View Poll Results: Why does the Mayan Calendar End on 2012?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • the world will come to an end

2 4.00%
  • world wont end but something "BIG" is going to occur

13 26.00%
  • Dude making the calendar went out for pizza and beer and never came back to finish it

35 70.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    "Qui Audet Adipiscitur" 5 Star Poster KiraHarden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Asia
    Quote Originally Posted by KiraHarden_TS
    We have lived thru Y2K. I would be more concerned with the lack of water and oil in our future. The oil I believe we can find a alternate fuel for, but without water we are so FUCKED!

Cities around Milwaukee that cant meet their own water demands, are trying to pass and create bills to get at the fresh water from Lake Michigan. Which is protected under this Natural basin law. The Great Lakes will become Liquid gold as years pass.
    Nah the Bush Admin just needs to stop spending over a million dollars per minute on the "War on Terror" and actually use it to help the US...for instance by building some strategically placed desalination plants.Places like India,singapore,Saudi Arabia and many other places have them already built and functioning for years...But of course we all know that the war machine is so much more important than providing drinking water to the nation.
    Now that you mention it. I did hear about the desalination plants when I was stationed in Saudi. I forgot all about this, its been a few years. You are right

"Of all losses, time is the most irrecoverable for it can never be redeemed.”

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. "

"Ladies its not the dress that makes you look fat, its the fat that makes you look fat "

Junior Poster

I recall hearing that the I-Ching indicates something of a "big" event will occur around that same time- but you know the more obscure and obtuse the prediction the easier it is to say "Ah-HA!! see somebody predicted that"

as for me i plan on enjoying every day up till then- oh yeah and every day after it as well....

Junior Poster

Default Re: December 21 2012

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Asia
    Lots of talk going around regarding this date and its significance in the Mayan Calendar.

As some of you may already know the Mayans were highly advanced astronomers and their calendars were way advanced for their time.In fact many of the elements in the calendar we use today arent so unlike what the Mayans were doing a thousand + years ago.

The Mayan calendar abruptly ends on december 21 2012....Why?

Curious to hear what yall think about this date,and its importance or lack thereof
    The date doesn't necessarily symbolize the end of time, it's more like when your car hits 100,000 miles, it just turns over. December 23 or 21 2012, is an assumption of calendar and not time in general. There will be no solar flair that ignites earth, just some growing pains as we enter a new celestial event.

The mayans were prophetic like the Egyptians, why?, is the question, though?

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trans Mission
    No television.

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho
    Quote Originally Posted by Trans Mission
    No television.
    I know, a lack of "Full House" is brutal.

Junior Poster

Well supposely the world is suppose to end in May 2008, the hardoncollider well thats what /b/ calls it. No we are not going to die in 2008 or 2012, I think its false and I will probs die of something different but hey I reckon I'm going to live until 2085.

Junior Poster

some further reading that may intrest: www.crystalinks.com/vedic.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1198223143551_161.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	158437  

yea well hi ôô

Junior Poster

It's funny, pre-September 11 and all that terribleness, people used to always say "oh, it's signalling the end!" but now people tend to say "it's signalling renewal".

So I dunno. Maybe it is a signal of the second coming or something, but people are too scared to admit it.

Banned again for being a jizzmop, oh well! Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by odelay24
    It's funny, pre-September 11 and all that terribleness, people used to always say "oh, it's signalling the end!" but now people tend to say "it's signalling renewal".

So I dunno. Maybe it is a signal of the second coming or something, but people are too scared to admit it.
    The second coming? The Mayans already have a "second coming" type story recorded in their mythology, and it's kinda funny actually. It involves a pair known as The Heroic Twins who at one point have to descend into the Mayan hells, and eventually return to earth, promptly becoming the Sun and Moon.

What exactly was lighting and heating the earth before this event is never really much of an issue, story wise.

One of the best parts of the myth is when one of the twins peeks outside his blowgun (they were hiding from bats) prematurely, and gets his head lopped off. This does not slow down the twins, as they devise a plan to replace the head with a gourd and then challenge the gods to a game of basketball (I'm not making this up). Of course, the ball to be used is the lost twins head which they manage to recover, and presumably, win the game.

I doubt the Mayans were much for future telling, but they knew how to tell one hell of a story.

Some have suggested that it will be the beginning of a change in the way humans think and behave. That we will be more spiritual (not necessarily religious), in tune with eachother and our environment, and families and communities will be tighter. What frightens me about that is the fact that that sort of thing doesn't usually happen until a tragedy happens (9-11 for example).

I guess we'll see. >_>

Quote Originally Posted by hingshing
    I also find it fascinating that it claims that humams were much more intelligent, physically stronger and lived much longer in the previous ages and genetically we have all deteriorated in this current cycle.
    Very interesting. I've heard of reports (from where or who I don't know) of scientists saying that in about another 1000 years mankind will reach our peak as far as our physical is concerned. That we will be 7 feet tall on average (it is said that the average height of people a millenia ago was much shorter, maybe 5 feet or so), live to 120-150 on average, our mental capacity fully unlocked (it is said we use about 10% of our brains now), stronger, etc. It certainly lends credence to what you said. I have no proof of any of this, just stuff I remember hitting my radar fairly recently.

These things aren't enough to deter my faith in God, but it certainly piques my interest and opens my mind. I've always found this type of stuff fascinating. Good thread.

"Can't worry about what another nigga think, now that's liberation and baby I want it."
    -OutKast