Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Poster

Default Hypothetical Question (Not the usual question)

Ok, so I'm just wondering if anyone would be interested, hypothetically, in purchasing a shoe rack where you would place your wet shoes to dry them off, while keeping your floor dry. It would be easy to drain and clean, not take up a bunch of space, and have a way of heating it through the heat registers in your house.

"What we've got here, is failure to communicate... some men you just can't reach; so you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it, well, he gets it. I don't like it anymore then you men."

Junior Poster

whats a heat register?

are u saying it would hang from the celing? thats where my air vents are

5 Star Poster

best thread ever! lol

lev, did you have a dream or something? "That's it! The perfect shoe rack Mwaahaahaa..."
    How about this thing? Weighs a ton and is wind powered. Imagine rolling up to the club.

Shoe rack optional.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by marissaazts
    whats a heat register?

are u saying it would hang from the celing? thats where my air vents are
    Oy. You people from the south.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Junior Poster

Well, just sitting there with my dad out for breakfest today, my dad is talking about getting out of tile, and hes always getting these get rich quick shceme how-to books. Well, I told my dad if you really wanna get rich, invent something anyone could use, and no one has seen before. I just kind of pulled the shoerack thing out of my ass.

Real invention money is in military research and weapon systems. Government non-competetion contract for the win!

"What we've got here, is failure to communicate... some men you just can't reach; so you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it, well, he gets it. I don't like it anymore then you men."

I just kind of pulled the shoerack thing out of my ass.
    Jeez! That hadda hurt!

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

I have a few different shoe racks (I own about 60 pair of shoes and my wife about 15 ... yeah, I'm the shoe hound in the family). However, I would never heat my shoes, at least not any made of leather, as heat is extremely bad for leather. Better to just let them air dry, and always let them rest for at least a day between wearings.

In the hearts of the kind, and in the fears of the wicked.

Not a bad idea in theory.

I try to avoid getting my shoes wet in the first place.

I don't walk in puddles, and if I must walk in the snow,
    water, mud, etc, I wll have checked the weather first
    and be wearing the appropriate water proof / resistant
    shoes.

Also drying leather shoes with heat isn't good as it tends
    to damage them.

More info on drying wet shoes:

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...+dry+wet+shoes

Also depends upon the type of shoe. Good, properly conditioned leather as used for hiking boots, riding boots, and the like can take getting wet no problem, and in fact can (and should be) washed to get dirt out of the leather pores when necessary (saddle soap). But only air dry them! I've seen many a pair of $300 hiking boots ruined by drying next to a campfire; the next morning the leather is dried out and even brittle.

Dress shoes, on the other hand, no matter how well made don't have the leather for getting wet and as Peg says you should avoid getting them wet as much as possible. Remove the inner soles if you can, and stuff the shoes with newspaper to absorb the moisture.

I could probably build one, but I live in the low desert. No snow. Rarely any mud. Less than 3" annual precip. I assume this is something that would go in a mud room or out on the porch.

I don't think it's heat that you need so much as airflow. Don't want it too hot or cold, but definitely dry. I'm thinking that woud make enclosure necessary.

You might be able to make a $ or 2 if you can produce it cheaply & make it look good. Maybe a kit. Don't put it back up your ass though. Might damage it before the sale.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~