Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Veteran Poster

I find some of the things written here difficult to digest: the most "disturbing" one about all people being equal or that they should all be given an equal shot (or chance to have their voice/opinion heard).

To the individuals that claim this: do you therefore think you and a child molester should be treated equally? You might say that this is a stretch: but by your definition, this should mean you and a child molester both have equal rights.

Also if all people are equal or should be treated equally: what stops you for throwing your ethics out the window? After all, you will be judged as equally as a person that weights his own ethics heavily everyday before making judgments.

I believe today's society is overcrowded and oversaturated by mediocrity and there is nothing more disturbing or disgusting (except for the fact that these people are ignorant about their own short comings.) I'm one of those people that believe in Population Control: i.e. the eradication of useless people though what merits these individuals should be held upon and the criterion for which should be judged is still cloudy (at the moment).

What do you believe is the state of the world currently? How do you believe people can co-exist with less conflict? Do you believe in population control or do you think it is an extreme philosophy? And most important: why should people be given equal rights (especially when considering what sort of people we are talking about like murderers, gang-members, child molesters etc). When and where do we draw the line?

"gotcha. it's cool. was kind of confusing. i'm not gay, but that is a good pic of you" yngtxmale24: "straight" male to another "straight" male

I'm skipping three pages ahead, so please excuse me if I missed anything vital along the way.

Do I believe in equality?

Yes, I do. In the same way that many people believe in a higher being, steadfastly swearing to its existence without ever really seeing proof of it.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedOne

Yes, I do. In the same way that many people believe in a higher being, steadfastly swearing to its existence without ever really seeing proof of it.
    Then does that mean you believe you and a person that committed triple homicide should be treated equally?

"gotcha. it's cool. was kind of confusing. i'm not gay, but that is a good pic of you" yngtxmale24: "straight" male to another "straight" male

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear:

Yes, I believe in it.

That doesn't mean it truly exists.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Addendum:

Some of my friends still pal around with an ex of mine that offed a family member with a shotgun, so I guess we are treated somewhat equally.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

One never knows what traits will prove to be essential for surviving the unforeseen dangers that lie ahead. I think it’s dangerous to prune away human traits just because at present they seem detrimental.

Sickle cell anemia is a genetically transmitted disease. One might like to make a case to eliminate all carriers of the gene. However that same gene provides it’s carriers protection against malaria. It may happen that only these carriers could survive a future mutation of the malaria protist.

I rather see humans do the nurturing and let nature do the pruning.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Veteran Poster

Believing in things that don't exist is dangerous: especially if you wish for them to exist. It can be like waiting all day for the right woman to knock on your door.

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish
    One never knows what traits will prove to be essential for surviving the unforeseen dangers that lie ahead. I think it’s dangerous to prune away human traits just because at present they seem detrimental.
    I like this idea, though one has to consider increased population rise (which mostly remains uncontrollable expect for disease and natural disaster), increased human/wildlife conflict (destruction of amazon, polar caps melting), increased refuse and garbage (NY City) etc etc

What sort of natural pruning do you prefer: Catastrophe's or disease?

And most important: why should people be given equal rights (especially when considering what sort of people we are talking about like murderers, gang-members, child molesters etc). When and where do we draw the line?
    I don't think anyone is actually FOR giving these people equal rights. Just by their description, they've been found guilty of a crime of some sort. Society draws the line right there: guilty in a court of law. Once that's happened your rights are forfeit.

Up until that point, EVERYONE should deserve equal status under the law. Are we all equal financially? No. Are we all equal intellectually? No. Are we all equally physically? No. Does that mean that we should all enjoy the same rights and privileges (unless we've been convicted of a crime) as everyone else? Yes.

A society in which everyone is equal financially, physically and intellectually is one that stagnates and collapses upon itself because no one has anything to strive for. It's also an unrealistic dream that got some 75 million people killed in the 20th Century called Communism.

So long as everyone gets equal treatment from everyone else, I fail to see why anything else would matter.

"Those who would give up essential liberty for a little temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security..."

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by crayons
    Believing in things that don't exist is dangerous: especially if you wish for them to exist. It can be like waiting all day for the right woman to knock on your door.
    Bra-fucking-vo!

Heh. I said "Bra".