Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Platinum Poster

CULT FRICTION

Some great stuff in April's issue of Radar magazine about the scientology cult and it's zombie zealots in Hollywood...very eye-opening and also a good read.

http://radaronline.com/from-the-maga..._cruise_01.php

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/20...y-birthday.php

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

I cannot for the life of me, figure what is the fascination with this religion. Before I knew of scientology, as a younger lad, I saw this guy L. Ron Hubbard wrote this 12 volume sci-fi series.

Wow, this will keep me occupied for some time! I began reading the first volume "Battlefield Earth" (the one they made the bomb movie about with John Travolta). At my young age loving everything Sci-fi, I got a quarter of the way thru the book, I threw it out. Never did that before.

I thought, this guy sucks as a writer! Mind you, this is years before I heard of scientology, or the movie was a gleam in anyones eyes.

This was the stupidest writing I'd ever seen. It was like reading a pre-schooler romantic novel. It was worse than a romantic novel. I challenge anyone to read this novel, cover to cover. If you can, you're a waterhead and need scientology.

Man, our race is retarded if we buy into his shit. The guy writes like a .... I don't know ... I never threw a book in the trash before that. It wasn't because of content.... it just sucked.

I need to start a religion. It cant' be this easy.

Professional Poster

I understand how the Ponzi Cult works. The lower levels of it comprise of both a sizable amount of networking ability (in terms of hollywood) and day-to-day organization of life for people who don't have their act together.

It's almost an ideal trap for people who are desperate for success and validation through hollywood fame. That's what drags people into it.

What bothers me most of it is not that a number of people are into it, or that it burns their money. What bothers me is the faux "science" surrounding it from their "e-meters" to their amateur take on psychology.

With the immense wealth funneled into it, given enough time, you're going to have a more powerful anti-(true) science force than the backwoods Middle America "Christians" currently have against evolution.

In an odd way, this makes me thankful so many Jewish people are in the media, since their ethnic and cultural heritage will never be part of that, and they'll never entirely take over the media (not that i'm one of those crazy people who believe they "control' the media, but many are involved).

But, in time, you're going to get a lot more of the Scientology BS proselytized all over the tube, and that's really going to become a problem, for the overall direction of humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by lupinIII
    All religions have their downfalls, Scientology I disagree with on its financial side, wherein it is basically a freakin' pyramid scheme. Also on its ideas about mental illness and psychiiatry where you have jackholes like Tom Cruise preach about how there is no such thing as bi-polar disorder or post-natal depression and that anyone who has a serious mental illness shouldn't be given any medication but 'counselling'. Not to mention their psuedo-scientific explanations on why all psychologists and psychiatrists are evil....
    I am not defending Scientology per say, I just want to point out that the belief that mental health issues can be treated through changing behavior and changing thought patterns with thought techniques, is a legitimate therapeutic approach. It is called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It can be used in conjunction with medication, but medication is viewed as only a short term solution.

Naturally, I do not believe that psychiatrists and psychologists are ‘evil’. But the belief that medications are overused in today’s society is shared by many, not just Scientologists and includes some schools of thought within psychology itself.

Veteran Poster

That's the thing though, as far as I can remember, Scientology's form of counselling doesn't have any basis on research but simply states facts about people's psyches which have no basis on any research, whether it be empirical or scientific. It's also known to deny many of the disorders that have been demonstrated psychologically, medically and pathologically.

It is true that medication is over-used but that doesn't mean that when it is necessary, wherein behavioural patterns are too disruptive (or destructive), it has no merit. It's an overtly biomedical way of looking at something as complex as mental illness where a myriad of different consequences can occur through one form of treatment, but I'd trust it further than the next religion that offers self-help based on God's (Allah's, Buddha's, Hubbard's, Shiva's, Allanah Starr's, Joe Strummer's) teachings.

I don't know if anyone has seen this but recently a whole bunch of Australian women have spoken out against Mercy Ministries, a community help center for young women who needed help with various psycho-social maladies such as eating disorders, substance abuse, clinical depression etc. wherein the in-patients are forced to sign away any financial welfare they recieve and the only help given is regular Bible scripture reading and interpretation, all friendship and peer support/counselling is forbidden, contact with the outside world is similarly forbidden and any breaking these rules results in expulsion from the program for these people who may have previously been in dire need of help and who now have no other recourses.

Mercy Ministries is operated in conjunction with the Hillsong churches which started out in the U.S. I believe and is also funded by Gloria Jean's coffee.

This example is a much more disturbing occurence than Scientology because of its closed covert nature, and the obvious corporate sponsorship, but it is still a similar occurence where our social systems are straining to provide support and the people who can't get the help they need from secular sources needs to seek alternate methods which may end up doing more harm than good.

What's Bruce Lee's favourite drink? Wataaahhhhh!!

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by yodajazz
    All religions have their downfalls, Scientology I disagree with on its financial side, wherein it is basically a freakin' pyramid scheme. Also on its ideas about mental illness and psychiiatry where you have jackholes like Tom Cruise preach about how there is no such thing as bi-polar disorder or post-natal depression and that anyone who has a serious mental illness shouldn't be given any medication but 'counselling'. Not to mention their psuedo-scientific explanations on why all psychologists and psychiatrists are evil....
    I am not defending Scientology per say, I just want to point out that the belief that mental health issues can be treated through changing behavior and changing thought patterns with thought techniques, is a legitimate therapeutic approach. It is called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It can be used in conjunction with medication, but medication is viewed as only a short term solution.

Naturally, I do not believe that psychiatrists and psychologists are ‘evil’. But the belief that medications are overused in today’s society is shared by many, not just Scientologists and includes some schools of thought within psychology itself.
    That would be fine if that was what they believe but they truly believe Xenu captured alien souls and those alien souls latch onto our human bodies, being the cause of our "mental issues".

They PRETEND to legitimatize it by using the "overprescription" issue, but they don't believe in that. They believe ANY prescription is "overprescription", regardless if the person truly, truly needs it or not (for the aforementioned reasons). People have died as a result of this "religious belief"

And i'm not saying that in some cases, natural solutions can overcome prescription, but it's not like they're doing some sort of scientific analysis of that. They honestly do not believe in psychology, at all, and believe our bodies are tormented by evil alien souls. And, that, is as factual as believing in santa claus and the tooth fairy.

It's too bad not a single person in the media has had the balls to call any single Scientologist on this faux "overprescription" argument they pretend to believe in...

Professional Poster

Scientology is a dangerous cult. Their personality test is designed to target those people who are easily maipulated.

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere
    That would be fine if that was what they believe but they truly believe Xenu captured alien souls and those alien souls latch onto our human bodies, being the cause of our "mental issues".

They PRETEND to legitimatize it by using the "overprescription" issue, but they don't believe in that. They believe ANY prescription is "overprescription", regardless if the person truly, truly needs it or not (for the aforementioned reasons). People have died as a result of this "religious belief"

And i'm not saying that in some cases, natural solutions can overcome prescription, but it's not like they're doing some sort of scientific analysis of that. They honestly do not believe in psychology, at all, and believe our bodies are tormented by evil alien souls. And, that, is as factual as believing in santa claus and the tooth fairy.

It's too bad not a single person in the media has had the balls to call any single Scientologist on this faux "overprescription" argument they pretend to believe in...
    Uhh, yeah, what he said, I think you put it a whole lot clearer and more succinctly.

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by alpha2117
    Scientology is a dangerous cult. Their personality test is designed to target those people who are easily maipulated.
    Very good, and Christianity is a dangerous religion because their sermons and scriptures are designed to target those people who are easily manipulated.

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by alpha2117
    Very good, and Christianity is a dangerous religion because their sermons and scriptures are designed to target those people who are easily manipulated.
    Arguably you are right but in any of the established religions cases they have the advantage of hundreds or thousands of years of history which means that you cant be 100% sure of the truth of anything it all comes down to faith. In Scientology's case a failing sci-fi writer who had previoulsy dabbled into satanism (according to his own son) came up with a scam - that this scam has grown into this dangeous cult that uses some very questionable methods is something that has occured in the last 1/2 century.

Has anyone wondered why they are so against Psychiatry? Could it be that they target weak individuals with mental problems and manipulate them?