Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Platinum Poster

Default Barbecued Ribs 101...by request...

From the 'World in 2008' thread in the P&R section:

Quote Originally Posted by chefmike
    Quote Originally Posted by ezed
    And chefmike will post his recipies on the General Forum.
    Where you been, huckleberry? Polishing the rocket? I've submitted/answered several recipe posts in the HA snakepit...however I have yet to share my recipe for dried sour cherry sauce(for roasted duck)which is now in it's final revision...so simple, yet so sublime...
    Fuck the duck, the skin is the best part, the meat's good also, the sauce is an added bonus. Tell me how to cook country style pork ribs and make it succulent!
    OK ezed, I'll put up some BBQ 101 tips in the General Forum...you yankees need all the help that you can get in that department...although there is a great BBQ restaurant in Cambridge that is owned by a southern BBQ guru...
    First and foremost, this could take a while...because as a native Virginian, I take my BBQ just as seriously as do my neighbors in NC(which is the mecca for true pork BBQ)...I could talk for hours about BBQ, one of America's greatest culinary traditions...preferably over many cold beers and the smoky smell of a slow-roasted swine over a wood fire nearby...

True BBQ is cooked over wood(preferably) or charcoal...gas grills and wood chips are a poor substitute and a last resort...more about that later...

I'll start with a shortcut method that uses both your oven and grill(I'm assuming that you aren't using a home or pro smoker, pit, etc.) Country-style ribs require more cooking than spareribs or babybacks, but this method will work for any type of ribs if the time is adjusted accordingly. The first rule of BBQ is "low and slow", but this method gives you a shortcut.

Good BBQ is about the rub, not the sauce. I'll post some rub, baste, and sauce recipes later...I rub my ribs with yellow ballpark mustard before I put on the rub. You want to rub a nice coating on your ribs, but don't cake it on...as that could result in overly salty ribs. After you've given your ribs a good rubbing, cover them tightly with aluminum foil and put them in a preheated 400 degree oven. I'd give country-style ribs about 2 hours in the oven. Transfer your ribs to the grill, you will then cook them off of the direct heat of the coals or gas...the best wood(or wood chip) for ribs is hickory(I also add some oak when I have it, mesquite is for beef brisket.) You can now smoke your ribs for as long as you can stand it, but if you're in a hurry an hour or so should do it...do not apply sauce until the last half-hour on the grill! You can baste your ribs before that, but we'll have to go into that later this weekend...class is now open for questions but I can't promise you mooks an answer until I drop in later tonight or tomorrow...

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Default Re: Barbecued Ribs 101...by request...

[quote="chefmike"]From the 'World in 2008' thread in the P&R section:

First and foremost, this could take a while...because as a native Virginian, I take my BBQ just as seriously as do my neighbors in NC(which is the mecca for true pork BBQ)...I could talk for hours about BBQ, one of America's greatest culinary traditions...preferably over many cold beers and the smoky smell of a slow-roasted swine over a wood fire nearby...

True BBQ is cooked over wood(preferably) or charcoal...gas grills and wood chips are a poor substitute and a last resort...more about that later...

I'll start with a shortcut method that uses both your oven and grill(I'm assuming that you aren't using a home or pro smoker, pit, etc.) Country-style ribs require more cooking than spareribs or babybacks, but this method will work for any type of ribs if the time is adjusted accordingly. The first rule of BBQ is "low and slow", but this method gives you a shortcut.

Good BBQ is about the rub, not the sauce. I'll post some rub, baste, and sauce recipes later...I rub my ribs with yellow ballpark mustard before I put on the rub. You want to rub a nice coating on your ribs, but don't cake it on...as that could result in overly salty ribs. After you've given your ribs a good rubbing, cover them tightly with aluminum foil and put them in a preheated 400 degree oven. I'd give country-style ribs about 2 hours in the oven. Transfer your ribs to the grill, you will then cook them off of the direct heat of the coals or gas...the best wood(or wood chip) for ribs is hickory(I also add some oak when I have it, mesquite is for beef brisket.) You can now smoke your ribs for as long as you can stand it, but if you're in a hurry an hour or so should do it...do not apply sauce until the last half-hour on the grill! You can baste your ribs before that, but we'll have to go into that later this weekend...class is now open for questions but I can't promise you mooks an answer until I drop in later tonight or tomorrow...
    Hmm, interesting. I'll have to try it out once the weather thaws out in April. Thanks Mike. Mahalo

Matt

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it ...

Rookie Poster

I don't have a grill, is it possible to cook it all the way through in the over? LOL I know that's cheating but I am not really into grilling, maybe I should get a cook as a husband...

Gold Poster

What do you recommend for someone using a hibatchi, and what are your thoughts on carne asada?

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious ... He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed ... Albert Einstein

Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by xxxsexyd
    I don't have a grill, is it possible to cook it all the way through in the over? LOL I know that's cheating but I am not really into grilling, maybe I should get a cook as a husband...
    Not a problem, just extend the oven time and when the ribs are almost falling off the bone, lower the heat to about 300, uncover and sauce the ribs, then cook another 20 or 30 minutes until you have a nice glaze on them. Watch them closely so your sauce doesn't burn. And don't forget to have fun while you're doing it!

Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Realgirls4me
    What do you recommend for someone using a hibatchi, and what are your thoughts on carne asada?
    I gotta jet, real. I'll get back to ya later, mon!

Not a problem, just extend the oven time and when the ribs are almost falling off the bone, lower the heat to about 300, uncover and sauce the ribs, then cook another 20 or 30 minutes until you have a nice glaze on them. Watch them closely so your sauce doesn't burn. And don't forget to have fun while you're doing it!
    I am copying and pasting all this to a word doc. Can't wait for the rub, baste and sauce.

I like the ball park mustard idea. And I do have a smoker!

5 Star Poster
    nyc. dancing. living. smiling. laughing. again.

mustard...never would of thought of that. gracias, chefmike!

Professional Poster

Damn, this really made me hungry.

Shush girl, shut your lips
    Do the Helen Keller and talk with your hips

Platinum Poster

I am copying and pasting all this to a word doc. Can't wait for the rub, baste and sauce.

I like the ball park mustard idea. And I do have a smoker!
    If you have smoker, ezed, you have the option of doing them from start to finish on your smoker. It takes a MINIMUM of 6 hrs. to get them right that way, though. It's not as easy as it sounds. Cooking a boston butt for shredded pork BBQ sandwiches is much easier, but that also takes a minimum of 6 hrs.