Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran Poster

Default World view on the US

OK, well that's a pretty grandiose thread title - but got you reading didn't it! This is my view as a non-US citizen, however it's certainly a common theme in discussions about the US.

1. The US is the world's only super-power and has, in the past, been a bastion of moral right. Recently this moral right has been replaced by military might.

2. Following the demise of the USSR, the US was given a unique opportunity to act as a unifying influence for the benefit of all. Instead it has acted in narrow self-serving ways that isolated many other nations - including past allies.

3. The US electoral system is thoroughly confusing, but that's entirely a US issue to address. How someone can achieve over 50% of votes but not be elected still seems bizarre.

4. US Government policy is dictated by lobby groups, particularly oil companies, weapons manufacturers and the Jewish lobby. This has resulted in
    - Exxon achieving highest profits by any company is the history of the world (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/01/bu...-exxon.html?hp)
    - US is world biggest arms exporter (http://www.worldpolicy.org/projects/...WaW052505.html) and experiences high levels of violent crime
    - Israel receives 20% of US foreign aid (http://ksgnotes1.harvard.edu/Researc.../rwp/RWP06-011)

5. The unwillingness of the US Government to accept that climate change is, at least in part, caused by human action has frustrated and delayed global actions.

6. Everyone takes an interest in the US election. We believe that GWB has NOT made the world a safer place, indeed quite the opposite. We would welcome any change. Especially if it involved breaking the strong links with heavily funded lobby groups.

7. The major challenge facing the US is not from Iran or Russia or Iraq or any other external party. The major threat to the US if a continuing failure to engage in dialogue with other sovereign nations.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

7. The major challenge facing the US is not from Iran or Russia or Iraq or any other external party. The major threat to the US if a continuing failure to engage in dialogue with other sovereign nations.
    ' just thought that last point was worth repeating. Our refusal to engage in honest dialog not only threatens ourselves but it threatens the stability, the economy, the security, the ecology and the climate of the world.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Agree totally. But I have to ask you as a citizen of New Zealand why does your leadership help bush with his military ventures and genocidal policies on Muslim nations especially Palestinians and Iranians?

If I got a dime every time I read an ad with purloined photos I could retire right now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QjS0AbRpAo Andenzi, izimvo zakho ziyaba.

Veteran Poster

I can't be held accountable for New Zealand policy any more than I could hold you accountable for US policy.

But your question got me investigating. I think you'll find New Zealand policy on Palestine is pretty close to my own http://www.mfat.govt.nz/Foreign-Rela...l-conflict.php

New Zealand refused to participate in Iraq or, indeed, any other non-UN authorised action. NZ is a bid supporter of the United Nations. Generally speaking, for a country of 4 million we punch above our weight in supporting UN actions round the world, but always with an even hand (sorry for the mixed metaphor!). There is general support for this foreign policy approach across parties and within the community.

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish
    ' just thought that last point was worth repeating. Our refusal to engage in honest dialog not only threatens ourselves but it threatens the stability, the economy, the security, the ecology and the climate of the world.
    Thanks for amplifying my comments Trish. You're absolutely right. The challenge is global rather than limited to the US. Frictions between the US and United Nations during GWB administration sure hadn't helped anyone.

@tslvr: I'm not holding YOU accountable. What ever gave you that idea? Anyway I'm glad to see NZ is not actively supporting bush's wars. (unless through contractors)

If I got a dime every time I read an ad with purloined photos I could retire right now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QjS0AbRpAo Andenzi, izimvo zakho ziyaba.

I agree almost in toto. However you failed to mention the most powerful sinister lobby of them all, the Christian Right wing.

Veteran Poster

Looks like I finally discovered an explanation of the US electoral system - all becomes clear now

http://www.theonion.com/content/vide...dentally_leaks

5 Star Poster

All very good points. Too bad most Americans care more about who will be the next American Idol than about this kind of thing.

Junior Poster

Dear confused in new zealand
    1. please point out the periods in time when the United States was a 'bastion of moral right'. Nonsense. Prior to WWI the US had virtually ZERO interest in foreign affairs. Our foreign ventures have been decidedly military in nature. If not for our 'military might' you would not be here and your island would be a Japanese colony. If not for our military might Europe would be a war zone between Germany and the USSR.
    2. So you believe it is the responsibility of the US to serve as a uniting influence around the globe? Odd perspective. And of course, the US is the only nation that acts in its own interest.
    3. If you are so totally confused by the electoral sytem you could exercise one of two options....concentrate on less confusing issues, or attain US citizenship, get elected to Congress and initiate a Constitutional ammendment to change the system.
    4. US government is not dictated by lobby groups, that is liberal nonsense. The oil companies, the weapons manufacturers, the Jews, the African Americans, teachers, farmers, milk producers, the entertainment industry, liberals, conservatives, Christians, atheists, gay rights acitivists and dozens of other interests make an effort to influence government policy, that's the nature of the system. Quit whining about Exxon, park your frigging car and shut off your furnace and your air conditioner and DO somethiung about it beyond spewing from your pie hole. Exxon is the most profitable company in the world because they're the best at what they do, they provide a product for which Americans and increasingly all other modern societies demand without reservation and everyone who 'gives a damn' expresses that concern by running off at the mouth rather than doing something about it. Do you think the profit margin on a gallon of half-litre bottles of distilled water that libtards gladly pay $4 for is higher than the profit margin on a gallon of gas? Why aren't you whining about the bottled water lobby? So stfu.
    5. The American government is not a dictatorship.
    The government will do what the American people demand, and what the American people demand is SUVs with seating capacity for nine in which they drive solo 95% of the time, for McMansions with 1500 square feet of conditioned air per resident that are kept at 75 degrees in the winter and 70 degrees in the summer. Increasingly, the rest of the world's population demands the same.
    6. As far as GWB is concerned, sure, he's useless. So are Hillary and Obama and John and the rest of the candidates, because the American people don't demand useful candidates. This is not true in most of the rest of the 'civilized' world? It is not the US President's job to make the world a safer place, his/her job is to make America a safer place.
    7. It is an infantile position to state that America's threats are not Iran or Iraq or Russia. If Iran or North Korea or Pakistan or another 'sovereign nation' starts spinning out nuclear warheads you will change your tune INSTANTLY....unfortunately, then it will be too late. Perhaps American foreign policy has not addressed these or other concerns without error, I'm sure that is the case. Perhaps YOU in your apparently infinite wisdom can enlighten us. How do we put the North Korean or Pakistani or Iranian genies back in the bottle?
    You libtards can go back to your regularly scheduled program of sharing with each other your youtube tinfoil melodramas and your fourth grade conception of foreign policy and stroking each other. Since guyone has abandoned pricking you dullards I though I would rattle your cage on random occasions. What an interesting dialogue you have going here, thirty people who all 'think' the same thing and 'think' whining about it will fix things. harharharharharharharharharharharhar

we're always a step out of time,
    now ain't that a shame