Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Veteran Poster

LCDs use less electricity. For some that is an important consideration given the high profile of global warming and carbon footprints.

Regards from The Combat Wombat

Eats roots, shoots and leaves.

I've got to agree with everyone else, for the size & price range you want, I'd go LCD.

Junior Poster

LCD all the way. no screen burn in on LCD while depending on what brand plasma you get screen burn in can still be an issue. I also started off thinking 42" max, but ended up with a 47" and glad I did. Think of viewing distance. here's a nice little rule of thumb to go by
    Screen
    size Viewing
    distance range
    30" 3.75-6.25 feet
    34" 4.25-7 feet
    42" 5.25-8.75 feet
    50" 6.25-10.5 feet
    56" 7-11.75 feet
    62" 7.75-13 feet
    70" 8.75-14.75 feet

Without a doubt the best tv's out are LCDs. For sports, television and video games LCDs own the competition. Plasmas have the slight edge when it comes to watching movies because of their deep blacks.

I studied up on tv's for a year before I made my purchases. I went with 3 XBR Sony Bravias. The best TV on the market (XBR4 or 5). I got the 52, 46, and 40 .Believe it or not the 40 has the best picture I have ever seen. If your looking for a great bang for your buck buy, go with the Vizio series. Great tv's at a reasonable price. Check out avsforum.com all the info you will ever need is on those message boards.

To sum it up, if all you want to do is watch movies buy a plasma. If you want a tv for sports, tv and video games and of course movies....go with a LCD. I'll put a top of the line LCD (Sony, Sammie, Aquios) up any day against the top of the line plasma and the LCD will come out on top. I spent way to much time and money between the two...LCDs are better tvs than plasmas, nuff said. I wouldn't even consider a DLP. Have fun watching a DLP or Plasma if your NOT sitting directly in front of it too.

Rookie Poster

wait to around super bowl time to buy any tv i spent 1400 on my tv and saw drop by 200 hundred dollars. I love my 40 inch Lcd Samsung for video games and movies but for sports games theres a little motion blur but the pic still looks great. The best three to buy are Samsung Toshiba Sony.

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

I'm thinking about getting a 32" Sony XBR5 LCD. I've been told by a friend of mine who sells TVs it's a good choice. I just have to wait a few months so I can be eligible for his employee discount. It's for the bedroom so 32" will be just fine.

The best three to buy are Samsung Toshiba Sony.[/quote] No, Sony, Sammie and Sharp are the best. Like he said, superbowl weekend is always a good time. It's also hard to beat best buys 3 years no interest when they have that going.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Velvet
    I'm thinking about getting a 32" Sony XBR5 LCD. I've been told by a friend of mine who sells TVs it's a good choice. I just have to wait a few months so I can be eligible for his employee discount. It's for the bedroom so 32" will be just fine.
    They dont make a 32 inch XBR5.

Rookie Poster

When I went shopping for a big screen, the "sales" guy at Costco sold me on the LCD because it does not show any reflections of anything that might be in your room. I believe the plasma does show reflections.
    You have to take into consideration on how big the room is for the size of the tv you want to buy (post by will802)
    The top 40''to 42'' LCD tvs according to Consumer Reports are the Samsung and Sony (post by ziggy33)
    You might want to go to the public library and look through the Consumer Reports magazines. I believe they had an issue not to long ago about plasma and LCD and there differences.
    I ended up buying the Vizio 47''. I thought the Sony bravia 42'' had a better picture quality, but it cost a little more.
    You might want to check out the websites of Costco, Sams Club, Best Buy, Circuit City and even Sears for sales. Be careful because some of the websites still sell the 720p technology for a lower price

Silver Poster

I accidentally bought a 47 in 1080P LCD....don't ask.
    I don't think some times.
    Ok...here is the gig. The latest 1080P's are amazing. Just as bright as plazma, have the same level of contrast and with the latest equipment fix all the high speed issues.
    Just remember the wire will set you back about $100 and the equipment to hang it on the wall will set you back another $200.
    And yes it looks so much better when you hang it.

"How you doin!"