Veteran Poster

Default Where Is This Law That Requires Us To Pay Income Tax?

You are until the police come to arrest you.

If I got a dime every time I read an ad with purloined photos I could retire right now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QjS0AbRpAo Andenzi, izimvo zakho ziyaba.

Professional Poster

That would be the 16th Amendment to the Constitution.

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.

Ratified February 3, 1913

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

hey, i got an idea...how about supporting the military entirely with bake sales? pretty good eh? mmm let's see we pay the supreme court by...by....i know....the justices put on a play. every year the supreme court should put on a play and the proceeds are used to run the federal court system. brilliant. i'm on a roll here. now how about the senate? any ideas?

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

AMENDMENT XVI
    Passed by Congress July 2, 1909. Ratified February 3, 1913.

Note: Article I, section 9, of the Constitution was modified by amendment 16.

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.

Here's the link to that page in the national archives.
    http://www.archives.gov/national-arc...nts_11-27.html

Oh, & just in case somebody wants to make some lame argument that "That's only an amendment!", here's this:

Article. V.

The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate.

& here's the link to that from the national archives.
    http://www.archives.gov/national-arc...ranscript.html

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Hey Trish,

Maybe the Congress & the Whitehouse could get together to put on a song & dance routine, & ... uh... ...Oh yeah...

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

From my understanding the required number of states needed to ratify this law was never met.

The IRS is the strong arm for the Federal Reserve which is neither federal nor a reserve,rather a privately owned institution.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Asia
    From my understanding the required number of states needed to ratify this law was never met.

The IRS is the strong arm for the Federal Reserve which is neither federal nor a reserve,rather a privately owned institution.
    Correct.

Then you understand wrong. It was ratified in 1913. That means that 36 of the 48 states at that time signed on to the amendment. Without ratification, there's no amendment & it wouldn't even be listed or have a number. Pending doesn't count.

If you want to do away with the income tax &/or the IRS, all you have to do is convince Congress to do so. Good luck with that. Even when the supply side republicans were in control of the Congress for a dozen years, they couldn't even simplify the forms let alone remove all tax burdon from the supply side. The democrats aren't supply siders, so they won't be willing to shift the entire tax burdon to the demand side.

It ain't happening. That's fine with me because I don't want to see the country go into an economic tailspin that we may never be able to pull out of. Replacing the income tax with any kind of VAT will destroy the middle class. Since we're still in debt, we can't just lose taxes altogether because the dollar is supported only by faith in our word that we're good for the money we borrow. If we were to nullify the debt without paying it off, the dollar would become totally worthless overnight, even here. The richest Americans would be those in prison because they use cigarettes for currency. The economy is dynamic & diven by demand. Stifle that & the whole house of cards crumbles.

~ Kinky Friedman ~

Check out some of the trailers on Aaron Russo's website or even better, see the whole film. Scary stuff. http://www.freedomtofascism.com/