, if any, really debilitating disadvantages. They are the ones who think their comfort is tenuous and are fearful of leveling the playing field. DON'T BE AFRAID. A fair playing field will advantage everyone.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Rookie Poster

Default Racism

My thanks to Hostile and CORVETTEDUDE...

You have been so eloquent on the topic of racism--not an easy thing to do! Thanks for simplifying things.

I feel bad for Barack, since he's being targeted on a subject where no one can win the debate. It's just too charged.

As for this silly "who is the most racist" question goes? Well, there are just too many candidates: Cambodia in the 1970s, Germany in the 1930s and '40s, China under Mao... But the 20 million Ukranians who were murdered by Joseph Stalin is probably in the Guinness Book of World Records for Worst Atrocity of the 20th Century.

Yes, the USA has problems. But at least we haven't seen genocide like this.

(At least, not since the founding of the USA: I am not counting the horrors prepetrated by Europeans--mostly Spanish and Catholic--during the 15th and 16th centuries. It's just too much to get into.)
    [/list]

Veteran Poster

Spanish AND Catholic? what are the odds?!

Professional Poster

thank you trish...and remember boys liberality and compassion are two of the great christian seven virtues opposin'the seven deadly sins.....

Quote Originally Posted by trish
    Actually, I rather admired Obama's first comments on Wright a month ago. I didn't think it was at all a typical politician's response. It would have been more politic to distance himself immediately. But Obama personalized the moment and showed himself to be big enough to span the supposed divide between Wright's world and the world of the 21st century. Unfortunately Wright is just too far behind the times; too wrapped up in his own exposure; too enamoured of his own causes to see the bigger picture and the proper course of action. Even though I'm not religious, I personally regret that Obama is forced to renounce the reverend. Many of the things he holds, though inflamatory, are true. We did afterall nuke Japan and didn't bat an eye. We did and do support state sponsered torture, depending on the state. But Wright, like thx, is also a bit of a conspiracy lunatic. Now there's nothing wrong, thx, with being a conspiracy lunatic...unless you're a black preacher of a major Chicago church and pastor to a favored candidate for the presidency of the U.S.
    I hate to hijack this thread, but I have discovered something interesting about Rev Wright. A person, who saw his Friday night appearance on Bill Moyer’s show and some of his subsequent appearance describe him as being like two different people. His later physical appearance was even different, some disheveled almost like he had been drinking. This was confirmed by a news report that I read.

Put this together with the fact that he has recently retired. A prominent minister’s son from my city has taken over his congregation. I have seen nothing on the fact of why he retired. This is only speculation, but is it because he is losing it? I have had personal experience in my own church with a minister, who seemed to lose some mental skills along with health issues that made her retire after over twenty years. Could this be the case with Rev Wright after 40 plus years in the pulpit? It is actually the theory that Trish has already put forward about him. That would put into context the accomplishments he has achieved and skills that have made him a success, but now his current behavior is called into question. Obama’s recent statement was, “Apparently I did not know him as well as I thought.” The sermons that people are quoting and attacking came after 30 plus years as a pastor. And that came after other successful careers.

So Hostile might have a point to not take him so seriously. However, I feel that Hostile is wrong to dismiss his entire life and his entire message. To just label Rev Wright as a fool or buffoon, does just that. And maybe that is why he is defending his most outrageous statements like his life depended on them, rather than recognize political reality. I say that Rev Wright has spoken some very true things, as well things that are ‘far fetched’.
    His true statements have highlighted a side of reality that many people chose to ignore. However the ‘many people's’ reality is real too. For example decisions made in wartime like using the atomic bomb in Japan were very tough decisions to make. Reality usually has more than one side and this debate here reflects it.

Like many here, I am sometime critical of actions taken by our government on behalf of the people. For example, the US has assisted in killing of foreign leaders or assisting in the overthrow of legally elected governments that we were not at war with. My point is that those who criticize certain actions of our government are in fact attempting to practice the first sentence in the Preamble to our Constitution: “We the people, in order form a more perfect union…”

Junior Poster

so much whining from "minorities" it's a joke. Minorities are given better opportunities in this country than "white" people are these days. Racism is more prevelant in minorites, for those of you who don't know what that means MORE MINORITIES are racist in this country than white people. Lots of black people will agree with that including your precious Barack Obama. This is the first country in the world to elect a black president, WHITE PEOPLE ELECTED HIM NOT MINORITIES! Do you guys have any idea of what the Jews wen't through and how many years they were in slavery and still are today? Have you heard of the holocaust? Or do you all only read about conspiracies and things on internet sites with absolutely no facts or reputation.

More cops on the street is to put more minorities in jail? What are you on crack? If you aren't doing anything wrong you don't go to jail, simple as that. Don't blame the cops and white people because your on the corner selling crack, you make your own decisions. What do you want the government to take over the job as your daddy because he wasn't man enough to stick around and raise you like the white man raised his kid? I'm not trying to go racial, I'm not racist at all. I will put any dumbass in his/her place whenever needed though.

The governments not your daddy, if you grew up with no father and now are some ruthless badass, well tough luck your going to jail. It happens to whites too except we usually have more guidance because our fathers stick around. Give me a break with this black white bullshit, how much spoonfeeding do you people need. Barack Obama is the president what do you have to say about that? Did the homies in prison elect him? No, it was white people. Maybe that's why no one has said anything since he was elected. More minorities are racist than whites these days, open your eyes and ears. Smarten up and stand on your own 2 feet.

On a semi-racial note, but a real note..
    Be happy that these white people even let you blacks and mexicans in this country(SINCE THEY'RE SOOO RACIST) Why don't you go to Africa and Mexico? Yea. I thought so.