Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by seanchai
    I cannot stand Pattaya and try and stay away from it but as previous posters stated, for a first time visit try and split your time from Bangkok which is awesome (and really not that polluted or dirty at all ... have you been to Manila?) - has three entertainment areas, great bars, shopping malls, restuarants, etc - and Pattaya - fat low-rent tourists, less friendly girls, lots of noise.
    Phuket is cool if you have the time.

If you go to Pattaya and hate it, it's only a $65 taxi ride back to Bangkok.
    a metered taxi takes about 2 hours depending on traffic and construction delays that never seem to end. buses are well under 10 USD and move as fast or faster than any other vehicle on the road (can you say Kamikaze - lol) and can make the trip in about 1 and a half to two hours.

if you go at night, a metered taxi will get you there fast, but he will also scare the living daylights out of you doing it. (i once got into a BKK cab at 4 am and we were at my destination in an hour's time. this was before the new highway too. i am so glad i fell asleep the moment i sat down and told him my destination or i would have sh*t myself for the whole hour.)

buses run a very frequent schedule to Pattaya, about every 1/2 hour, and run from very early morning to about 11 pm or mid-night, last time i checked. the Ekami bus terminal in BKK is also on the BTS skytrain route which makes it only 10 minutes from the Nana area.

if you are not a light traveler, and you got all kinds of kit with you, then by all means, relax and take a metered taxi, you're on a holiday. in BKK you just hail one as if you were going down the street, say Pattaya and negotiate a price, and off you go. to get a metered taxi in Pattaya, that will take you back, requires going to a service or to a few centrally located areas where the metered taxis hangout waiting to get a fare back to BKK. it always seems to cost more getting back. lol

further, a BKK metered taxi driver may not know Pattaya well, and if he seems to be lost, he is. so tell him to stop and ask directions. for someone who does not speak Thai, possibly wait until you get a driver who can communicate with you, many can. also, check the vehicle's status, especially the back seat. many taxis are 15 years old from the original fleet, and the back seat will be like a sling. not fun for 2 hours. just because it has a new paint job doesn't mean it is new inside. also, many cars get flooded during the monsoon season, then the seat cushions mold and putrefy, so if the car smells funny, that is what it probably is. 2 hours of breathing that can ruin your day, and if you get stuck waiting for a construction detour, that can become a 3 hour or 4 hour ordeal.

as you are leaving BKK tell the driver to stop at a mini-mart so you can get drinks and snacks if y9ou think you will want them. not a lot of places to stop on the highway, and at night many are closed. when you do stop ask the driver what he would like to drink. buy him a cola or a bottle of water, this measure of thoughtfulness will go along way, most of the time, and cost you bubkus. it is common practice to do these kinds of things here. it is considered impolite to eat or drink alone and not offer to share, just as it is in most places. gestures with merit return the same.

further, unless posted in the metered taxi, all toll booth fares are your expense above and beyond the cost of the ride.

metered taxi drivers most often rent their vehicle from a fleet service and they pay for fuel and cleaning the vehicle as well. at the end of the day they have managed to eek out a living. taxis with meters are only in the last 15 years or so and they just were allowed to raise the mileage fare for the first time this year. the cost of fuel is insane and drivers will relax and be better service providers if you show them that you realize the situation and pay your way without too much discussion.

very important: taxis change shift between 3 and 4 pm in BKK, if you want to go at that time, and you keep getting refused, that is probably what is happening. wait about an hour and then go, more traffic, rush hour, but they will go. i suggest 11 am, that gives them 5 hours to get you there, find another fare, and return without paying a penalty.

always make a note of the taxi number, it should be posted on the inside of the door where you sit in the back (do not sit up front even if invited, be safe) and make a note of the taxi color scheme. i know this because i had an altercation with one years ago, took the tag number, and was then told by the police that without a color code description of the car they can not fill out the report. i guess that is what is known as local color.

i do not say go by bus because it is solely cheaper, they almost always run on time and get there as fast or faster than any other way.

i used to live in Pattaya, not by choice, my company moved me there. after 3 years there i was chomping at the bit to be anywhere else. then a few years went by, i also spent a lot of time on Phuket, and i have come to conclude, as many others have for many of the same reasons, comparably it is getting better.

close to BKK, so many choices of everything that is available. you can be in the country side or at the beach in a matter of minutes. and for someone who has never been to any of these places, wants to have adult fun, it fills the bill.

just my opinion of course.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dscn3793a_439.jpg 
Views:	977 
Size:	368.9 KB 
ID:	159632   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	awika_antcrop005_172.jpg 
Views:	972 
Size:	220.3 KB 
ID:	159633  

experience is everything!
    been there, done that - goin' back fer mo' ...

does anyone know where i can find this cutie-pie

Junior Poster

I think PATTAYA is better! because there is also beatch and someting else!! Bangok only city!!! and dirty

Quote Originally Posted by bkkldby
    Quote Originally Posted by ImpulZ
    bangkok is a dirty city,koh samuia is awesome just like koh samet....go there
    not to be rude, but i have lived here for too many years and for anyone to say Koh Samui is cleaner than Pattaya is a far stretch.

same/same!

all anyone does is throw stuff out the window all day, the locals, not the tourists. Koh Samet is famous for its mosquitoes and encroaching on the beach with buildings.

Pattaya is a city and being such it is urban and has urban problems like most anywhere. Koh Samui is an island, and a place that helped to motivate me to move here 20 years ago. i went back last year and i took 5 LBs from Nana with me. everyone agreed, Koh Samui is a sh*t hole now (rare occasion when a Thai speaks poorly of their homeland, that is a real sign of how bad it is). it may not appear that way to anyone who was never been there before, or was not there when it was beautiful, but it's environment has been totally degraded, (many pictures you see of Thailand are 10 or 15 years old and do not reflect the reality on the ground.) the locals (one of the biggest mafias in Thailand) are rude and unappreciative of your custom, and getting around the island is a suicide trip (as with most Thai islands). but, there are ladyboys there. similar to anything you will buy on an island it is more expensive there than most of Thailand.

budget has a lot to do with what i could suggest to you, so keep that in mind. Koh Chang is still not too bad for environment and water quality, but also, not a lot of bars and i saw only 1 or 2 LBs there. but if you find one you like and take her there, lots of fun.

i lived and worked in Pattaya for a few years. and being a bustling city (that province is only second to BKK for revenue) it has a lot to offer. but it also has its downside like any city. but, the pickings are good and the girls not too unreasonable.

price variations from place to place, for a newbie, are pretty much a moot point. if you cannot speak Thai, do not know the game and smell fresh to them, they will always ask for more than what is the going rate. and many will not back down during high season. low season is a buyer’s market most anywhere.

Nana plaza is the place for choice/variety, price stability/fair trade, good rooms for short time and hotels that do not care, and just good fun. granted it is not the beach, but if it's LBs you want, you got 'em. every size, shape, color, and personality. probably the largest concentration of TG girls anywhere (i have not been to Sao Paulo).

in Thailand when you check in to a hotel, ask them for a joiner stamp on your guest card. that is the card they keep at reception. then when you go to get your key most times there is no fee. if you wait, then they will charge you. talk to reception when you check in and ask for joiner free or joiner rate. most rooms booked with double occupancy will include this if you are alone and TELL THEM AT CHECK IN. (i work in Thai hotels, believe me, this is the way to do it.) no need to say LB or GG, they care not, just a joiner. the fee covers breakfast, towels and water and amenities usage. if you book a single and use the room for 2 they feel you are cheating them. if you book a double, tell them the second person is a joiner, and she may vary from night to night. so do it all up front and save everyone a hassle.

Jomtien is just over the hill from Pattaya, another place i have lived, and the beach there is not too bad, and there is a good scene at the beach, too. it is all only an hour and a half bus ride from BKK and only costs a few dollars to get there. if you go and don't don’t like, get back on the bus and come back to BKK.

Pattaya has over 300 restaurants, much of them good, some of them excellent. also being a large community there are many things (food for one and song-tao transports) that are priced for locals. Koh Samui and Phuket have none of this. most Thais refuse to work on the islands because it is all so expensive, even for them. Pattaya is not like that, and neither is BKK.

as far as the “banana republic” kind of elements, you will find that all over SE Asia, just as you will in the southern hemisphere, so learn to avoid that stuff and just have a good time. there is a learning curve with all of this, so be prepared to have some ugly incidents, some “mis-understandings and a few blatant attempts to rip you off. just keep repeating the mantra - "i am here to have fun. i am here to have fun. i am here to have fun. not easy, but if you can achieve this grasshoppa, you will be totally chuffed about the great time you are having.

when you are spending money for rooms, transportation and girls (items where there is no menu or schedule of pricing) simply say “excuse me, how much is it?” or in Thai, “kaa-tord, tao-arrai, nah krap?”. prefacing most any question with “excuse me” disarms them and puts you on a level playing field, most times. never be afraid to speak to sex workers about what you want, politely. make sure they will do what you want. once in a room you will probably not be able to fix this if it is not to your liking.

never involve the authorities unless a real crime has been committed against you. it will only tie up your time, cost a lot more money, and you will feel like an ass. it is a big game and everyone there is involved, everyone. i know this from experience. even the tourist police, whose job it is to help and protect you are on the wrong side of the fence there, yours. they try to do what they can, but they are outnumbered by the regular police, have very little sympathy for punters who do not know how it all works, and have limited resources to help even when they try.
    if you want a well rounded vacation, try Pattaya.

bottom line, if all you want is to rub some uglies and do the horizontal bop on your vacation, BKK is the place, and anywhere else will do, too. BUT ALL OF THIS IS JUST MY OPINION!

february is high season, if at all possible come after mid-april. yes it is raining more, but it is a buyer’s market. rainy season is fun, at least i think so. much more laid back, really cheap and not anywhere near as crowded. as soon as the Songkran festival is over, the entire country goes to lo-season rates, if you see otherwise, call them on it or go elsewhere. any booking you can make in person is cheaper, better and more secure. always ask to see a room and check the water pressure and temp, and also anything else like the TV and min-fridge that is important to you.

if you are in a room for a few days, and you are not going to use the mini-bar, call reception and ask them to ask housekeeping to empty it out for you so you do not have a girl eat and drink it all while you are on the toilet or asleep. that can add up and ruin your day. most hotels understand and will comply. when the maid or porter comes to do that, take a picture of them doing it. i think you know why. always cover your butt if you still haven't figured it out.

NOTE: LOOK OUT THE WINDOW OF THE ROOM, if you see construction, do not believe what anyone tells you about the noise. many construction jobs run around the clock. building season is high-season because it is dry, no rain, and they must get it done before the monsoons come.

and ask about joiners, always ask about joiners.

one additional note on joiners: reception in most places will ask for the girls ID card. this is for a few reasons. one, if there is a fire they need to know who is in which room and how many. second, if she steals from you or the hotel or creates a disturbance, they can control/find her. third, ask them while they are copying the ID card what her age is. again, COVER YOUR BUTT.

any more questions, just PM or ask here. glad to help.
    You are not going to get a better info post than this.

As someone who has spent the pretty much the past 10 years of my life in Thailand, this guy nailed it (and Ming) I believe.

Great post mate.

5 Star Poster

thanx for the GREAT info

Rookie Poster

If you have the money go to Phuket! The hotels off the beach are in expensive, no bar fines, loads of ladyboys.

The beach is wonderful and the seafood is awesome. If I were going on holiday to Thailand and didn't have to work I would go to Phuket.

Also Phuket has loads of things to do outside of tranny-chasing.

Elephant treks, boat trips to outer islands, temples, not to mention you can rent a car or motor bike and ride around without the constant fear of dying or asshole Bhat buses like in Bkk and Pattaya.

I hate Pattaya it is dirty has nothing of any real value to offer other than sex.

Bangkok is fantastic it has loads of cultural attractions, loads of shopping, loads of bars and girls.

If it is just sex you want and you don't care to see any thing Thailand has to offer, go to Pattaya.

If you want all of the conveniences of home easy access to a bevy of talent you have seen on the web. Shopping and places to see. Stay in Bangkok.

If you love a nice beach, great food, exploring, and easy access to loads of LB. and lots of things to see. Go to Phuket.

Samui is nice but you get ripped off alot there. Phi Phi is nice it was all but destroyed in the Tsunami. It has rebuilt and is still over run with Back Packers.

My 2 cents

Silver Poster

Lifemember