Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gold Poster

Default To '80's Music Fans: Which band today ...

Since there is a core of '80's new wave/techno pop/punk genre fans here, I have a question for y'all: Which current band today (still intact) best embodies that sound ... that look, that spirit, that mystique, that style, et all ??? Is there an Echo and the Bunnymen out there that I am not aware of? Are there any New Orders or OMDs also?

For me, the following band's sound comes very close:

Please post names or links of your favs. I'm really interested in listening to new sounds that emulate that '80's sound ... I want and need new meat!

And, no, I don't mean, want, or need the Guns and Roses sound. Yech!

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious ... He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed ... Albert Einstein

Professional Poster francisfkudrow's Avatar

The Cruxshadows...

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by francisfkudrow
    The Cruxshadows...

Watched it. Yep, definitely '80's in their sound and look.

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious ... He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed ... Albert Einstein

Junior Poster

i was metal fan in the 80's , Metallica was the best , and i had a soft spot for Kiss !

Maroon 5 has an 80's vibe and on this song the lead singer Adam Levine has a young Sting type vocal ...

First album ... Harder to Breathe
    edgier sound

"All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine" - Jeff Spicoli

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

I was a metal fan in the 80's, am now, and will always be. Many of the old geezers are still rockin'. In the last couple of years, I've bought great DVD performances of Heaven And Hell(Black Sabbath w/Dio), Motorhead, Judas Priest, and Iron Maiden. I went to go see Heaven And Hell live when they were in LA and they were almost as good as when I saw them during the Mob Rules Tour back in 1981.

As far as newer, but definitely not new, bands go, I like Black Label Society and Down.

Professional Poster

Hate to disagree X, but the lead singer for Maroon 5 is still waiting for his balls to drop IMO.

Real, try The Killers

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Oli
    Hate to disagree X, but the lead singer for Maroon 5 is still waiting for his balls to drop IMO.

Real, try The Killers

Oli, did you click my link? That's the band I picked, even down to that specific song as my example sans the remixing that yours has. But -- BUT -- you, Francis, and possibly Xrey, are on the same page as to sensing what I am looking for.

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Realgirls4me
    Oli, did you click my link? That's the band I picked, even down to that specific song as my example sans the remixing that yours has. But -- BUT -- you, Francis, and possibly Xrey, are on the same page as to sensing what I am looking for.
    Didn't hit the link Real, sorry...the remixes by Jacques Lu Cont are great. BTW, the Killers are a much better live band than Echo ever was. Saw Echo 3 times, never sounded all that great. Saw the Killers last year and they rocked.

Here's a make good-Keane

Junior Poster

OK, here is a bunch:

The Killers (I love the way Realgirls4me had to provide a link, and didn't even name that band, as though everyone hasn't heard of the Killers!)

Some (but not all) LCD Soundsystem

The Faint

The Bravery (but they are disgusting)

Obviously No Doubt (check their album Rock Steady)

The Strokes second album, Room On Fire

Plug In City, The Presets & Cut Copy (most of the bands on Modular)

To be honest, that whole New Wave revival thing was over like 2 years ago; it's just annoying now.