Gold Poster

Default Give Us Your 411 on a Historical Figure or Icon ...

(Let's see if this will help jump start this moribund board?...It will probably sink like a rock)

Okay, with respect to Hara, who is much more polished at this than I am, what little bit of factual trivia can you offer here about some current or past historical figure or icon (Doesn't have to be a person. A company?) which piqued you in some way? Make it interesting; something that other posters might also find interesting or amusing. Yes, we all know Michelle Pfeiffer once worked at Vons as a cashier, and that Harrison Ford was once a carpenter, so try to go a little more historical or significant than that, okay? You can tell us that Del Taco was started in Barstow (verify it if you do) by a couple of German decent, but somehow I don't think many will find that very interesting. ...I'll start!

Not until I read a book on him about ten years ago did I come to find out that Albert Einstein was quite the accomplished sailor. Many who knew him back then said that sailing -- which he took up in the old country -- was his favorite form of recreation, outside of possibly playing the violin. Many also posit that sailing in his tiny boat 15' boat, "Tinef", provided the perfect serene setting for him to develop many of his theories without any noise or interruption.It was the perfect escape. ...What's almost as equally interesting is that he didn't know how to swim.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mariner_einstein_499.gif 
Views:	134 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	173392   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	040426_einstein_vmed_11awidec_106.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	173393   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ae_tuemmler2_701.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	173394  

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious ... He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed ... Albert Einstein

Gold Poster

You guys NEVER had some high school history teacher or some college prof, etc, hit you with some factoid or trivia that made you raise an eyebrow? Never found out something on your own?

You guys are lame.

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious ... He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed ... Albert Einstein

Banned again for being a jizzmop, oh well! Gold Poster

I know Tom Waits lived for awhile in a flop hotel that I use to walk by everyday on my way to work. He wrote the song "9th & Hennepin" about it.

Interestingly enough, just before the place got torn down, a film crew was shooting a scene for the movie "Factotum" there. I walked by as they were shooting one night, fairly drunk after leaving a strip club, and annoyed the PA's by talking too loudly and flirting with girls. The movie sucked, anyways.

Good times.