Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Professional Poster

Exactly. People of age seem to think that all hip hop HAS to have a positive message behind it or something. Stop dissin the gangsta rappers out there. Some of those dudes REALLY DO live the life that they speak of in their rhymes and that's all that they know, or knew if they moved out of the hood. That's just like neglecting the horrible life that they were forced to live for whatever reason. If they rapped about war in iraq, that wouldn't be true to them because they don't know shit about it. All they know is the war that they are fightin in their neighborhoods. If they want to rap about jewelry leave them the fuck alone. Its their lifestyle for god sakes stop hatin because you don't have it! Why would they rap about politics when they don't know shit about it? Besides if it sells, why would you change it? Besides it ain't dead its just taking new form. Back then, violence wasn't near the rate it is now, so wouldn't it be logical that violent rappers come out? Back then it was more about politics because that's what was going on in the world at the time and now its sex, drugs, and money because that's what's happenin. Listening to rappers' music is like listening to the news of the ghetto that's not makin it on tv. Maybe some of you people should get off of their "high horses" and listen every once in a while, because more than 50% of murders, stabbings and everything else that happens there never makes channel 5.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by 62des
    Exactly. People of age seem to think that all hip hop HAS to have a positive message behind it or something. Stop dissin the gangsta rappers out there. Some of those dudes REALLY DO live the life that they speak of in their rhymes and that's all that they know, or knew if they moved out of the hood. That's just like neglecting the horrible life that they were forced to live for whatever reason. If they rapped about war in iraq, that wouldn't be true to them because they don't know shit about it. All they know is the war that they are fightin in their neighborhoods. If they want to rap about jewelry leave them the fuck alone. Its their lifestyle for god sakes stop hatin because you don't have it! Why would they rap about politics when they don't know shit about it? Besides if it sells, why would you change it? Besides it ain't dead its just taking new form. Back then, violence wasn't near the rate it is now, so wouldn't it be logical that violent rappers come out? Back then it was more about politics because that's what was going on in the world at the time and now its sex, drugs, and money because that's what's happenin. Listening to rappers' music is like listening to the news of the ghetto that's not makin it on tv. Maybe some of you people should get off of their "high horses" and listen every once in a while, because more than 50% of murders, stabbings and everything else that happens there never makes channel 5.
    I'm black and have to call you out on this nonsense that you are saying about live and let live when it comes to Gangsta Rap. The problem is there are idiots out there that use this shit as their bible in everyday life. You and I probably know a few. You talk about how its the news of the ghetto. What constructive is coming out of that supposed news when 17, 18 year old young black males slinging rock on the corners of the poor parts of the inner cities across this nation are shot up by one another for turf or for their gangs.

Do some research look up the ages of those who die from gang violence in the inner cities and then you may wise up and not think its just news, its deadly reality. Its cool I guess if you want to overlook all those dead young black males or blame society for their social conditions that lead them to that point, but glorifying that senseless B.S. is not cool in my book. I'm not attacking you just saying there is way too much blood being shed.

I watched the program First 48 on A&E and the level of senseless violence of young blacks killing each other in Memphis, Kanas City, the Pork and Beans projects, Little Haiti, Overtown in Miami, Detroit, is crazy. A lot of that nonsense is glorified in Gangsta rap but when you see the emotions of the families faces and the communities and how dreadful it is then you see there is nothing positive and that's my point. Just had to call you out on that man, oh and did I mention the drugs in the communities that are being sold. along with the B.S. that everyone saw what happen when some young man is gunned down, but don't snitch or you're next.

Black "Bofe" male in NYC that loves effeminate Latina TG ladies

In the hearts of the kind, and in the fears of the wicked.

No, all hip hop doesn't have to have a political message ala Public Enemy.

But it damned sure doesn't have to glorify the values of violence, drug
    sales and use, denigration of women, and sexual minorities.

The young people of today are taking the messages that they hear in
    some rap and the media, and internalizing them, with dire and negative
    consequences, for the present, and the future.

In the hearts of the kind, and in the fears of the wicked.

By the by, for those that are interested on this topic, watch
    Hip Hop versus America http://www.bet.com/OnTV/hhva.htm
    where this subject is discussed.

It's a show you don't want to miss.

Dead? Lupe Fiasco, Common, Talib Kweli and Mos Def would like to have a word with you. It's not, but certainly not thriving on an artistic, social, political and introspective level as before. I hate when people say they've completely given up on new stuff. If you love rap, take a few and find what's worth listening to.

I agree with 62des about Soulja Boy's song. That, "It's Going Down" by Yung Joc (sp?), etc. are made for the clubs and house parties.

My only problem is when people elevate the club over the substance. Perfect example, my folks and I took a road trip to Oklahoma in late December to watch my little brother graduate from army bootcamp at Fort Sill (boring place). On the way there we listening to a lot of different rappers, but my sisters (24, 17, 16, & 12) preferred only the rap with with lots of cussing, sexual eplicitness, and general self-boasting. I tried to enlighten them to something with an actual message, so I passed up my Black Star cd. They slept on it. My dad, whose not a fan of rap, I especially wanted to hear it so he could know not to trust the radio and music videos to represent what hip-hop is. Even the 24 year old slept on it. I'm 23 myself, I remember older rap music of the early 90s (A Tribe Called Quest, Common, De La Soul, etc.) so I thought if anyone could appreciate it, it could be her. Hell, there's a track called "Brown Skin Lady" where Mos and Talib are showing love to that brown skin lady of their interest. She preferred the music that disrespects her, because it has a better club beat and easier to dance to. Younger sisters? Same way.

Oh well. Club music is ok in moderation, but I guess songs with substance needs better beats?

P.S. Check out Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor and The Cool. You won't regret it.

"Can't worry about what another nigga think, now that's liberation and baby I want it."
    -OutKast

Junior Poster

I don't care if it's considered "gangsta" or negative it is real. A reflection of the reality of the out of control LAPD, pre- Rodney King and the riots. IMO this is the best rap/hip hop album of all time. I am old enough to have bought it when it came out on vinyl.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nwa_122.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	158383  

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by macfan
    Quote Originally Posted by 62des
    I'm black and have to call you out on this nonsense that you are saying about live and let live when it comes to Gangsta Rap. The problem is there are idiots out there that use this shit as their bible in everyday life. You and I probably know a few. You talk about how its the news of the ghetto. What constructive is coming out of that supposed news when 17, 18 year old young black males slinging rock on the corners of the poor parts of the inner cities across this nation are shot up by one another for turf or for their gangs.

Do some research look up the ages of those who die from gang violence in the inner cities and then you may wise up and not think its just news, its deadly reality. Its cool I guess if you want to overlook all those dead young black males or blame society for their social conditions that lead them to that point, but glorifying that senseless B.S. is not cool in my book. I'm not attacking you just saying there is way too much blood being shed.

I watched the program First 48 on A&E and the level of senseless violence of young blacks killing each other in Memphis, Kanas City, the Pork and Beans projects, Little Haiti, Overtown in Miami, Detroit, is crazy. A lot of that nonsense is glorified in Gangsta rap but when you see the emotions of the families faces and the communities and how dreadful it is then you see there is nothing positive and that's my point. Just had to call you out on that man, oh and did I mention the drugs in the communities that are being sold. along with the B.S. that everyone saw what happen when some young man is gunned down, but don't snitch or you're next.
    When did I glorify this shit? For whatever reasons, how about you move to a place like that while in school gettin good grades gettin your ass beat everyday and maybe you'd change to survive too. Goin home with no money so you slang drugs to eat. That's not glorifying anything that's just their way of survival, and it just so happens that people get killed along the way. Some do it for fun and for other reasons. How many gang member kids do you know with both parents still married and happy? None. If some people were in different situations then they'd get a different outcome in their life. Killin and shit isn't learned from watchin tv its learned in life but can be seen on tv.

The last great era was the one that the Wu came out of. After that it was over. It's far too commercialized now and it will only get worse. I haven't listened to hip hop in years now and was an avid fan. Oh how I miss the good old days.

Rookie Poster

no hip hop's not dead it's just slowly getting smothered under the pillows by mainstream bastards who just want to make money by putting bullshit songs on the radio and tv, but there is alot of hip hop out there with substance on it just so hard to find these days but if you get away from all the mainstream stuff you can find some really great artist who are talking about more than crank that whatever and how much money they got

Junior Poster

There are alot of good rappers out there, you just have to look...but not even that hard. The radio and MTV is the last place. Even BET fell waaay off...

WuTang just released a new album, GHostface Killah and Masta killa have been releasing new albums. Raekwons Vatican Mixtape trilogy has been great. Cuban Linx 2 is due out soon..
    And that is just Wu Tang Projects.
    Killah Priest is another MC that is slept on a ton.
    I bet there are alot of albums you haven't even heard that would be new to you.....so go searching.