Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by jniowa
    I also disagree that this child is capable of making a decision on gender at 9 years old. Gender identity and gender roles are not something we are born with, they are learned behaviors. I feel that one came eventually come to realize that their gender identity does not match there genetic sex. On the other hand who am I to say that this child doesn't already know their own identity. I just feel that a 9 year old isn't developed enough to make this decision.
    Tell that to every single girl on this board.

And, as I said, I think a board of psychologists should decide, not the child, and that decision should be set at puberty (like HS level).

To me, believing gender identity is a learned behavior is about as ridiculous as saying homosexuality is a learned behavior.

Besides, David Reimer is utter proof what you said is false:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer

Rookie Poster

I just question whether some gung-ho therapist wouldn't be willing to sacrifice his left nut (or in this case, some poor kids left and right nuts) to push this, in order to do a case study and be published in an industry journal.

Maybe some of the ladies might offer their enlightened opinions.

I kissed a t-girl and I liked it
    I hope my girlfriend don't mind it
    It felt so wrong......it felt so right

.......Well, I can dream, can't I?

Professional Poster

I should clarify my statement. I didn't mean that gender identity is learned, as in it is a choice. I don't fell it is a choice. I meant that over time a person will learn the differences between how they identify personally and the role society has assigned their sex. I just don't know if a 9 year old is fully able to appreciate the difference. I also question whether a board of psychologists or even psychiatrists should make the final decision. I do agree that it is a decision that should be made later in life.

But in the end it is just my humble opinion and opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one.

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by TessTickles
    I just question whether some gung-ho therapist wouldn't be willing to sacrifice his left nut (or in this case, some poor kids left and right nuts) to push this, in order to do a case study and be published in an industry journal.

Maybe some of the ladies might offer their enlightened opinions.
    Hence the reason a "board" of psychologists, not simply one.