Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Born in the Wrong Body

Anyone see "Born in the Wrong Body" last night on MSNBC? An excellent documentry on transgender folk. Way better than that lame Larry King show or Dateline show a few months back. They interviewed numerous transwomen at different stages of development. They also spent quite a bit of time on the "ballroom scene" in NYC and the late night subculture it draws. I found that a bit deceiving. I have never and probably never will go to those events but the implication is that ballroom is a big part of the NYC TS scene. Other than that, an informative doc for the general public.

One thing I find curious is they discuss transgender as if it were an issue from birth. All of the MtoF transsexuals were presented as having feelings of the opposite gender from the age of toddler. That was never the case for me. I've stated many times, I was a boy and lived a boy's life. Feminine feelings didn't begin until I was in college. That apparently is not the norm but I'm living proof that such cases do exist.

Junior Poster

Default Re: Born in the Wrong Body

Quote Originally Posted by melissacarter
    Anyone see "Born in the Wrong Body" last night on MSNBC? An excellent documentry on transgender folk. Way better than that lame Larry King show or Dateline show a few months back. They interviewed numerous transwomen at different stages of development. They also spent quite a bit of time on the "ballroom scene" in NYC and the late night subculture it draws. I found that a bit deceiving. I have never and probably never will go to those events but the implication is that ballroom is a big part of the NYC TS scene. Other than that, an informative doc for the general public.

One thing I find curious is they discuss transgender as if it were an issue from birth. All of the MtoF transsexuals were presented as having feelings of the opposite gender from the age of toddler. That was never the case for me. I've stated many times, I was a boy and lived a boy's life. Feminine feelings didn't begin until I was in college. That apparently is not the norm but I'm living proof that such cases do exist.
    I missed it Melissa hope that they show it again over the holiday period. I enjoy documentaries on TGism and gaining more insight into the different individual TG. All tend to have an interesting story that attracts me in numerous ways. Hmm surprised actually to hear you say you only began in college to experience feminine feelings. Either way you look very feminine and soft , love your eyes. You're all woman.

melissa, I missed it although I'd like to see it the next time around. Here's a link to a great interview I heard a few weeks ago on our local NPR station. It's about the high school experience of F to M transexual who came out during high school. It's worth the time. http://www.whyy.org/91FM/voices.html

5 Star Poster
    nyc. dancing. living. smiling. laughing. again.

hey melissa. yes, i saw it. actually, a very close friend of mine, angelika, was in it. she's also in the docuseries i co-produced/directed, "t". we have had many long talks about her gender and her life and i'm quite familiar with it. in fact, i have a few friends that feel as she does. some who have already gotten srs and others who are still on their own journey. you should get in touch with her. i'm sure she'd love to talk to you.

also, yes, the "ballroom/house" scene is a big part of nyc ts scene. definitely not for all, but for many. you can check out some of the ball footage on youtube.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by melissacarter

so are you happy that you transitioned even though it was later on?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunzee
    so are you happy that you transitioned even though it was later on?
    Definitely, thanks for asking. I'm happy for the first time in my life.

Rookie Poster

anyone see the hbo documentary "middle sexes"?

5 Star Poster

I saw it. I think it was a fair representation of youthful transgendered people. One that for once was not being lensed through the eyes of an older transgendered person. For if such a person had been directing it the Ball scene would not have been touched on.

Quote Originally Posted by whatsupwithat
    hey melissa. yes, i saw it. actually, a very close friend of mine, angelika, was in it. she's also in the docuseries i co-produced/directed, "t". we have had many long talks about her gender and her life and i'm quite familiar with it. in fact, i have a few friends that feel as she does. some who have already gotten srs and others who are still on their own journey. you should get in touch with her. i'm sure she'd love to talk to you.

also, yes, the "ballroom/house" scene is a big part of nyc ts scene. definitely not for all, but for many. you can check out some of the ball footage on youtube.
    I was very impressed with Angelika. Very poised for 20 years old. It seemed her grandmother was fairly supportive of her decision.

Thanks so much for a wonderful documentary. I had seen the trailer before but it was good to watch it again. Your interest and support I am sure is helping to bring acceptance to mainstream society.

This show is playing again tonight at 9 pm eastern time on MSNBC.