Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I love

In the hearts of the kind, and in the fears of the wicked.

Quote Originally Posted by BrassVillanueva
    I'm a Christian, and despite what seemingly most who claim to share my faith apparently believe, that doesn't affect my view on sexuality. It's my belief that the issues Christians seem to get hung up on are based on a few biblical references that were, when written, specifically warnings against same-sex activity simply because it was unsafe at the time. Think about it: today we have the greatest depth of knowledge about diseases society has ever had to date and we have the technology to, if not cure them outright, treat them. In the times the Bible was written, we didn't. Same about eating "clean" and "unclean" animal meat.

As for all the horrible things done in the name of religion, that's why I don't refer to what I believe in as a religion. Religion is a mix of faith and rules based on that faith, rightly or wrongly so. In my learning over the years, I've come to the conclusion that religion always fails. Rules are made, proven to be either completely wrong or entirely unenforceable, and ultimately the religion falls apart. Eventually, only the faith will remain. Many faiths have gone through that process, and in many cases (many sects of Christianity included) they're still going through it.

My faith is simply that: my faith. What I believe in guides my actions, but aside from the basic tenets of my faith (in which I find no excuses for hatred on any basis other than the hatred of sin, NOT sinners), I don't follow any strict set of rules. Christianity is not about rules and regulations, it's about faith and following Christ. Is doing what's right in God's eyes up for interpretation? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean I can't love my brother despite that I disagree with him.

Great thread, Kelly!
    Well stated.

Having said that, I tend to adopt a 'cafeteria' approach to religion as I have studied and belonged to a number. I tend to take the best from each and leave the dogma and rhetoric that do not meet my needs behind.

I am also not a fan of those that proselytize or try to shove 'their' religions down 'your' throats. Nor do I agree with those that feel that their deity or God is bigger or better than your God, or that they are the only chosen ones.

Finally, I can understand people that have no belief in a deity, ie. are atheist. Or those that one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god, ie. agnostic.

And though I will readily admit to having firm and strong beliefs in the God of my understanding, I do tend to have secular humanist leanings as well:

Tenets

Secular humanism describes a world view with the following elements and principles:

Need to test beliefs - A conviction that dogmas, ideologies and traditions, whether religious, political or social, must be weighed and tested by each individual and not simply accepted on faith.

Reason, evidence, scientific method - Commitment to the use of critical reason, factual evidence, and scientific methods of inquiry, rather than faith and mysticism, in seeking solutions to human problems and answers to important human questions.

Fulfillment, growth, creativity - A primary concern with fulfillment, growth, and creativity for both the individual and humankind in general.

Search for truth - A constant search for objective truth, with the understanding that new knowledge and experience constantly alter our imperfect perception of it.

This life - A concern for this life and a commitment to making it meaningful through better understanding of ourselves, our history, our intellectual and artistic achievements, and the outlooks of those who differ from us.

Ethics - A search for viable individual, social and political principles of ethical conduct, judging them on their ability to enhance human well-being and individual responsibility.

Building a better world - A conviction that with reason, an open exchange of ideas, good will, and tolerance, progress can be made in building a better world for ourselves and our children.

Rookie Poster

I respect religious people as long as they respect that i am not. Im atheist, no god, no devil.

Veteran Poster

Why, when people start getting all religion-y, do they start using 'thee's' and 'thou's'?

I thought christians had stopped using the AV.

Junior Poster

atheist
    i find it hard to believe that in the year 2008 people still believe in these fairy tails

Fairy tales, so right. Where's the Logic people?

Faith? What logical person lives their life on faith?

To each their own...

Quote Originally Posted by nevada64
    Fairy tales, so right. Where's the Logic people?

Faith? What logical person lives their life on faith?

To each their own...
    Almost every person lives their life on faith and hope. We have faith that when we walk out our door it wont be our last. We have faith in our relationships. We have faith in so many things. So really dear, it's fine you don't believe in faith, but why hate on others that do.

I didn't make this thread for this. I made it to get different opinions.

My official Adult Blog

http://www.kellypierceblog.com

My Official Blog for my TS Sisters

http://www.secretkelly.com

My official Cam Site

http://www.kellysdreamhouse.com

I apologize if I sound hateful. That isn't my intention.

Just like you can't understand an atheist, I don't understand a religious person.

Hence, different opinion...

Junior Poster

religious people are really lost yet no more lost then those that think global warming is for real and man made ! one world government is on the prowl and only the religious can stop them , lol

Thank you, Peggy, and as usual, you've knocked the ball out of the park with your response!

On the atheism topic, I've found it takes more faith to believe there is no god than it takes to believe there IS a god. In my opinion, there really is no such thing as not having faith; one who claims to not have faith simply has faith that there's no higher power to have faith in.

Inventor of the Zapata Tube.

Junior Poster

Waring:
    My openion might offend religious people. If you are one of them... do not read this.

To paraphrase Marx:Religion is not the disease, but merely a symptom. It is used by oppressors to make people feel better about the distress they experience due to being poor and exploited.

I do not see anything positive coming from Religion.. you can find a moral compass in a fiction book as easily as you can in the Bible, Torah, or Koran (I am not familiar with other religious books, so I will not comment on them).
    One of the arguments put forth for religion is that we would all be selfish and only think of ourselves if we had no religion. This basically means that unless we are threatened with eternal damnation we would all be bad people? I think this tells you more about the religious person making this statement than anything else. I consider myself moral...I do not cheat on my partner, I do not steal, I make it a point to treat others like I want to be treated... yet I am an atheist. My life has a meaning and a purpose even without religion. Yes an atheist.. and no... even in a foxhole I would still be an Atheist. Contrary to popular belief, there were actually quite a few people who were in foxhole and still remained atheist. The phrase is just catchy. Check out the following links about real atheists in foxholes:
    http://ffrf.org/foxholes/

http://www.atheistfoxholes.org/

It has been my personal experience, that most “truly devout” people are hardly moral and are inclined to impose their view on other by force if necessary. They have a problem with people that do not view things like them because it negates the meaning they give to their lives and the reasons they give themselves for enduring through the pain and suffering that happens to them. Put more simply.. if you do not believe what they believe.. then they are wasting their lives... most can't handle that idea.

Another problem I have with religion is that in most cases it excuses you from trying to make something of yourself. Such statements as: it's god's will, or god willing are, in m opinion simply rubbish. Take responsibility for your life and your actions and realize that some things are simply out of your control. There is no god with a plan for you. No greater happiness that will result from your current misery. If you don't like the way things are.. do something about it and stop just hoping that things will get better just by themselves. If you really do insist on praying.. at least row away from the rocks.

I also thing that we give too much deference to religion. Yet, we are all usually happy to make fun of the Greeks and Romans because they believed in some many crazy gods. The current three main monotheistic religions are just as full of silly stories and beliefs. Pandora's box?.. remind you of anything? Oh yeah Eve. People raising from the dead? I mean if I told you this just happened in my house... would you believe me? How about if I said I can walk on water? No? We all don't believe in most deities (Zeus anyone?) What makes the god of the Bible any more special than Apollo?

Still, if you are religious at least do not impose your views on others. I don't come knocking on your door on Sunday do I?

I have rambled enough.