View Poll Results: Is it worth the effort?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • of course

11 34.38%
  • only for the kids

5 15.63%
  • i'd prefer to avoid 'family time' but it's ok

4 12.50%
  • overrated

12 37.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas

Gold Poster

Default Christmas

thoughts

As a kid I loved it of course.

As a teenager I hated it as much as possible.

Now, just turned 30, I made my peace with it, It´s a quiet time when all the pressure of modern life - at least for me if you take the right measures beforehand - recede a bit.

So, x-mas has become enjoyable again.

Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi

Gold Poster

I know what you mean mbf, I hated the whole xmas season for a few years but I'm coming out of 'grinch mode' and starting to enjoy it again.

It's the xmas shopping that I hate.

The 'magic' was lost when my father died in 1982. The family drifted apart, the kids became more commercialized, the event, as a whole, lost all of its appeal.

It became more of a gimme-gimme-gimme event than anything else, and the entire holiday revolves around pre and post $-mas sales events. Buy this, buy that, get me the latest whatever.

It is no longer a religious holiday, a time for family and friends.

I hope someone shits on your grave, Sam Walton.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedOne
    It became more of a gimme-gimme-gimme event than anything else, and the entire holiday revolves around pre and post $-mas sales events. Buy this, buy that, get me the latest whatever.
    Yeah, you're right.

It's beyond a joke now in that respect.

Selfish little cunts

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedOne
    The 'magic' was lost when my father died in 1982. The family drifted apart, the kids became more commercialized, the event, as a whole, lost all of its appeal.

It is no longer a religious holiday, a time for family and friends.

I hope someone shits on your grave, Sam Walton.
    Hit the nail on the head. It's become a commercial holiday and we're bombarded with cheer and music for an entire month. The problem here is that we have Thanksgiving and it's given retailers an excuse to create a holiday season that starts even before Thanksgiving.

Then of course we get the news guys talking about the secularization of the holidays and we have to hear people droning on about whether it's anti-christmas to say happy holidays. But Christmas is a joyous time, a great family time, but quite frankly I'm exhausted by the time it comes. People have such high expectations for it.

Junior Poster

christmas for many years was a time for me to feel bad - I was an outcast from my family for a decade or so and generally hated the "happy" of it all while i was pushed away from the love everybody shared....before that it was rough trying to reconcile what I had done to try and make myself comfortable being "a man" (killing people does not "cure" any gender issues, please make a note)....so fifteen or so years of guilt and pain are a hard tradition to break, but i'm kinda trying (okay.... i'll try harder)

The Post Orifice issues its "Christmas Stamps" on Labor Day (Septumble first, for you furriners). And the $-mas sales began while we were still succumbing to the sugary delights of Hallowe'en (Octember 31).

Feh!

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by loSTdoLLbaBY
    christmas for many years was a time for me to feel bad - I was an outcast from my family for a decade or so and generally hated the "happy" of it all while i was pushed away from the love everybody shared....before that it was rough trying to reconcile what I had done to try and make myself comfortable being "a man" (killing people does not "cure" any gender issues, please make a note)....so fifteen or so years of guilt and pain are a hard tradition to break, but i'm kinda trying (okay.... i'll try harder)

Yeah, that must be tough. I'm sure as the years go on things will get better and better.

Junior Poster

let's hope Night Rider- i'm too young to dread the holidays, right?

(and don't worry- they were government sanctioned killings )